Low back issues as you age

Simply hoping for some direction and guidance and maybe someone suffering similar.

I'm over 52. My lower back is shit. But it doesn't "hurt". I don't have pain. Don't have limbs tingle or numbness or fire in extremities.

I simply have no "power". The muscle seem to pump up soooo quickly and they're exhausted with one "rep". Running a chainsaw leaning forward kicks my ass. Front squats bar up front...kicks my ass. Any Xfit type workout...I'm done.

I took a buck yesterday. Just under two miles. All 4 quarters, neck meat, straps, lopped head. Rifle. Tripod. Snivel gear etc. 100lbs? Like it's a "benchmark"...like "I want to shoot at 1000 yards". 980 isn't the same. Doesn't matter if it was 80 or 110. It was heavy.

Hip flexors and ass cheeks more than anything. Then the steep decent sucked for knees. But holy shit was my lower back smoked.

So overall, I stay pretty fit. Work out several times per week. Have for 33+ years. Chest, shoulders, arms...SUPER strong. But my lower back really inhibits me from doing much worth a shit for legs.

Even doing air squats or just the bar. Back fails before legs.

Where do I start? Of course a medical professional. But in my opinion....backs are the most subjective and impossible to diagnose things. Horror stories of fusions, nerve burns etc.

Anyone else just seem to have complete atrophy of lower back muscles??

JFK

WKR
I’ve hurt my back a few times. I got into a decent PT and learned some stuff that helped. None of it is fun or traditional gym movements. It’s mostly “chick shit”. Glute bridges, core work, yoga stuff. I hate doing it, but it’s helped. If you aren’t in pain, it’s likely addressable with improving core strength and working on flexibility/mobility.

rclouse79

WKR
No expert here, but I would focus on core strength exercises and stretch your hamstrings a couple times a day. I prop each leg up on the sink and touch my toes for two cycles of my sonic care toothbrush. I used to have low back problems and they went away after I started doing the toothbrush stretch twice a day.

BBob

WKR
Seriously though: My low back discomfort is mostly tight glutes. More specifically my issue is generally the glute med. I sit on a massage ball daily and use a foam roller to keep things in check. Typical hip stretches help as well.

LaHunter

WKR
Getting in touch with a good PT for starters is good advice. Assuming you don’t have any structure issues, a strength program for your back & lower body should be part of the plan.
And 80+ lb packs should probably be avoided. Getting old ain’t for sissys.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hang baby hang.
An inversion table will be your best friend.

I have found no cure, however all good ideas above. You just kinda have to find what works for you. I've done it all minus surgery. PT, pain therapy, prolo, etc.
As much as we/I hate to admit it, "the Golden years ain't gold."
I just turned 66 last week and still backpack and solo hunt. Man, it's just alot slower and you HAVE to limit what you can and cannot do.
Keep on truckin.

Randy

Last edited:

S.Clancy

WKR
I'm 37, so take this with whatever grain of salt you like. Any low back pain I have ever had was a direct result of weakness in my hips/glutes/hamstrings. Keeping those very strong, I'm talking 1.5 BW Squat, is the key to a healthy low back, IMO. The key is to get strong and minimize the risk of injury. I never do regular deadlifts anymore, but I do a lot of Romanian Deadlifts. I would really concentrate on different versions of squats, lunges, Romanian deadlifts. Start low and progress up in weight.

Also, if you have a belly, losing that will help low back pain, it's simple physics. You having a big lever arm with weight out the front of your belt puts stress on and fatigues your low back.

Ditt44

Lil-Rokslider
Same and then some. I am about to be 55 in two days and have Fibromyalgia from head to hips. Two best things for mine, treadmill/walking and yoga. Stretch every morning and if necessary, every evening. Plenty of easy to follow You-tube videos out there. Treadmill time works to loosen up your hips and lower back and build that flexibility and strength through yoga. I am blessed with restless leg issues at times as well and stretching, sometimes in the middle of the night, just last night in fact at 2:30 AM, is necessary. Core strength will always help and if you can build up sit-ups, do it.

cnelk

WKR
I recently bought one of these. I use it at least every other day.

My buddy brought his out to elk camp every year and it sure helps.

Im not saying it’s a ‘cure-all’ but I haven’t been to the chiropractor since I bought it.

IMG_1494.jpegIMG_1493.jpeg

Here’s a YouTube video to explain it

Also, if you have a belly, losing that will help low back pain, it's simple physics. You having a big lever arm with weight out the front of your belt puts stress on and fatigues your low back.
This right here... There is a published formula for inches of waistline and amount of pressure exerted on lower back. I'm 48 and have osteoarthritis from sacrum through lumbar spine, and it's 100% manageable if I keep my waistline in check. I'm 6'1 and 220-225 and my waist is 36-37. If I get any heavier and the beer gut expands, I have aching lower back soreness and pain every day until I drop the excess baggage.

I train 2x per week (Olympic lifts) and walk the alternating days on gravel and paved trails, shooting for 3-4 miles per session. For core work, planks are your friend, and shoot for at least one minute with good form. Once you work up to a minute, try 3 x 1 min. every day and once you can do this comfortably, start throwing in some side planks. Form is crucial here, so don't try to be a hero.

Good luck!

I recently bought one of these. I use it at least every other day.

My buddy brought his out to elk camp every year and it sure helps.

Im not saying it’s a ‘cure-all’ but I haven’t been to the chiropractor since I bought it.

View attachment 620309View attachment 620310

Here’s a YouTube video to explain it

Hadn't seen this one and looks interesting. We have a foam roller and set of chirp wheels at home for alignment. I'm going to try static hanging as well as it supposed to be good for alignment

OP
J
We have an inversion table at work. I DESTROYED me. From some of the comments above:

My hamstrings are always tight. And under developed. When I squat (again....this would be 135 max generally or simply the bar/body weight) My low back pumps first and is useless. My hamstrings quit second and hurt the worst.

I definitely have leg strength issues.

I "Injured" my lower back years ago with bent over straight bar back rows. Just pulled a muscle. That same muscle pulled on the opposite side. I assumed a "pulled muscle" over time just relaxes. It's been strained whatever ever since.

The inversion table almost crippled me. Any attempt to stretch lower back just really pisses it off. And it seems to be a very difficult place to stretch properly????

RE: PT...how does one start? Referral via Primary Care?

We have an inversion table at work. I DESTROYED me. From some of the comments above:

My hamstrings are always tight. And under developed. When I squat (again....this would be 135 max generally or simply the bar/body weight) My low back pumps first and is useless. My hamstrings quit second and hurt the worst.

I definitely have leg strength issues.

I "Injured" my lower back years ago with bent over straight bar back rows. Just pulled a muscle. That same muscle pulled on the opposite side. I assumed a "pulled muscle" over time just relaxes. It's been strained whatever ever since.

The inversion table almost crippled me. Any attempt to stretch lower back just really pisses it off. And it seems to be a very difficult place to stretch properly????

RE: PT...how does one start? Referral via Primary Care?
Quick question on your squats... Are you able to go below parallel? If not, that's one of the first things to work on... There are few, if any, world class lifters that only squat to parallel. The key reasons being, you get very limited transfer through the hips to activate the hamstrings and most importantly the glutes. Second, only squatting to or above parallel only engages the quads. Third, only squatting to or above parallel can exacerbate or cause knee issues as all of the strain is focus on the knee joint. High schools and idiots all over the country coach kids to squat incorrectly every day...

Always, always, squat as deep as you can, and the goal should be well below parallel. That goes for front and back squats. Check out your stance and make sure your feet are a little wider than shoulder-width with knees and toes pointing out slightly. It will take some trial and error to find the sweet spot. This will encourage you to get deeper with less discomfort and also do a better job engaging your hamstrings and glutes. Too narrow a starting position will encourage shallow squats and focus too much of the weight on your quads. Start light (bar) and work up once you are able to get below parallel. If the bar is too heavy use a piece of PVC pipe or a broom stick.

Something lots of folks forget is lifting with appropriate shoes. Get a good pair of olympic lifting shoes, and your lifts will be far more efficient and effective. If you can afford it, try to find a pair of new or used Nike Romeleos 2. These are the best lifting shoes made, and even used ones are usually in excellent condition. If you can't find any Nike 2s in your size, skip the Nike 3s and look at a pair of Nike 4s. My daughters are both accomplished Olympic lifters, and have tried a few different brands of shoes. However, the Nikes are the best. If you can't afford or can't find your size in a Nike 2 or Nike 4, the next best is probably Adidas. Just make sure they're not crossfit or crosstraining shoes. They should be olympic lifting shoes with tall heels for stability in the bottom of your squats and deadlifts.

You don't need a referral to go to a chiro/PT in my experience. Just go in and tell them what you're struggling with and they'll do an evaluation/submit claims to your health insurance.

OP
J
Went to a Chiro for 5 appointments. Severe tendonitis on forearm. I shoot a ton of competitive archery. New bow and the vibe ate up my forearm nerves, tendons etc. He rubbed a modified butter knife on my arm for 2 minutes. Charged me a $40 co pay. Did nothing.

Not terribly interested in a Chiro. Snake oil.

But PT I do think is the route. As I said...no real "Pain". It's all or mostly muscle and muscle damage/atrophy or something muscle related.

RE: deep squats. I thought Knees over Toes is snake oil too. But what do I know. I've run from the squat rack and legs my whole life. Probably why I have back issues.

Think I can literally military press more than I can squat. Or close to it. I can completely destroy my chest and shoulders in a work out and be only moderately sore the next day. Could repeat the same workout 48 hours later with no pain.

Legs.......5 sets of 20 body weight squats and I can't walk for a week due to leg muscle pain. It simply never goes away. Each week is as painful and brutal as the next....hence why I don't train legs. It's completely debilitating and does not fade or improve over the weeks. TheraGun is a Torture Device. It's simply ZERO fun. I can run or walk on the treadmill, TheraGun or whatever. The lactic acid never leaves and my legs are extremely painful for 7 days. Does not leave me wanting to do it all over again once I can finally walk normally.

Marble

WKR
I think before I did anything, I would want some images taken to see if there is something actually wrong. The cures of today for back issues are much better than on the past. Get it diagnosed first, then work for a solution.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

WCB

WKR
Have images taken and see PT. I am 38 and about 3 years ago I finally went to a chiro (not looking to start a debate here) in reality they are more of a overall wellness center. They took xrays My neck and lower back had pretty decent bone decay for some 35 years old. I guess multiple sports, packing stuff out on my back, and packing on horses took its toll. I was super tight and I tried stretching but just couldn't do it enough to help. I couldn't even bend over to get a deer with out loosing my breath and taking 10minutes to straighten back up. Took me 1/2 way across the room to get standing straight. No pain in general but any work that involved lower back isolation was torture.

Series of chiro appointments...exercises and a lot of stretching directed by my chiro has all but fixed it. Like you I felt like my lower back was "weak" but it was more structural. Made sense I also would get tight hips and had bad IT Band issues. Most likely cause by piss poor back and neck structural issues.

I agree Chiro alone is more than likely not the answer...but if you can find one that does PT type services also and doesn't just crack, crack and done I think you will get to feeling better.