Load Data .280 rem

Hoyts n Mulies

Lil-Rokslider
Hi All,

I unexpectedly picked up a new (been in the box for 12 years) .280 rem in a Tikka m695 24" barrel. I'm looking at building a load for this in using something in the 120gr. bullet range and I'm curious if anyone here has experimented with this and if so what powders they were successful with?

Considering the following:

Barnes TSX 120gr.
RL 22 or H4831

I know this is not the most popular bullet size for this caliber but I want to set it up different than my other 280.

I already have a Weatherby Mark V Ultralight in a .280 with a 24" barrel that I'm shooting Hornady 139gr. SST's with H4350.

OP
Hoyts n Mulies

Hoyts n Mulies

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks GKPrice.

I have 4/5 loading books including Nosler, Barnes and Hornady but i was curious on what others have found since the 120 gr. is very rarely a recommended bullet.

JasonWi

WKR
Just another suggestion but maybe set this .280 up with heavier bullets as your other one is already shooting 139 grain.

I shoot a 7mmRM so basically ballistic twins and I've killed multiple bulls with the 160AB. It just hammers animals and shoots MOA with 65.5 grain of RL22 (yes I'm over what the book lists max is, but very safe in my rifle). You might really like the 140AB, 150TTSX?

Last edited:

AXEL

WKR
I don't bother with light bullets in my .280s, have three customs in this superb chambering and after trying 140-175 gr. bullets, I now load only 150/160s. I have several loads with different Euro. and US bullets, but, 160NPs over about 60-7828 or 57-RE-22, these are MAX but OK in my chambers, are about ideal.

I have two fine 7mm Mauser and a full custom UL 7-08 for lighter bullets, but, the .280 is IT, IMO, for general BC hunting.

LaGriz

WKR
My .280 mt. rifle only likes particular 160 gr. loads. The 139-14o grainers are hard to keep on a pipe plate at a 100yds! Over the years I have had good groups with Win silvertips, fail safes, Spear Nitrex grand slams, and lastly the Accubond all in 160 gr. - every time I find a load that shoots decent it gets discontinued. I have 1 1/2 boxes of the Hornady AB and 3/4 of a box of the Win. Fail Safes. I don't yet reload. I guess it's the twist in the barrel that determines if a certain weight bullet will work in a particular rifle. I have killed more game with this weapon than any other. The stock looks like a canoe paddle, between horse back-hunting, tree stands, and the worst thing on a rifle is trip on a boat. The factoy trigger has too much creep and is in need of love. My Kimber 8400 and my Model 70 featherweight have far better triggers. I find myself reaching for this ole stand by when I want to make a hard hunt and need an accurate shot. The .280 is an awesome caliber for anything in North America other than a Big Bear.
LaGriz

OP
Hoyts n Mulies

Hoyts n Mulies

Lil-Rokslider
I'll consider the heavier bullet but to be honest, I have shot two bulls with 139 gr. rounds including one over 300 and both were down inside 30 yards. I didn't get pass through on the longer shot but was burried in the offside shoulder (bullet retention was around 85%).

Appreciate the replies. It does make me consider perhaps getting it chambered in a AI. Should be fun to play with but it will take me a while to get it setup how I want.

gethuntin

WKR
Decision decisions and load development Sounds like a lot of work and I am sure your busy I'll gladly buy it from you to free you of the burden... Jk (kinda) sounds like a nice find.always been tempted to get a 280