Mandatory Harvest Reporting

we have had mandatory reporting for as long as I have lived in this state, which is over 25 years. No shakedowns I've ever heard of, just check it in at any "big game check station", which includes most hunting and fishing stores and lots of small-town gas stations and convenience stores, in addition to town clerks, police, etc. They got an online reporting system going fast when the covid shut-downs happened so people could still hunt, now we can check in online except for rifle deer season, and I'm hopeful that even that will change soon. Even the biologists uniformly tell you they are all for online check-in, that the data they get from the physical check stations isnt useable unless there is a department person there to calibrate scale, etc, and in 99% of cases there isnt. Frankly, to me mandatory check-in is a non-issue that makes it real data-collection, that I think gives hunters a much better leg to stand on agsint anti-hunting efforts, as well as doing a legit better job in actually managing the game in a sustainable way. I've hunted a solid handful of states, I dont believe I have ever hunted anywhere that reporting isnt mandatory. I'm not clear what compliance rates are, but I am not personally aware of anyone that I know hasn't checked in a big game animal as required. If non-reporting is a major factor I'd be all for not being able to buy next-years hunting license if someone fails to report within a certain reasonable time (30 days, etc...normally we have 48 hours), even within the interstate wildlife compact.
Which state do you live in?

satchamo

WKR
As a midwesterner it blows my mind that most western states have no check in. I deer and turkey hunt all over the Midwest and every single state has mandatory check in (online). Idk how the hell you would ever manage harvest without…..

In a DUI check point, you have the right to not participate as there is no probable cause. the difference here, as the courts have already decided that looking like you are hunting or fishing, going to or from hunting or fishing meets probable cause, as animals can not communicate with humans, thus there is no complainant, thus not a violation of the 4th Amendment; that is why fish and game laws are Prima Facie laws, unlike like the laws that apply to a DUI check point. you do not have to like it, but it clearly is not a violation of the 4th.

Disagree.

Bogner24

FNG
It works well for big game in Oklahoma. There have been issues where people have even entered big game kills but didn't purchase tag. It flags it in the system and makes an easy case for the warden. Most instances are simply an issue with the license system not processing their initial purchase.

I know IL has mandatory reporting for all public lands which is a pain to report for small game.