Lightweight Folding Tikka Chassis

I'm planning to switch from a stock to a chassis on my primary Tikka for two primary reasons. First, to be able to fold it up. This allows me to carry a 24" barrel shorter than my previous 22". Second, for modularity. The idea is to leave it light and minimalist for backpack hunts, and add weights/accessories when doing truck based hunts. This is going on a 6 UM that will weigh about 8 lbs, so not a heavy recoiling rifle.

General Requirements:
  • Folding
  • 3 lbs or less in minimal form
  • Not an absurd lead time
  • Preferably under 1K all in
  • ARCA attachment
  • Sling attachments
  • Bipod attachment, Spartan compatible in backpack mode

Options I'm currently aware of:
  • KRG Bravo
    • Affordable, good ergos and function.
    • Not folding. Would need to go on a bit of a diet but that looks doable.
    • In stock. Lots of accessories.
  • MDT ACC
    • Base can be purchased separately
    • Would need to be cut down
    • In stock. Lots of accessories
    • Stock options are heavy, needs 2x adapters to use a light carbine stock
  • MDT ESS
    • Base can be purchased separately, affordable
    • Could be run as the base only with no handguard to save weight
      • Would need to sort out bipod and sling attachments in this configuration
    • In stock. Lots of accessories.
    • Stock options are heavy, needs 2x adapters to use a light carbine stock
  • XLR
    • Would be my first choice, but lead times are up there with ATF approval times
    • JA has them in stock, but only with the carbon stock and grip that puts the price at $1300
    • My ideal choice overall, but the lead time is a deal breaker. Really wish they inlet the Atom for the T3x
  • MDT LSS
    • Affordable, in stock
    • Accessories available
    • ARCA not integrated for some reason
  • MDT HNT 26
    • Light. Doesn't need a bunch of mods
    • Fixed in stock. Folders are 8-10 wks out
    • Price is nearly double what I'd like to spend
Any other suggestions that I'm missing? Ultimately an XLR without a $200 carbon grip and a cheaper stock would be my ideal option, but it will be darn near spring before I'd have it in hand.

I didn't want the carbon grip on my xlr either but the order from JA showed up in half the expected lead time. I figured I'd sell the grip or put it on one of my arms instead. Not ideal but some money could be made up by selling it. Had the HNT 26 originally but after having both I much prefer the xlr, and having a way to adjust the tension on the folding mechanism is a must.. I vote get the element 4.0 and recoup some costs by selling the grip. 2nd option. I'd entertain would be the lss chassis with a srs arca rail and an XLR folder with the stock of your choosing. I didn't do the math but I'm willing to bet once you add all that up it's approaching the same price point of the element 4.0.

No free lunch with these chassis, trust me I tried to find a way.

I didn't want the carbon grip on my xlr either but the order from JA showed up in half the expected lead time. I figured I'd sell the grip or put it on one of my arms instead. Not ideal but some money could be made up by selling it. Had the HNT 26 originally but after having both I much prefer the xlr, and having a way to adjust the tension on the folding mechanism is a must.. I vote get the element 4.0 and recoup some costs by selling the grip. 2nd option. I'd entertain would be the lss chassis with a srs arca rail and an XLR folder with the stock of your choosing. I didn't do the math but I'm willing to bet once you add all that up it's approaching the same price point of the element 4.0.

No free lunch with these chassis, trust me I tried to find a way.
Forgot to mention, i LOVE the thumb rest

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’m getting an XLR, they are expensive but I know it will be cheaper for me in the end to just get exactly what I want the first time around.

JA Outdoors, CS Tactical, Front Range Precision, and others regularly have XLR chassis packages in stock. Biggest problem XLR is their lengths of pull are WAY too long. As you mentioned the carbon grip is also a dumb added cost as you can get polymer grips that weigh sub 2 oz for $25. Also, bare metal can a not great if you live/shoot/hunt somewhere that gets pretty cold.

For the cheaper KRG options, I prefer the X-Rays ergonomics to the Bravo. With any of the KRG options, you need to figure on adding several hundred of accessories. If you’re looking at a bravo (non folding), and you’re also willing to spend ~$1,000, I’d step up to a Manners EH-1 with mini chassis. I think the LRH is better, and the Pro-Hunter might be as well, but you have a tikka.

I’ve had a couple ACCs, and have liked them. They are on the heavy side, and I personally would not consider one for a hunting rifle.

The MDT HNT26 is the current lightweight chassis to beat. There are things about it that I don’t really like, and I’ve written about it in a few threads, but it’s the best lightweight chassis with folder, adjustable comb, and adjustable LOP so far.
I've had 2 develop a serious wobble after hunting with them for only 1 trip each. IMO they have some serious design flaws to overcome before being a truly good lightweight chassis.

The circled portion has the carbon glued into the metal folder and there is not enough material to counter the leverage applied with the length of stock extending behind it. I can't say enough good things about MDT as a company but this is a failure point I'm surprised more aren't talking about. That, and the fact that the front carbon handguard is held on by 3 tiny bolts with again no metal contact support going forward. Also no matter how hard I clamped my bipod on the carbon arca it would slide a little with every shot.

Attachments

• 20221006_141806.jpg
    20221006_141806.jpg
    283 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:

grfox92

WKR
KRG would be out in my mind due to the weight. If you buy the chassis alone from either company, MDT or XLR and add your own grip and buttstock ect you will surely be a full pound less then the Bravo.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
There's no getting around the XLR LOP issue though. Most people have a shorter length of pull than they think. Even so, the XLR with carbon buttstock & folder is exceedingly longer than the LOP most people think they have. There's also no ability to fine tune LOP. Smoke Composites makes AR accessories, and you can see that the buttstock has a typical AR angle to it, which is also not a good thing for a precision rifle IMO. The workaround for XLR is to get a TR2 (or similar), which throws it completely out of the lightweight category. For me, until I can get an XLR that actually fits and is conducive to 'modern shooting', they are not a consideration. I'm not willing to build positions to accommodate my rifle - I want my rifle to accommodate my shooting positions.
Just wanted to touch on a few points here. First would have to be the LOP that is achieved with the 12.5" carbon buttstock and folder. Typically, this comes in around 13 3/4"- 14" (depending on your trigger shoe) which seems to be the standard throughout the industry. This is our most popular configuration, and we have a lot of guys running it from hunters to NRL Hunter competitors, so it is being ran in numerous different modern shooting venues throughout the nation. There has definitely been a trend of shooters running shorter length of pulls than they measure for shooting off of heights that are less comfortable, but this is 1% of the shooters. The other 99% are going to be shooting the majority of shots prone or in a sitting position.

I will agree though that some shooters do need a shorter LOP and that is why we have the TR-2, C6, or a fixed carbon 12.5" buttstock. The reality is we have not seen enough demand to get an even shorter carbon buttstock that would allow shooters to be at a 13" LOP when folded. It sounds like that would be what you would prefer but we cannot justify it with the demand we have seen.

As far as the angle of the buttstock goes, I have not heard any complaints from our pro shooters or any other customers about it. I have spent a fair amount of time behind a 12 lb 6.5 PRC in matches and have not found any negative impact from the angle. I would love to hear what you are seeing on target with the buttstock though! Sometimes it comes down to just not noticing an issue until it is mentioned.

Overall I just wanted to touch on those few points from my perspective. There are a ton of different body types and shooting styles out there so maybe other stocks or chassis just fit your shooting style a little better but I wouldn't label the buttstocks as an issue when there are thousands of people running them without any problems. We are always open to suggestions though and I have written these down for suggestions so if they continue maybe we can make a change!

The HNT26 definitely has drawbacks.
  • I think you're the first person I've heard that has had issues with the folder. Mine has been rock solid, but time will tell. I prefer the folder of the MDT to the XLR so far, but both fold the wrong direction.
  • I'm not a fan of the included MDT grip, but that's a pretty easy fix. I'll probably try out the newer vertical carbon grip, which allows for adjustable grip-to-trigger distance.
  • I've read several people make statements about how the MDT forend is connected, and I may have made similar statements as well - but I've yet to experience or hear of any actual problems with it.
  • There is definitely something going on with MDTs ARCA spec with these HNT26's or maybe it has to do with the coating used, but I (and many others) have had the same issue with slippage. There are ways around it, but it's a drawback for sure. Also, I haven't reached out to MDT yet about the slippage that I've experienced, so maybe there was just a bad run?
  • The buttpad sucks. It's definitely a place MDT dropped weight, and I would've take an extra few ounces in exchange for a better experience through recoil.
There's no getting around the XLR LOP issue though. Most people have a shorter length of pull than they think. Even so, the XLR with carbon buttstock & folder is exceedingly longer than the LOP most people think they have. There's also no ability to fine tune LOP. Smoke Composites makes AR accessories, and you can see that the buttstock has a typical AR angle to it, which is also not a good thing for a precision rifle IMO. The workaround for XLR is to get a TR2 (or similar), which throws it completely out of the lightweight category. For me, until I can get an XLR that actually fits and is conducive to 'modern shooting', they are not a consideration. I'm not willing to build positions to accommodate my rifle - I want my rifle to accommodate my shooting positions.

Even with the drawbacks, the MDT is still the top contender IMO. Hopefully a few other options start filtering in soon.
The wobble that developed in now 2 of mine was bad enough that the end of the stock would move up and down nearly a half an inch and the other upwards of an inch. That is unacceptable. And seeing it 2x is the reason I'm comfortable bringing it up. Maybe it's because I don't baby any of my gear, but a 1700 chassis should not wobble after 1 trip.

Just wanted to touch on a few points here. First would have to be the LOP that is achieved with the 12.5" carbon buttstock and folder. Typically, this comes in around 13 3/4"- 14" (depending on your trigger shoe) which seems to be the standard throughout the industry. This is our most popular configuration, and we have a lot of guys running it from hunters to NRL Hunter competitors, so it is being ran in numerous different modern shooting venues throughout the nation. There has definitely been a trend of shooters running shorter length of pulls than they measure for shooting off of heights that are less comfortable, but this is 1% of the shooters. The other 99% are going to be shooting the majority of shots prone or in a sitting position.

I will agree though that some shooters do need a shorter LOP and that is why we have the TR-2, C6, or a fixed carbon 12.5" buttstock. The reality is we have not seen enough demand to get an even shorter carbon buttstock that would allow shooters to be at a 13" LOP when folded. It sounds like that would be what you would prefer but we cannot justify it with the demand we have seen.

As far as the angle of the buttstock goes, I have not heard any complaints from our pro shooters or any other customers about it. I have spent a fair amount of time behind a 12 lb 6.5 PRC in matches and have not found any negative impact from the angle. I would love to hear what you are seeing on target with the buttstock though! Sometimes it comes down to just not noticing an issue until it is mentioned.

Overall I just wanted to touch on those few points from my perspective. There are a ton of different body types and shooting styles out there so maybe other stocks or chassis just fit your shooting style a little better but I wouldn't label the buttstocks as an issue when there are thousands of people running them without any problems. We are always open to suggestions though and I have written these down for suggestions so if they continue maybe we can make a change!
Since we have the opportunity to leave suggestions...these are nit-picking items but things I wouldn't mind seeing in future versions nonetheless.

Narrow The chassis at the rear end directly above the grip so that it is more ergonomic for placement of thumb on thumb rest.

More options regarding length of pull in the carbon stock.

OP
PathFinder
@TK-421 brought up a good point about LOP that I hadn't been considering. The shortest MDT option for a folder is also 13.75", which is .5"-.75" longer than I'd like. The KRG Whiskey 3 will go down to 13", but it's on the pricy and heavy side both.
It looks possible to modify the buffer tube on any of the carbine style stocks to shorten LOP. That may be what I end up doing.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I may be setting mine up completely wrong because I prefer the folder, 12.5" carbon, and 1/2" spacer to get the length how I like it.

OP
PathFinder
Which MDT are you referring too? The MDT HNT26 has an adjustable LOP from 12.5" - 13.5" (using 1/4" spacers).

The XLR, with a folder & 12.5" buffer, is going to be about 14". I had several stocking dealers drop barreled actions into the chassis and shoot me dimensions. @ID_Matt measured his, and I think he said 13.75 - 14", depending on where you measure to on the buttstock (it's angled). Smoke composites makes the buffer tube, and they list an offering on their website to make a custom length. I called and e-mailed and called and e-mailed because I wanted to make an XLR work, but I never heard back from them. Maybe you will have better luck.

Length of pull is a big deal, particularly shooting positionally. It's really the the foundation in establishing fitment to the rifle. A LOP of 14" is really LOOONNNGGG. Unless you're ~6' 8", you will probably break bone support in the prone to cycle the bolt, you'll probably have to blade your body when shooting positionally, and you will generally have to fight your gear more than you should. Like I've said, people can and do accommodate ill fitting gear all the time. I've done it as well. I just think we should be beyond that point - especially with aftermarket options.
That was anything but the HNT26 with a folding option. LSS, LSS XL, ESS, and ACC.
If I modify a buffer tube I'll do it myself.

OP
PathFinder
The ESS has a carbon forend option but they are proud of them $$$.

View attachment 575657
Just noticed those today, they look nice but maybe not $400 nice. They're about .5lb, and the equivalent aluminum is .75lb. For the purpose of this build I'd probably go without a handguard on backpack trips and use an aluminum one with weights for truck hunts.

Just noticed those today, they look nice but maybe not $400 nice. They're about .5lb, and the equivalent aluminum is .75lb. For the purpose of this build I'd probably go without a handguard on backpack trips and use an aluminum one with weights for truck hunts.
I have a folding ESS and I have the 12", 15", and the carbon. I'm selling the 15" actually so if you end up going that route and if i still have it.

It's too bad your build wasn't a 700 LA because I have that base too. I switched to the cip LA for a 300prc.

NSI

WKR
Answer is XLR with a carbine to Pic interface and the Sig, MWI, or Pork Sword folding stock options. All shorter and lighter. Wish XLR would get off the carbine standard and just put Pic back there for weight savings and ergonomics anyway. There’s no buffer spring to run, using a carbine tube is just skeuomorphic at this point.

I have found the HNT26 Arca to slip and the folding stock LOP certainly isn’t short. But it locks up solid.

-J

OP
PathFinder
Answer is XLR with a carbine to Pic interface and the Sig, MWI, or Pork Sword folding stock options. All shorter and lighter. Wish XLR would get off the carbine standard and just put Pic back there for weight savings and ergonomics anyway. There’s no buffer spring to run, using a carbine tube is just skeuomorphic at this point.

I have found the HNT26 Arca to slip and the folding stock LOP certainly isn’t short. But it locks up solid.

-J
Now you're on to something! I went down this rabbit hole a bit and found a couple of decent options. Most stocks are very carbine oriented but there are a couple ways to go that might work: