Looking for reviews of the 280 Ackley improved

Looking at buying a weatherby backcountry chambered in 280 Ackley improved. Any reviews pros and cons would be awesome. Gonna be a 5-600 yard gun. Muleys and elk. Thanks guys

EJMK

FNG
I’m a fan. I’ve been shooting a Nosler M48 Custom chambered in .280ai since 2013 and have killed elk, deer, antelope and a bear with 140gr accubonds. I tried putting together a few other rifles in different calibers, but keep going back to this rifle. I really like the rifle itself, but have been very impressed with the caliber/bullet combo.

OP
J
Awesome! Thanks a lot. That’s very good to hear. How far out are you comfortable shooting at an animal? I’m looking to reach out there to 600 but hopefully don’t have too. Been an archery hunter mostly so not big into the long range shooting

How far out are you comfortable shooting at an animal? I’m looking to reach out there to 600 but hopefully don’t have too.

I'm sure you're aware but this has way more to do with individual competency and ethics than it does with 280ai capabilities. Lots of people are "comfortable" shooting at animals at 600 yards with no basis for that comfort beyond:
  1. They shot a sub MOA group at 100 yards
  2. leupold sent them a CDS dial that has the number 600 printed on it (or they have a range card, or a ballistic app, etc)
  3. People on the internet or TV convinced em it's a chip shot. "Sub MOA at 100 is sub MOA at 600", "One Inch at 100 is six inches at 600, thats way smaller than vitals", "I know my drops"

OP
J
Ya I hear ya. I’m comfortable with my 300WM up to 400 yards. That thing has some serious knock down power. Seeing if it’s got some good knock down power and has the fast flat shooting ballistics so that a guy can feel comfortable. Hopefully this makes sense

Looking at buying a weatherby backcountry chambered in 280 Ackley improved. Any reviews pros and cons would be awesome. Gonna be a 5-600 yard gun. Muleys and elk. Thanks guys

Reviews on the rifle or cartridge? The cartridge has been the topic of articles for decades so grab a beer and fire up the Google and you can read for days. I haven’t seen much on the rifle but a few guys posted good reviews of it.

I wanted a 280ai after reading magazine articles on it 20 years ago. Finally got one last year and really like it.

280ack

FNG
I've been shooting and loading the 280 AI (non sammi spec) since the early 80's. I have used the cartridge either 140's, 150's and 160's (all nosler) on antelope, mulies and elk. The cartridge has performed well on all my needs, but I've never shot more than 400 yards. The rifle you list should be a great rifle and Weatherby knows what they are doing. You are looking at one of the best cartridge/rifle combinations you can find. my 2 cents

OP
J
I've been shooting and loading the 280 AI (non sammi spec) since the early 80's. I have used the cartridge either 140's, 150's and 160's (all nosler) on antelope, mulies and elk. The cartridge has performed well on all my needs, but I've never shot more than 400 yards. The rifle you list should be a great rifle and Weatherby knows what they are doing. You are looking at one of the best cartridge/rifle combinations you can find. my 2 cents

OP
J
Great news. Sounds like I’ll really enjoy this rifle. I appreciate all the feedback!!

"Fast, Flat shooting ballistics" isn't what is going to make it effective/ineffective at 600 yards.

A 7mm08 with a 162 ELDm is not "fast and flat" but even starting nearly 400 FPS slower than a 280ai shooting a barnes LRX, it is better suited for making good shots at 600 yards. Again, it isn't the cartridge that makes it "good to 600 yards"..

Last edited:

davsco

WKR
i was just looking at the 7 rem mag vs the AI. ballistics (at least out to 500yds) are pretty close and surely there is way more 7rm ammo out there (well at least in normal times) than AI. i guess if you reload it doesn't matter, but if you need a box last minute out in nowhere colorado, that might make a diff. so what makes the AI preferred over the RM?

BAKPAKR

WKR
I have a Remington 700 Ti which is about the same weight as is advertised for the Weatherby Backcountry chambered for a non-magnum round. If the Backcountry is close to its advertised weight, it would likely be pretty challenging for me to shoot it accurately from field positions much past 400 yards. The Ti version of the Backcountry would be really tough for me to shoot.

robtattoo

WKR
I think im the only person that was seriously underwhelmed by it. I built a .280 AI on a savage action, with a 26" Bison Gunworks barrel. I never saw anything close to published or 'claimed' velocities. It was a bitch to find a good load for, super picky on bullets & powder & quite frankly a complete let down. Best I saw was 2800 fps with 150 accubond LR. I couldn't get enough powder in the thing to come close to pressure signs.

eoperator

WKR
I think im the only person that was seriously underwhelmed by it. I built a .280 AI on a savage action, with a 26" Bison Gunworks barrel. I never saw anything close to published or 'claimed' velocities. It was a bitch to find a good load for, super picky on bullets & powder & quite frankly a complete let down. Best I saw was 2800 fps with 150 accubond LR. I couldn't get enough powder in the thing to come close to pressure signs.
Low velocity and running out of case capacity = you need faster powder