Looking for some pack help/recommendations

Olydog09

Lil-Rokslider
I just purchased a Badlands Ox frame and pack from a guy on ArcheryTalk. I really like the whole set up of the Ox for how I hunt elk. My partner and I set up a base camp in the central part of our area and then we backpack in 2-5 miles for 2-3 days at a spell trying to get into elk. We have multiple routes that we follow and usually leave a vehicle at each end of the planned routes. In the past I used a pretty crappy Jansport frame and a few different bags lashed onto it. Well I ponied up for the Ox but after getting it and loading it with 50lbs to check it out I do not think it will work for me. I am short, 5'6" tall 155 lbs without much butt. The medium Ox I got rides too low below my hips. I adjusted the frame and sucked down the shoulder straps to try to get the pack to carry higher. I also took the belt off my Jansport and tried it. After these mods it was better it rode up higher but the center of gravity of the pack is still too low for me. The weight pinpoints down below my hips. I have thought about maybe trying to mod a shelf through one of the cut out holes in the sides of the side bars and have that shelf up above my hips so it will concenttrate the weight properly but I dont want to wreck the pack because ultimately I want to sell it and buy a proper fitting pack.

So if anybody has experience with this pack at my size and has found out how to adjust it so that it works properly I would like to know what I may be doing wrong. Or I would like recomendations for other packs. I want something that will haul meat seperately from my gear if at all possible. I am leaning towards an Eberlestock Blue Widow. I have tried one on and it felt like it rode great but it was unloaded. Unfortunately there are no strores in a close distance that carry one I can try with weight. Any pack recomendations for someone with my size would be appreciated. I think most Badlands and others like it are generally built to fit guys a little taller and maybe more robust than myself.

Thanks Olydog

I am that same build and I love my Kifaru dt2. I had a eberlestock j34 it feels awesome tell you get about 45+ pounds in it then it starts to hurt. sorry if this didn't help.

I am that same build and I love my Kifaru dt2. I had a eberlestock j34 it feels awesome tell you get about 45+ pounds in it then it starts to hurt. sorry if this didn't help.

Great stuff thanks. Not quite as helpful as the ass building suggestion but I appreciate it.

I have a much different build but I used this pack on a 2 week hunt this year in Colorado. I could not get rid of it soon enough once I got home. Not only did the fit issues suck with it the thing lives up to its name in weight.

The Badlands waistbelts never went small enough for me on my 2800, 2200, and Sacrifice once I got 60+ pounds in them to keep them on my 30 to 32" waist.

Oly im a big fan of my Eberlestock blue widow so far, itll be my first year with it out in the field this year so ill let you know how it does. check em out, also found that S&S archery has the best price and not to mention Steves killer service is top notch!!

Oly im a big fan of my Eberlestock blue widow so far, itll be my first year with it out in the field this year so ill let you know how it does. check em out, also found that S&S archery has the best price and not to mention Steves killer service is top notch!!

Have you loaded it down with 40-60lbs and carried it around yet? I have actually wanted a Blue Widow for some time. When Wholesports was in Spokane I tried one on and really liked it. I just wish that I had loaded it up to test it out at that time. Wholesale Sports is no longer in town and nobody else carries them.

I'm not surprised you don't like the fit. I kinda like the OX other than weight and price. When I tried on the frame only with meat shelf in a medium I thought it fit me perfect and I'm 6'1" and 210 with a 34" waist

I had the same issue with Badlands packs. If the waist belt won't tighten around your waist, it will never ride and fit properly. Eberlestocks will tighten around your waist and they come at a great price. The Blue Widow is an solid versatile pack. However, if your torso is longer than 19" then you may want to look at the battleship or destroyer from Eberlestock. The Eberlestock small waist belt fits my 28.5" waist great. Also, I feel the durability is slightly better with the eberlestocks over the badlands packs I've used.

I'm not surprised you don't like the fit. I kinda like the OX other than weight and price. When I tried on the frame only with meat shelf in a medium I thought it fit me perfect and I'm 6'1" and 210 with a 34" waist

Well I am willing to make you a deal on it if you are intertested.

Back