Lodge pole instead of aluminum pole

dyrtnappn

FNG
I have a kifaru 12 man tipi that I’ve always used as a base camp. I drew a coveted bull tag and will need the ability to pack in for a few days. I don’t want to shell out the cash for a new ultralight tent so I was wondering if anyone has ever ditched their aluminum pole and just used a stout piece of wood to pitch their tipi before? This would put my weight at about 7.5 lbs with the ability to comfortably sleep 4 dudes and gear. I’ll test it out when I go to scout but just wanted to pick some brains about it!

alecvg

Lil-Rokslider
Easy to do. Easiest way I have found is to have a piece of paracord that you cut to the length you need the pole, to be able to measure as you cut in the field. One plus is the ability to keep some short branches on it for hanging gear, just need to be careful not to rip the tipi with the branches.

UtahJimmy

WKR
I do it all the time with my tarp tents. I'd rather have my trekking poles with me so I find a stick or 2 to replace them. Added benefit is you can hang gear on them as long as they're not smooth!