Lightweight FFP scopes?

Elite

WKR
Hello Everyone,

I am looking at setting up a ultralight mountain gun. I have tried a few lightweight dialing scopes and have had bad luck with the returning to zero. I was hoping to find a MOA reticle but hate the idea of having to be zoomed in on max for the hash marks to read properly. I have also thought about a swaro Z5 with the BRH reticle but I'm worried it wont be as accurate as true MOA hash marks even with there ballistic software

Any recommendations on a scope or a path forward?

MThuntr

WKR
Not a lot out there would be considered "light"....Trijicon TenMile HX is 24oz and has MOA.

Switch to MRAD and the nonHD SWFA 3-15 is at 23oz
SWFA HD 3-9 is 19oz
SWFA HD 10x is 20oz
SWFA nonHD 6x is 20oz (MOA)
SWFA nonHD 10x is 21oz (MOA)

Wrench

WKR
Lightweight guns are hell on scopes. Don't try to save much here.

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
Not a lot out there would be considered "light"....Trijicon TenMile HX is 24oz and has MOA.

Switch to MRAD and the nonHD SWFA 3-15 is at 23oz
SWFA HD 3-9 is 19oz
SWFA HD 10x is 20oz
SWFA nonHD 6x is 20oz (MOA)
SWFA nonHD 10x is 21oz (MOA)
It doesn't seem like it. my last scope was 23oz and it felt awkwardly top heavy on a 5.5lb gun

Macintosh

WKR
Closest Ive found is the s&b 3-12x42 at 20oz. Either that or a low power optic like a 3-9 in sfp with a mil dot or moa-dot, so being zoomed up isnt such a big deal.

Trijicon Tenmile 3-18x44 is the most rugged I know of. I do prefer the Vortex in some ways though. People dog on the Vortex durability but I have seen the scopes go through full hunting seasons with no issues or loss of zero.

To spend more money also look at March Scopes.

The Leupold Mark 5 is decently light but has a lot of haters.

manitou1

WKR
Hello Everyone,

I am looking at setting up a ultralight mountain gun. I have tried a few lightweight dialing scopes and have had bad luck with the returning to zero. I was hoping to find a MOA reticle but hate the idea of having to be zoomed in on max for the hash marks to read properly. I have also thought about a swaro Z5 with the BRH reticle but I'm worried it wont be as accurate as true MOA hash marks even with there ballistic software

There are quite a few MOA reticles in first focal plane... meaning the reticle is accurate at any magnification.
Second focal plane scopes are what you are referring to. MOA vs MRAD can both be had in either second focal plane or first.
With second focal plane, your reticle is only calibrated for max zoom of that scope, although you can do the math and compensate, ex: a 18 power max zoom requires a 10 MOA hold but at nine power, it would require a 5 MOA HOLD. Leaves room for error in the heat of the moment and personally, can be a challenge when not using easy numbers.

As far as a dependable scope that is lighter in weight than many, I can recommend the Trijicon Ten Mile (24 oz.). A very dependable scope for dialing and they hold and return to zero consistently.

I am not aware of a rugged, dependable scope that weighs Under that weight that has a proven track record.

manitou1

WKR
No offense to the March lovers, honestly... but I have seen multiple charts indicating that March scopes are WAY down on the list as far as tracking and return to zero accuracy/dependability go. So many that I cringe when somebody recommends them.

Before challenging me, do some searches. I am just the messenger.

My hope is that your March is the anomoly and you have nothing but the best of luck with it.

Beetroot

Lil-Rokslider
Hello Everyone,

If you want an ultralight scope then your only options are SFP, the Swarvo Z3 and Z5, and the Leupold VX3 scopes are by far the lightest scopes on the market.

All the lightweight FFP scopes on the market have been mentioned already.

What magnification range, and how heavy are you wanting to go?

No offense to the March lovers, honestly... but I have seen multiple charts indicating that March scopes are WAY down on the list as far as tracking and return to zero accuracy/dependability go. So many that I cringe when somebody recommends them.

My hope is that your March is the anomoly and you have nothing but the best of luck with it.

Where? I've thought they generally track consistently it's just that their value per click tends to be off. My sample of 1 was.

That was the least of it's worries. Parallax adjustment was atrocious and getting a focused image, sharp (not fuzzy) reticle, and parallax free took an act of congress. Depth of focus was crazy shallow. Sure, it had lots of bells and whistles. The weight was nice. The turrets were nice. but it was a POS when it comes to basic scope functions that we take for granted with most scopes. Not at all a good aiming device in actual use.

I did more than just searches….. I’ve performed multiple tracking tests with March and they perform as well as Nightforce. These tests were done multiple times over a 30 moa dial up. And I’ve spun the dials hundreds of times between tests. I’ve yet to have a March not track true or lose zero. Maybe I’ve just gotten super lucky with the ones I’ve had. 2 are missing from this list as I sold the scopes but they were right there w the 3 listed. I just purchased 2 more so I will have additional data shortly.
IMG_1187.png

BBob

WKR
it's just that their value per click tends to be off
That was probably the early ones that used a different mil value. They tracked just fine but just to a different value. It tripped people up at first. They corrected it long ago to what aligns with everyone else.

That was probably the early ones that used a different mil value. They tracked just fine but just to a different value. It tripped people up at first. They corrected it long ago to what aligns with everyone else.
It wasn’t. The early ones used a mil dimension that would have had less movement per click. This one moved more per click. Regardless, that wasn’t even really a concern for me because the clicks were consistent, repeatable, not that far off, and can be easily accounted for in a ballistic calculator. Was the other stuff I didn’t like. A LRHS was a major functional upgrade.