Looking for ideas for stops on family vacation

wildcat33

WKR
This was recommended by a friend but it was a little pricey.

I'm open to suggestions.

That cabin looks pretty awesome. Tough to say though, everyone has different preferences of what they like. Glenwood is certainly a beautiful area with lots to do, especially with the family. Since you mentioned WY in your post, one option to consider would be taking a more northerly route through CO. There are certainly cabins and good fishing to be found along the north platte, both in CO and WY (somewhere in the Cowdrey to Encampment corridor). Another option, and not knowing anything about you, the one I would bet my money on is Trappers Lake. Cabins, lakes, good fishing, canoe rentals, power goes out at 9.30. Beautiful, family friendly, secluded. Food for thought. Have fun!

IMHO 10-12 days is going to be a pretty fast trip to hit all the places you mentioned, unless you're just burning from one to the next. Maybe your kids are really good at getting along in the car? If it were me, I would pick a smaller area and explore it more thoroughly.

There are so many awesome National Parks I wouldn't do anything but those. Most have some kind of cabin you can rent as well as drive up campsites that make it pretty easy. Utah is the state that really drew me in as a kid from the first time I visited. If you and your kids haven't seen it yet it could be well worth adding to the list.

My wife and I did a Colorado/Utah trip last year and have talked about it weekly since we got back.

Good luck and Kudos to you for making a trip like this possible for your kids. I cherish the trips with my family and look forward to doing the same with my own kids when they come along.

ben h

Lil-Rokslider
If you're going to hit more than 2-3 national parks or places that have an entrance/daily fee, buy the "annual pass" and you'll save some money. It's $80 for the entire year and I can usually find a buddy to split it with since you can have 2 names on the card and no sense putting your wife on there since you'll be there anyway and can bring in guests (I think the limit is something like 6-10 so it's not really a practical limit). The chances of both people on the card going simultaneously is pretty slim, so sharing one has never been a problem for me.

If you decide to add any of the Utah parks, don't go in the summer, it's way too hot (I think someone died just last week from dehydration/heat). Late Sept-October or April-May will be much more enjoyable.

Yosemite is in California. That's a hell of a trip for 10-12 days. I'll second spending more time in fewer places, so you can really see it instead of just drive for 4k miles and see some stuff along the way. I could spend a week easy in just Yellowstone/grand teton.

Have a great trip.

ben

Last edited:
OP
D

dayhunt85

FNG
I said Yosemite, I meant Yellowstone...

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

Phil4

Lil-Rokslider
The stuff that's already on your way that's been mentioned I'd confirm crazy horse and devils tower are both really cool since you're definitely gonna be in the black hills seeing Rushmore. I saw Rushmore for the first time at 30 and I thought it was awesome fwiw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sooner

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like a fun trip! We've taken my 7 year old to many NPs. One of the coolest was this summer in CO. Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve. Definitely worth going to imo. Especially if the river is running.
f8d3f47ec76434c5c2e6383ce40aaa76.jpg

7a1d4f65c24b53f6dca89a6f3934dd30.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ScottinPA

WKR
We're planning to do similar the last 2 weeks in August. We're limiting it to SD, WY, & MT. Rough plan is Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Devils Tower, Little Big Horn, Yellowstone then up to Kalispell and the Bison National Range. No lodging plans just find someplace at the end of the day. I'll be watching this thread for more ideas.

DO NOT miss the Mammoth Site in Hot Springs SD close to Rushmore. This is a must see and your kids will be wild for it!

GShaw

FNG
Western South Dakota - Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Badlands Natl Park, Custer State Park, Needles Highway, Bear Country & Reptile Gardens (for the kids), Jewel Cave, Wind Cave, Black Elk Peak (long hike but amazing views), Mammoth Springs.

Eastern South Dakota - Palisades State Park

Places to skip in SD - Corn Palace, Wall Drug, pretty much anywhere East of the Missouri River.

RBNM

FNG
I just did a fast whirlwind western tour of Co, WY, and UT. It was done without kids but while visiting Dinosaur National Monument I realized how cool I would have found it as a child. If your kids like dinosaurs it may be worth a stop if you're nearby. Fossils are all on the Utah side though.

DIY

WKR
Been all over. South Dakota Blacks hills was one of the best times Ive ever had. and cheap.