Looking to Retire?

primeme

FNG
Like to find a few acres to build a retirement home small barndominium.
looking at South and North Dakota, Montana, Wyoming and Iowa. Low taxes
cost of living etc...... Be Great also to have a Buddy who loves to bird hunt !!!
All my friends just like to big game only. PM if interested

jmez

WKR
If bird hunting is your primary objective cross WY off your list. Any of NE MT, ND, or SD would be good. One thing to keep in mind, SD, ND and likely MT in the future, limit your bird hunting on a non resident license. You can't just buy a NR license and then hunt the season.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk

KurtR

WKR
What kinds of birds are we talking. Just inside a state it would make a big difference where i would want to live.

OP
P

primeme

FNG
I m looking for a place that I can train my young dogs late summer, early fall. Also hunt big game, and fish.
# 1 bird hunt ....

OP
P

primeme

FNG
What kinds of birds are we talking. Just inside a state it would make a big difference where i would want to live.
I would like eastern S Dakota in the warmer months not a fan of praire Rattlers ........I can do trips to the other lacations when the temps drop

AndrewMT34

Lil-Rokslider
Most areas that you can do late summer training on prairie birds are going to have rattlesnakes. I echo other, MT or ND.

I lived in WY for 10 years, the bird numbers don't compare to the other states your considering.

WCB

WKR
Dakotas general just think west river = chance for snakes. East river along the river you can still find snakes. As far as in general I would rather live along the river or west river in each state if I was retired. There is honestly just a completely different feel once you get along the river corridor and west in each state. Eastern MT of course has snakes....If you like to hunt birds IMO Iowa would be out of the question....and it is Iowa. I know pockets in Eastern WY with good bird hunting but IMO MT is better bird hunting all around.

jmez

WKR
Central SD is way better for dog training than eastern. If thinking eastern look at Mitchell. Nice town, right in pheasant country, about an hour from the river and grasslands.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk

KurtR

WKR
We have not figured out what kind of dog or birds. East side is way better for retriever training. Lived in Sd my whole life and it would take alot of money to consider living in mitchell. Webster would be a place i would look close enough to stuff you need world class fishing world class waterfowl and pheasant hunting that is better than most of the country.

Reactions: WCB

Wyo_hntr

WKR
What type of bird hunting? Chukar? Northern NV. Mixed bag? Probably Idaho or Montana. Pheasants? Who cares lol (but probably SD). Quail? NM or AZ.

Wyo_hntr

WKR
Them why did you ask us?

I always wondered why you never hear anything about bird hunting in wyoming.
From my experience it's boom or bust. Some great years, some awful, most avg to just below.

I'd probably be in western ND. Pheasants are fun, but I think I've had enough at this point. Sharpies and Huns have been some of my favorites for years.

In addition to all the hunting in MT, Canada, ND and SD that you'll have easy access to when based in western ND, you'll be close to Fort Peck and Sakakawea - I love walleye fishing almost as much as I love upland bird hunting; thankfully the seasons don't fully coincide.

I'm based in WI. Grouse and woodcock hunting is decent here as is waterfowl hunting. Deer hunting can be very good if you care to pay for a lease. Walleye fishing is fantastic and the variety of fishing - up north secluded lakes to great lakes salmon and trout and a lot in-between - is pretty special. While I like it well enough where we're at, I don't know that I'd pick it above all else? Going to retire within 10 years, and we've been discussing our options.

OP
P

primeme

FNG
This post has been very helpful for me... Big Thanks.... I like the idea of summer fall in Western ND or Eastern MT and Winter go South. I too like to Walleye Fish. Great variety of things to do. Should keep me busy

CHWine

Lil-Rokslider
We drive thru quite a bit of SD when we're headed to deer hunt in the central part of the state. There's a whole lotta nothing out there! I could probably live there 6 months of the year. When we're there in November we sure see lots of pheasant and Huns.