Looking for pan head suggestions

kpk

WKR
I've got the Velbon tripod - same as the Vortex Summit SS and use it for my Leica binos. I "might" purchase a spotting scope at some point but haven't found the need to do so yet. If I get one it will likely be a compact maven or athens.

I like the tripod but am not a fan of the head that's on it. I'd like to find something to replace it. I know I want a pan head and I really like the Outdoorsmans - but I don't wanna pay for the Outdoorsmans. This is a minimal use item for me - a week or less per year - so hard to justify the cost (or even half that) for how much I use it.

I've seen a few Monfrottos that I like and were very cheap on Ebay - only to realize they're the size of a cantaloupe.

So, what am I looking for?

The best low price fluid head is the Promaster SPCH20. It's very popular and very similar to the Benro except we give members here a lifetime no fault warranty. It's arca swiss as well. Normally $89.99, call us at 516-217-1000 and we will do it for $69.99 plus shipping

Here is the link to see it

We also have the new Benro S2 pro. Waiting for it to get on my website, Normally $99.95, would be $89.99+ shipping. Standard 1 year warranty
Thanks

Joel
516-217-1000

Reactions: kpk
The Sirui VA5 is the best fluid head you can get under $200.00, normally $164.90, members pay $140.17 right now+ shipping

Call us to get that price

Reactions: kpk
Benro S2 is my go to head for binos and up to 65mm spotting scope. For a larger spotting scope (80+) I use a manfrotto mvh500ah. The manfrotto is larger, but easily doubles as an attachment point for my rifle if needed.

I had a va-5 and ended up selling it and going back to a benro s2. I didnt like the spring loaded assist part of the va-5 because I had to lock it in order to keep it from springing open when I packed it. Also, as odd as it sounds, it was almost a little TOO smooth..there wasnt any resistance one I unlocked it, which I probably could've gotten used to but just didnt like how "loose" it was. If it didn't have the spring loaded action, I probably would've kept it.

The benro is great for the price, but I get a slight image shift when I lock the pan function, and when I use it in cold weather, I want to change the fluid out with some 0w-20..but maybe they are all that way?

On my VA-5 I can dial in the resistance, for both pan and tilt, by feathering the control knobs. I agree with the tilt springiness, but I don't have an issue with it. When I want a neat folded package for packing, I simply lock it down. For extended storage, I leave it unlocked.

I know you were referring to the Benro issues in cold weather, but I've used the VA-5 in temps to the low teens with no problems.

I just received a promaster xc-m 522/spch20 combo from Camera Land. Just messing around with it and my 85mm razor spotter, it seemed like a nice head, especially for the price.

Back