Making your own food

Last week I started vacuum sealing and freezing single serving sized meals. Even with discounts I am over spending $8-13 a meal. Plus good food doesn't hurt my stomach. I am going to run a single burner and a pot of water. My first two meals have been pasta with meat sauce and shepards pie. Booth seem delicious so far. Anyone else doing this?

Last edited:
I haven't done a backpack hunt for a few years, but I tend to eat maybe 20% freeze dried out of car camps. The other 80% are meals I prep at home and then reheat before eating. If I had a backpack hunt on the horizon I would cook and then dehydrate things like spaghetti, chilli, chicken wild rice soup, etc. I've put together phad thai meals for pretty cheap, too. There are lots of resources for dehydrating. For car camping I might smoke a pork butt or crock pot some carnitas and eat off that for a few days. Tamales, too.

Yep, for backpacking type hunt’s definitely cook your favorite dishes at home and dehydrate them. Takes a little bit longer to rehydrate but they are so much better for you and your gut. For truck camping I pre make everything and either freeze it in ziplock bags or cheap Tupperware containers. I can just throw the bag in a pot of boiling water for about 10 minutes and eat right out of the bag or a plate if I want to. For the Tupperware containers just dump it into a pot and reheat.

For backpacking you can rehydrate in the bag or in a small pot. I like the pot with a lid because the food simmers in the water and rehydrates better. Let it sit with the lid on for a little bit and steam. This also helps in rehydrating the meal. Your foods are endless doing it this way. You can even save leftovers from your favorite restaurants and dehydrate those as well.

OP
Shackdaddy
Yep, for backpacking type hunt’s definitely cook your favorite dishes at home and dehydrate them. Takes a little bit longer to rehydrate but they are so much better for you and your gut. For truck camping I pre make everything and either freeze it in ziplock bags or cheap Tupperware containers. I can just throw the bag in a pot of boiling water for about 10 minutes and eat right out of the bag or a plate if I want to. For the Tupperware containers just dump it into a pot and reheat.

For backpacking you can rehydrate in the bag or in a small pot. I like the pot with a lid because the food simmers in the water and rehydrates better. Let it sit with the lid on for a little bit and steam. This also helps in rehydrating the meal. Your foods are endless doing it this way. You can even save leftovers from your favorite restaurants and dehydrate those as well.
I am not dehydrating these meals. I am just taking leftovers and vacuum sealing them and freezing. These meals have been turning out perfect so far. Boil and serve and I have no complaints so far.

TreeDux

FNG
I am not dehydrating these meals. I am just taking leftovers and vacuum sealing them and freezing. These meals have been turning out perfect so far. Boil and serve and I have no complaints so far.
I like the concept but I am a bit curious. If you’re backpacking for multiple nights with those food items how are you keeping them cold and preventing spoilage?

That’s what I do as well for truck camping. Either vacuum seal or just use a quart ziplock bag and freeze. Throw the bag in a pot of water and boil. My favorite I did this past archery season was some kind of shrimp and pasta dish my wife makes. I also do spaghetti and I never see any “mushy” noodles like others that do this have experienced. Also do shepherd’s pie, stews, chili, brisket, shredded pork, breakfast burritos, etc. it works really well.

OP
Shackdaddy
I like the concept but I am a bit curious. If you’re backpacking for multiple nights with those food items how are you keeping them cold and preventing spoilage?
This is for truck/base camp. I am still using Peak Refuel for my backpack hunts.

Nbowlin

Lil-Rokslider
If you have, or no someone, with a freeze dryer. I have been just making extra what ever we were makinge for dinner and running it through the freeze dryer. Was really nice to eat good food this year.