(Looking for some advise) Prairie Dog Optics

Jherek

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for a little advise/ recommendation. Looking for a budget scope for a 204 ruger. The main goal is for prairie dogs and some plinking. I've kinda narrowed it down to these two options.

Vortex 6.5-20x44 BDC new for $300. I've never been a fan of vortex,(had a Viper LR HS 4-16x44 before and wasn't very impressed with the clarity over 12 power) But for the price and this appreciation it might be a good choice.

Or Leupold VX3 LR 4-14x40 With a Wind-plex or varmint ridical. Can find them used for $350-$450 on here in the classifieds. I know the VX will have better glass and clarity. My gut really wants to go with a Leupold, my only concern/ reservation is 14 isn't enough magnification and I'll be regretting it. But maybe because it's a VX3 it will have great clarity at full power it would have the advantage over the Vortex.

Never Prairie dog hunted before, or looked at scopes in this price range in awhile, any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated!

Thank you all!

Also I won't be dialing, either hold over or a drop down.
I really like the 1"-30 tube, 40-44mm and capped turret for this application.

Last edited:

Scottf270

WKR
I use a discontinued Bushnell Nitro 5-20 sfp with moa reticle. I use the moa holdovers and windage with ease. One on here or 24hr campfire classifieds, can't remember which. Like $225 nib. Also check GunBroker.

OP
J

Jherek

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys!

Bluumoon, I'll take a look at it.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Take a look at the line up of Athlon Argos BTR's. Great scopes, priced right and full featured.
Features
  • First Focal Plane Reticle: First focal plane design allows you to fully utilize specially designed reticles that shrink or grow along with your target as you zoom in or out. These reticles offer quick target engagement at low power while offering precise holdover positions with finer details.
  • Illuminated Reticle: The illuminated reticle provides greater visibility during dusk and dawn and other low ambient light environment.
  • Etched Glass Reticle: Reticle etched on the glass that provides excellent backing support for complex reticle design and offers great durability and much higher shock resistance to recoil
  • Fully Multicoated: Fully Multicoated optics effectively reduces reflected light and increases the transmission of light giving you a brighter image than normal single coated lenses
  • Precision Zero Stop System: The system allows you to lock down your zero position and dial back to it with a sharp and precise stop right at your zero mark even you are turning it in pitch-dark or blinded folded.
  • 6061 T6 Aluminum: The 6061T6 aircraft grade aluminum tube that has exceptional strength and superior mechanical integrity will protect these world class optics no matter what punishment you throw at it.
  • Heat Treated One Piece Tube Construction: Heat treated one piece tube gives the scope extra strength over multi-piece tubes. A one piece tube also is better at keeping moisture out thus keeping your scope fog proof for the life of the product
  • Waterproof: Waterproof to protect the scope in the harshest weather conditions or if accidentally submerged underwater
  • Fog proof: Fog proof to allow you to immediately engage your target when you take your rifle to cold ambient temperature from warm inside
  • Shockproof: Robust mechanical system with special designs on both control and erector system that give you the ultimate recoil resistance to withstand 1000G recoil for 1000 times.
  • Argon Purged: Argon Purging uses the inertia gas with bigger size molecules to purge any moisture out of the tube giving you better waterproofing and thermal stability .

OP
J

Jherek

Lil-Rokslider
Take a look at the line up of Athlon Argos BTR's. Great scopes, priced right and full featured.
Features
  • First Focal Plane Reticle: First focal plane design allows you to fully utilize specially designed reticles that shrink or grow along with your target as you zoom in or out. These reticles offer quick target engagement at low power while offering precise holdover positions with finer details.
  • Illuminated Reticle: The illuminated reticle provides greater visibility during dusk and dawn and other low ambient light environment.
  • Etched Glass Reticle: Reticle etched on the glass that provides excellent backing support for complex reticle design and offers great durability and much higher shock resistance to recoil
  • Fully Multicoated: Fully Multicoated optics effectively reduces reflected light and increases the transmission of light giving you a brighter image than normal single coated lenses
  • Precision Zero Stop System: The system allows you to lock down your zero position and dial back to it with a sharp and precise stop right at your zero mark even you are turning it in pitch-dark or blinded folded.
  • 6061 T6 Aluminum: The 6061T6 aircraft grade aluminum tube that has exceptional strength and superior mechanical integrity will protect these world class optics no matter what punishment you throw at it.
  • Heat Treated One Piece Tube Construction: Heat treated one piece tube gives the scope extra strength over multi-piece tubes. A one piece tube also is better at keeping moisture out thus keeping your scope fog proof for the life of the product
  • Waterproof: Waterproof to protect the scope in the harshest weather conditions or if accidentally submerged underwater
  • Fog proof: Fog proof to allow you to immediately engage your target when you take your rifle to cold ambient temperature from warm inside
  • Shockproof: Robust mechanical system with special designs on both control and erector system that give you the ultimate recoil resistance to withstand 1000G recoil for 1000 times.
  • Argon Purged: Argon Purging uses the inertia gas with bigger size molecules to purge any moisture out of the tube giving you better waterproofing and thermal stability .
I will do that.
Thank you for all the info!

rayporter

WKR
our group of shooters has a big variety of scopes. one thing that will stand out at the end of the day is where the variables are set. a 6-18 will be at 18 and you will want more power. i have 2 Leupold 6.5-20 with custom reticles and never feel pinched, i do prefer a 24x and have 5 or them. guys with lots of magnification will almost always have it turned down to 20to 25x.

OP
J

Jherek

Lil-Rokslider
our group of shooters has a big variety of scopes. one thing that will stand out at the end of the day is where the variables are set. a 6-18 will be at 18 and you will want more power. i have 2 Leupold 6.5-20 with custom reticles and never feel pinched, i do prefer a 24x and have 5 or them. guys with lots of magnification will almost always have it turned down to 20to 25x.
That makes alot of sense.

Thank you!

I'd look for an old Burris Black Diamond 4-16 or 6-24x with their Ballistic Mill Dot reticle. The Fullfield 2 with that same reticle works good too but the glass isn't as nice. While I've moved on from "ballistic" reticles, that reticle was freaking awesome for shooting prairie dogs out to 500 yards.

I have shot a lot of prairie dogs and I find I settle in around 14x most of the time. The mirage often gets so bad that higher magnification becomes impossible to use and 14 provides plenty of power. I shot my best prairie dog to date at 1404 yards with my scope set on 14x. It got the job done.