MAGIC PIN USED ANYMORE?

Seeknelk

WKR
So i found the "magic pin' article and a few old threads on it. Any of you salty old vet use it all the time still? I have a SH triple stack I'll be setting up and playing with it. Especially for timber elk calling.

Why use a trick pin with a 3 pin sight?

The idea is to maximize your range with a single aiming point, without adjustment. With the Triple Stack you get 3 aiming points. I'd definitely set it further, like 30-35 yards top pin and know to hold a little low inside, but that will give you pins to use to something like 60-75 yards depending on how you split them.

LostArra

WKR
It works well for me elk hunting. Single pin, slow bow and I don't shoot at game over 40 yards.
I can suffer from multiple pin confusion/panic when things happen fast like typical elk hunting.

When hunting a treestand for deer I use a two pin sight but the shot windows are pre-ranged.

Yup- I'm a single pin user. I have tried the multi stack pins on a single post but after several TAC events with both I definitely shoot better with a one up pin and a single fiber.

OP
S

Seeknelk

WKR
Why use a trick pin with a 3 pin sight?

The idea is to maximize your range with a single aiming point, without adjustment. With the Triple Stack you get 3 aiming points. I'd definitely set it further, like 30-35 yards top pin and know to hold a little low inside, but that will give you pins to use to something like 60-75 yards depending on how you split them.
Well , the author and many others use a 7 pin slider with it I believe. So I see good and bad with it even with multi pins.
I'll give it a try and see WTF. I may try setting my 3 pins for 20-30-40 or 30-40-50. Then find my trick pin setting for the top pin and walk around with it set there. We will see. I can see potentially forgetting it's at that setting but if it's the default setting maybe it's golden.

OP
S

Seeknelk

WKR
Yup- I'm a single pin user. I have tried the multi stack pins on a single post but after several TAC events with both I definitely shoot better with a one up pin and a single fiber.
Nice thing with a triple stack is that it can easily just be a single pin if that's all I like.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I never understood the appeal of aiming 12” off target on purpose. There’s better ways to do mpbr that allows you to always hold on your animal.

Well , the author and many others use a 7 pin slider with it I believe. So I see good and bad with it even with multi pins.
I'll give it a try and see WTF. I may try setting my 3 pins for 20-30-40 or 30-40-50. Then find my trick pin setting for the top pin and walk around with it set there. We will see. I can see potentially forgetting it's at that setting but if it's the default setting maybe it's golden.

The idea behind a trick pin is to use a single pin sight and set it on a yardage that works for you, like say 47, to maximize what you can do with a single pin.

Trying to use it with a multi-pin housing is completely against any reasoning for having a multiple pin housing. You have multiple pins so you can have multiple holds.

With something like the triple stack, you can set your pins at 25, 35, and 45. Then you can practice for a trick pin if you want, it's going to push your top pin to something like 45 yards, and then you need to hold way low for under 30, and your second and third pins will be markers for about 53-55 and probably 61-63 yards. So you really don't need the advantage if using the trick pin for the further yards, because you have pins for those yards.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
The idea behind a trick pin is to use a single pin sight and set it on a yardage that works for you, like say 47, to maximize what you can do with a single pin.

Trying to use it with a multi-pin housing is completely against any reasoning for having a multiple pin housing. You have multiple pins so you can have multiple holds.

With something like the triple stack, you can set your pins at 25, 35, and 45. Then you can practice for a trick pin if you want, it's going to push your top pin to something like 45 yards, and then you need to hold way low for under 30, and your second and third pins will be markers for about 53-55 and probably 61-63 yards. So you really don't need the advantage if using the trick pin for the further yards, because you have pins for those yards.
I use it on a 3 pin slider sight. My reason is when I can't get an exact range on my target, so the trick pin provides largest margin of error should I've guessed the distance wrong. If I can range it dial it in. Why multiple pins? Really helps with a visual of arrow fight for shooting over or under limbs or terrain features. I also like the option to pin gap if they move after I've ranged them.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

OP
S

Seeknelk

WKR

I think the real advantage is not needing to know the yardage besides knowing that it's not beyond your trick pin distance. Say you set up on a bench where you can't possibly have a shot beyond trick pin distance of 47 yards ...you then know that if a bull shows up anywhere and gives you a shot....you simply hold at the bottom hairline and kill it , at any yardage inside that 47 or whatever your trick pin gets you to.
Regardless of having lots of pins.

LostArra

WKR
I never understood the appeal of aiming 12” off target on purpose. There’s better ways to do mpbr that allows you to always hold on your animal.
I agree when it comes to deer size game but I only use it for elk and for my setup the hold was right at the lower border of the chest. The average chest height for elk is about 33-34" so you aren't holding on "air". Plus I like the single pin positioned right up the back edge of the front leg.

It's probably not for everyone. With my bow setup and only elk it works well and gives me some confidence but it's not perfect. Last year I made beautiful 40 yard shot on a 50 yard bull and the arrow sailed right under his chest. I had no time to range and it happened fast. I would have bet $$$ he was at 40 yards.

I use it on a 3 pin slider sight. My reason is when I can't get an exact range on my target, so the trick pin provides largest margin of error should I've guessed the distance wrong. If I can range it dial it in. Why multiple pins? Really helps with a visual of arrow fight for shooting over or under limbs or terrain features. I also like the option to pin gap if they move after I've ranged them.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I get that, it's why I have always shot pins on a hunting bow. On a 3 pin housing it gives you a high/low, but if you are using the top or bottom as a stop pin, like no higher, or no lower, frequently you should just use that pin.

I think for the majority of people, the changing pin gap will lead to more error than just having pins set. I have shot a lot of fixed pin competition, and frequently set pins on odd yards just to better cover, I always wrote down what those pins were, cause you forget. Have shot a fair amount of field and hunter rounds (20 foot to 80 yards) with a fixed 3 pin.

I also think the idea of not needing to know the yards is a mistake. I'm big on setting a pin for the best coverage, but when you are trying to shoot past 50 yards without knowing the yards, you are asking for trouble. Very few people are good at yardage estimation past 50 yards, and trying to use chest size for a gap to convert to yards is very difficult too. Not that you can't be good at it, just that body sizes change a lot, even during the year. Early season versus late, then lighting changes the perceived size too. Not to mention different areas will have different sized animals.

I believe anyone Elk hunting should be able to take a shot inside of 50, without knowing the distance, if you are using your pins to generate that, great. But you are probably doing it once you are at full draw, and not likely to not fire even when you realize it's further than you think.

My point goes back to, if you are going to shoot a multiple pin housing, you can do most all these things just in how you set your pins, and frequently have better holds. The trick pin is to understand how to set a single pin for walking so you can cover the most ground. If you want to use a pin that you are going to put 12" below what you want to hit, while you have a pin that's on the target, go ahead. I know I shoot better when I can focus on what I want to hit, that's why gap shooting my recurve I shoot best at my point on distance. If I'm going to walk around the woods with a single pin sight, I'm going to have it set in a method close to how the trick pin is laid out, but I choose to use a multi pin so I can have different points to hold on a lot closer to where I want to hit.

Everyone should practice/try different things. See if they can find a way to be more effective. I know when I have multiple pins, I will always shoot better with the one that's closest to where I want to hit.

I think the real advantage is not needing to know the yardage besides knowing that it's not beyond your trick pin distance. Say you set up on a bench where you can't possibly have a shot beyond trick pin distance of 47 yards ...you then know that if a bull shows up anywhere and gives you a shot....you simply hold at the bottom hairline and kill it , at any yardage inside that 47 or whatever your trick pin gets you to.
Regardless of having lots of pins.

If your max shot is 47 yards, and you have a bull come in halfway between you and max, do you really want to concentrate below his body while shooting? If I have a single pin, yeah, that's what I'm doing, but if I have a different pin above that trick pin, you can be damn certain I'm concentrating on the spot I want to hit, putting that other marker on it, and pulling.

I have learned that it takes two things for me to be accurate. Keep my focus exacwhere I want to hit, and pull through the shot. When I do that, I don't miss. My problem is actually doing that 30, 40, 56, or 60 times. Sometimes I keep my ADD at bay tho.

IdahoHntr

WKR
Two advantages to trick pin (no matter how many pins you have) as explained by Darin Cooper is that you dont have to hold off the animal and you only need to know that the animal is not past your max range. It takes guessing ranges and gapping pins out of the equation. If you set the trick pin up correctly you just hold dead center vitals every time and kill them.

This way of setting a sight up is a must, IMO, if you are running a single pin in the elk woods. I’m not a single pin guy, but by understanding how it works and messing with it in the off-season with my 3-pin it has helped me understand my arrow arc better and understand at what ranges my range error starts to be more critical. It’s a super simple system that works, but people try to make it more complicated than it is. If you think setting your pin at a distance and then holding high or low depending on where the animal shows up is the trick pin then you need to read about it again. That’s just single pin gap shooting and not near as effective IMO.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I agree when it comes to deer size game but I only use it for elk and for my setup the hold was right at the lower border of the chest. The average chest height for elk is about 33-34" so you aren't holding on "air". Plus I like the single pin positioned right up the back edge of the front leg.

It's probably not for everyone. With my bow setup and only elk it works well and gives me some confidence but it's not perfect. Last year I made beautiful 40 yard shot on a 50 yard bull and the arrow sailed right under his chest. I had no time to range and it happened fast. I would have bet $$$ he was at 40 yards.

I shoot a single pin sight, as well. I’ve played with my arrow weight and speed enough to be able to shoot to 40 yard(with my pin set on 30) and still hold on my deer size targets. Anything over 40 yards and I’m gonna range. That sets up really well for my hunting situations. When I get ready for my next elk hunt, those yardages will be increased.

OP
S

Seeknelk

WKR
Two advantages to trick pin (no matter how many pins you have) as explained by Darin Cooper is that you dont have to hold off the animal and you only need to know that the animal is not past your max range. It takes guessing ranges and gapping pins out of the equation. If you set the trick pin up correctly you just hold dead center vitals every time and kill them.

This way of setting a sight up is a must, IMO, if you are running a single pin in the elk woods. I’m not a single pin guy, but by understanding how it works and messing with it in the off-season with my 3-pin it has helped me understand my arrow arc better and understand at what ranges my range error starts to be more critical. It’s a super simple system that works, but people try to make it more complicated than it is. If you think setting your pin at a distance and then holding high or low depending on where the animal shows up is the trick pin then you need to read about it again. That’s just single pin gap shooting and not near as effective IMO.
I think you have it wrong. Check the article. You MUST hold off the animal. One foot low. It takes advantage of the intersection of line of sight and trajectory. Heck I can't explain it. He already
does.
Happily , one foot low is bottom of elks chest.