M95 Mauser .257 Roberts . +P ammo.

Classyusa

FNG
Hello,

I am curious as to where the experts on this forum stand on shooting +P .257 Roberts ammo out of a Mauser M95 action .

I have shot this (and harvested animals) quite a few times, with +P, before being told that this is a potentially dangerous combination.

If what I was told is correct...

*the +P ammo has ~4000psi pressure bump over the old .257 Bob rounds.

* The M95 action is inherently weak and could come back at the shooter with the added +P pressures.

I have conversely heard dissenting opinions that the M95 action can safely withstand the additional pressure and that it is internet folklore that it can not.

None of this is my opinion. I am only repeating information that I have gathered.

I have read a handful of articles and opinions on this but I would like to hear from experts familiar with this action.

I don't need the "casual expert" opinion that " you were stupid for using the +P in that action and lucky you didn't get hurt ."

I realize both of those points from gathering my own information. That is why I am here asking for expert opinions.

Ammo is hard to find. .257 Bob ammo is really hard to find. .257+P is slightly less hard to find.

Any constructive input is appreciated.

I'm no expert, but if it was my skin, I would retire that old banger; remember that's over 50000 PSI next to your face!

Bar rimfire ammo I haven't fired off any factory ammo for 20 years. If you roll your own, you can load your ammo how you like and adds a whole new dimension to the hobby.

Back