Long Taxidermy Lead Times

Is anyone else encountering long lead times on taxidermy? I dropped off my mule deer cape in the fall of 2021 and still nothing. It’s a reputable taxidermist but I guess the tannery that he sends the capes to has been backed up ever since Covid. Anyone else in the same boat?

Almost two years is pretty long. I would ask exactly where your deer falls in line. Also, did you do a down payment? If not then your taxi could be waiting on that. If you did then I would just politely find out how many more are in front of yours. Don’t demand an exact time when it will be done either. Stuff happens and can set the work back even further. I quit using the big tanneries and was lucky enough to find a one man tannery a couple of hours drive from me. Saved me a ton of money in shipping costs and he was fairly fast getting my capes done.

I'm in the same boat. My September 2021 buck still isn't done. My two coworkers shot antelope couple weeks before I shot the buck and Theirs were done before November of 22. When talking to the taxidermist blamed the tannery and the forms for being backed up.

TSAMP

WKR
I'm getting my 2 bears tomorrow after over a two year wait. This is just rugs. I was told they got lost but I think my local taxidermist sat on them awhile before sending them out. I'm getting one bear done for free because of the delay. I was pretty vocal checking in every few months after the 1 year mark.

On the flip side. I sent out 8 beaver hides to a tannery in late April and got the call they are all done and shipping. They had told me sept delivery Initially. So they seem to be keeping up.

As some reference. I remember Dad’s mule deer mounts taking several years - and that was back in early 90s

Some things just never change

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TaperPin

WKR
Wow - two years is a long time. The taxidermists I’ve known are very good at planning their work flow in an efficient way - this keeps them busy all year. Taxidermist doing nothing waiting on capes - hmm. I find it interesting to have a two year backlog with new animals coming in any day.

Good help is expensive these past few years, it could be he lost a helper, or his tanner lost a helper, but if it was a bottleneck at the tanner some capes will definitely go to a different tanner just so he can stay busy. I know a couple of people that have long Covid and their productivity has really suffered, but there are a number of things that can slow any of us down.

I’d politely check in with him each week - he’ll get tired of hearing your voice and the mount will get sped up even if he says it doesn’t work that way.

OP
mistermystery
Interesting to hear that some other folks are seeing waits over a year. I did put 50% of the cost down upfront. I will have to give him a check in call soon and see if there is any update.

I’m going to add as well that a big tannery shouldn’t still be backed up because of Covid. They were the first year but most of them caught up pretty quick after that.

I reached out to several different taxidermists last week......some of the larger well known places like Dewey's, Monarch, Zimmerman as well as some others recommended by friends. Almost all of them were at least 1 year, some as long as 18 months, and they are blaming the tannery for the delay. They all use the Wildlife Gallery which has locations in Blanchard, MI and Mountain Home, TX.

Anything more than 6 months is unacceptable to me. I ask them up front.

If they are not willing to commit to 6 months - 1 year MAX, I find another taxidermist.

There is absolutely no reason someone should have your animal for more than 1 year.

Good things come to those that wait (within reason ha). If there’s a short backlog - then that shows the word got out and it’s a reputable taxidermist that is (or should be) performing quality work.

Ya don’t really want somebody to rush a “lifetime” piece

But… an accurate timeline should be the gold standard (whatever that timeline may be)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Someone who has never been a taxidermist demanding work be completed in 6 months or less?! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I used The Wildlife Gallery for a long time. They seemed to always mix my capes up with other taxidermists and then say some of my capes were ruined because of hair slippage. I always marked them properly for my records and according to how they wanted them. Switched to the guy I use now about 6 years ago and no problems. Ever.

WCB

WKR
Anything more than 6 months is unacceptable to me. I ask them up front.

If they are not willing to commit to 6 months - 1 year MAX, I find another taxidermist.

There is absolutely no reason someone should have your animal for more than 1 year.
I shop for quality not speed. I can find a taxidermist to get my work done in 3 or 4 months but they do junk work. I agree that some of the wait times are insane but a year is basically standard give or take a month or two. 2 years is absolutely insane...1.5 years is getting there for sure. But to expect 6 months unless your are throwing a bit more money at them is way out of the norm.

To the OP or anyone else...the tannery excuse is just that...an excuse. The taxidermists know how back logged they are in work and a general timeline on when skins will get back to them. I had 4 deer done in 2021 and it took 1 year to almost the day to get the last one back. A couple were done in 10months and the taxi normally quotes about a year. My Bear from a year ago took about 3 months from the time my taxi sent it to the tannery to when I had it back to my house. Just a tanned skin not rugged and I brought him the skin 2 days before he was sending out a batch of hides for tanning .

I can see them being busy and it adding a month or two but no way the tanneries are cause 6mo-1yr delays. What was the original time frame you were quoted?

2 years minimum for the big game taxidermist I use. He says getting forms during covid was a nightmare. And is still backed up from it. He’s also a full time fire fighter and part time taxidermist. He’s damn good so I don’t mind the wait. I damn sure don’t trust a taxidermist if his wait is less than a year.

I use birdman for my ducks and his wait is about two years as well.

6 months for these. It’s the deal I make.

If someone wants my money they will bend to my schedule. I don’t bend to theirs.

Anyone who waits 2 years or more for an animal is crazy.

I wouldn't call this shit work either.

IMG_8188.jpeg71381529200__89E64B32-E32E-41EC-A669-1C6D1E53DDC0.jpeg

I know the taxidermist i use in Denver area had his long time tannery close door during covid. They should be catching up from Covid backlog, but i understand multiple tanneries closed in the last several years shifting load to other tanneries. Turn around time on tanning hides is an issue in alot if areas. Some tanneries can take almost a year just to get your hide back to taxi. I have a friend in Wyoming thats right at two years waiting for an elk mount.