Looking for a new 223. Need help

Dbevans

Lil-Rokslider
I know that its probably get a tikka and forget it and I am a huge fan of tikkas but I already have a few and want to spice it up. The other option I am thinking about is the sportsmans exclusive weatherby vanguard. I like cerakoted barrels because I live in Alaska and would ocean hunt with it. Other than a hunting rifle I would like to shoot some down range

Are there any other rifles Im not thinking of? I don’t want to get a browning because I already have a few of those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turkeytider

Lil-Rokslider
Have been very pleased with my Savage 110 Storm in .223. Excellent accuracy, stainless for your ocean hunts. As far as a dedicated range rifle in .223, I also have a Savage Model 12 LRPV that`s sub-MOA capable easily at 500 yards.

There's a nearly 3000 post thread on here basically dedicated to how awesome the tikka 223 is. The savages I've tried were not very good, and the howa with a 9 twist barrel isn't going to stabilize the heavy 22 cal bullets for you at sea level. If you refuse to go tikka, look for a mil spec AR

Last edited:
My buddy just got a cz 600 alpha and it's a pretty nice gun for the money. Shoots about 1.3-1.5moa 10 shot groups with a variety of cheap factory brass ammo. It's not cerakoted or offered in stainless though.
The Sauer 100 feels pretty good, handled one at lgs. It looked stainless but was cerakoted.

xrangerx

WKR
I went through this recently and went with a tikka. $700 for the stainless one. It is currently getting the barrel cut and threaded!

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Stainless Tikka and have it Cerakoted? Or send it off to H&M for nitriding?

I'm getting the action of my stainless Tikkas Cerakoted, barrels are consumable and I decided not to spend the monay on coating the barrel as well.

Sauer 100s look nice (never handled one though), but are 1:10 twist in 223.

ElPollo

WKR

letrbuck

WKR
My buddy just got a cz 600 alpha and it's a pretty nice gun for the money. Shoots about 1.3-1.5moa 10 shot groups with a variety of cheap factory brass ammo. It's not cerakoted or offered in stainless though.
The Sauer 100 feels pretty good, handled one at lgs. It looked stainless but was cerakoted.

Think your buddy could measure the max COAL? Looks like the 600 is built on 3 action sizes which is neat for 223 family stuff. Curious if the 1:7 twist can be fully taken advantage of by loading stuff long

BLJ

WKR
I’ve liked the Trail since they were first released. Really a utilitarian design IMO.

If only funds would allow…….

BLJ

WKR
Everyone is tracking that the cz600 had a massive safety related recall, right?
To my knowledge that had to do with the switch barrel system.
And I will admit that when I saw these were available, I assumed that they weren’t shipping out rifles that weren’t functioning properly.

If this is different, please post. Thanks.

I'm sure they fixed it. Currently have a 50k vehicle sitting unusable for a few months because a recall failed to fix the root cause, so my trust of manufacturers and recalls is at a low point.

Reactions: BLJ

Felton

WKR
I'm sure they fixed it. Currently have a 50k vehicle sitting unusable for a few months because a recall failed to fix the root cause, so my trust of manufacturers and recalls is at a low point.
The recall is because you could fire a round with a barrel that wasn’t fully seated. Causing catastrophic failed. From my understanding they are making them so you can’t switch the barrel or will have to send it to a gunsmith to switch it.

Here it is straight from CZ.

CZ recall

Last edited:
Reactions: BLJ

Hnthrdr

WKR
My tikka .223 1/8 just put 5 shots in 3 holes with hornady 75grn black… pretty hard to argue with