Luna 2 verses the Pyra

hntnnut

Lil-Rokslider
Which would you choose and why. What are the pros and cons of each? The Pyra runs 23 oz. and the Luna 2 runs 21 oz.. The Pyra appears to have more floor space but is shorter in height overall but better I the wind I assume. The Luna is less floor space but taller walls that would equate to more useable space but I think more susceptible to the wind?

Richard

bergnp

FNG
I have no experience with either. From what I've read and from asking around, I went with mountain laurel designs pyramid tents. Last week, I ordered a supermid and duomid. You might wanna check those out too. Just food for thought.

Rucker61

WKR
Which would you choose and why. What are the pros and cons of each? The Pyra runs 23 oz. and the Luna 2 runs 21 oz.. The Pyra appears to have more floor space but is shorter in height overall but better I the wind I assume. The Luna is less floor space but taller walls that would equate to more useable space but I think more susceptible to the wind?

Richard

Hard to say. I've found that I really prefer more floor space and headroom, so I went with the Luna 5. I use it even for solo trips, and the weight penalty is worth it.

whitingja

WKR
I'm looking for a lightweight option as well. Why do you guys choose the Luna or Duomid over something like a free standing lightweight tent? I was looking at the Tarptent Rainbow, which is right at 2 lbs, and seems very stable and doesn't need trekking poles. Is the Duomid or solomid stronger? A little more room I imagine. Also, by the time you add the trekking poles and bivy into the equation, it weighs more. Thanks.

OP
hntnnut

hntnnut

Lil-Rokslider
For me I'm looking to cut a lot of weight from my current tent which is a Sierra Designs Lightning at about 4 pounds. I already use trekking poles religiously so a tent that uses them would be a plus I believe. Also I don't plan using a bivy just a ground cloth I think I could keep it south of 30 ounces including stakes, and under 1.5 pounds if I were to go with Cuban. I've looked at the other tents mentioned and cant see where the extra cash would really be getting me much more.

Richard

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Like shaving weight off rifles....its likely $$$ ahead to spend $$$ elsewhere before buying cuben for shaving weight off rifles (if you already have a lightweight rifle)