Lowa Leather Lined Boots

xcutter

WKR
What do you think of the leather lined boots by Lowa? I have a pair of the trekkers and love the fit and comfort. I haven't tested them in wet situations yet though. I put Kenetrek boot wax on them to seal them up.

Are they waterproof? Do they hold up to wearing them a lot? What's your opinion on the leather lined boots?

Thanks in advance for everyone's comments.

Hardstalk

WKR
I rocked a pair of Lowa baffins for a few seasons. They started waterproof.. But the rands and soles are DEAD now. It's my own fault for not taking proper care. Just used and abused. I love the leather liner. Its tough as nails. The only issue (if you wanna call it an issue?) is the stretch. I find myself relacing 1-2x as they warm up during hikes. The leather stretches. I've never had a bad stink out of the leather. And they seem to keep my feet pretty dry thru out the the day. I've recently purchased a new pair of albula that are also leather lined. So far there comfy. But squeaky. Hoping they will quiet down a bit soon. Im a leather lined believer.

davey5280

FNG
I love mine I've had them for over a year and a half and with proper care you can keep them waterproof I never have a problem with my feet getting clammy like when I wear gortex I won't hesitate to buy leather lined again

OP
X

xcutter

WKR
Thanks for the comments guys.

Hardstalk what do mean the rands and soles are dead?

davey5280 what is proper care? Only thing I've read is treating the leather with wax.

davey5280

FNG
Yeah keeping the leather waxed and spraying them with Dwr at times I only noticed mine getting little wet after a year or so because I stopped caring for them but there way better than the gortex lined they offer your feet will thank you I will only buy Leather lined because the breathing is so great I can't stand gortex and if you are concerned about water proof I would lean towards something that is lined with eVent

I've been wearing them for about 11 years now. They are certainly cooler than lined boots. They are pretty well water resistant, I certainly wouldn't consider them waterproof. I've used either Sno Seal or Obenauf's on mine. I think the Sno Seal waterproofs a little better.

Make sure you have gaiters if it is really wet. The worst thing with these boots is if you do get them soaked on the inside, the leather liner swells and can make some hot spots/blisters if you aren't careful. Also takes a while to get them dried back out.

Hardstalk

WKR
I'm wearing them as work boots while I wait for my new work boots in the mail. I mean dead. Glue gone, rands cracked (assume from being dry) I had these stretched just a touch width wise wise from a boot place. I think that shortened the life span a bit. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446164452.508412.jpg

topher89

WKR
I wore Lowa Trekkers last season and plan to wear them again this year. I love them for cool to cold weather. I treat them at the beginning of each season with Lowa's spray and leather treatment products.

Absolutely no problems in wet conditions. I took a wrong step into a creek pheasant hunting and pulled my foot out quickly and no problems. Trudged around in knee deep snow during 4th season last year and my feet stayed warm and dry.

I really like them for antelope hunting, them seem to hold up better than paneled and stitcked GTX boots in all the cactus and rough terrain

russ_outdoors

Lil-Rokslider
Big fan of the LL Lowas as well and have a pair of the Tibets and Caminos.

I personally wouldn't call them waterproof, but with with regular care they can come close.

The only downside I've noticed is the leather lining takes longer to dry than fabric. Other than that, I much prefer them to Goretex.

aggieland

WKR
Love my Lowa Tibets LL.. Water proof enough for wet grass and stream crossings with gaiters. But for days on end wet like we had on our Alaskan hunt, they will leak. But so did all our Goretex..

russ_outdoors

Lil-Rokslider
Quick update on my LL boot experience. I've been wearing the Lowa LL boots for the last few years with great results. My hunting is at altitude in Utah so they really don't see extended water exposure very often. Passing rain storms, creek crossings, occasional snow have been no issue. I really like them in the warmer months since they seem to breath much better than Goretex boots.

However, yesterday I hiked in wet snow for 8 hours. After about 3 hours the water started to work its way in. by the time I made back to the truck the boots were completely soaked. My guess is it will take a solid 2 days inside the house to dry them completely out. I use Nikwax to waterproof the leather on a regular basis. As much as I dislike Goretex, there are times when it becomes a necessary evil. Had I been on a multi-day hunt I would have been in serious trouble.

OP
X

xcutter

WKR
Thanks for the update.

How often does everyone reapply boot wax? I'm using the Kenetrek boot wax which seems to be a good product.