Mapping apps data security

OP
C

CJohnson

WKR
I'm not really afraid of it, but it would be interesting if all of their data was compromised and someone made a heat map of where people recorded tracks. Most of my waypoints are either labeled day/time or good poop spot.

ORJoe

Lil-Rokslider
Can't hack my GPS if my GPS is in my head
MV5BNWE3MGYwMjItMWIyZS00NjFlLWIxNmEtYmRiZjBmNDE1YTFlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjU0Mjc3ODg@._V1_.jpg

Mt Al

WKR
(strapping on my tinfoil hat tighter than usual)

zero data that's on the interwebs is 'safe' unless the company is deep into NIST800-171 and even then...I just don't see all our waypints as being particularly valuable.

I don't have OnX yet but will soon, and like 5 Miles Back above my waypoints are in my handheld GPS that only receives and doesn't send. This is just due to paranoia and trust issues.

gabenzeke

WKR
I keep waiting to hear someone like randy newburgs account was hacked. It's just a matter of time.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

So the hackers steal all of OnX/basemap/Gaia etc’s data, now they have all of our waypoints. I’m not to worried about it, they are going to have to sift through a lot of pins. And a pin that says big buck or big bull can mean a lot of different things, to some a big buck is a 16” wide 3 point muley while others wouldn’t even mark a 180” buck. I guess what I’m saying is, stealing all those waypoints wouldn’t do them a whole lot of good.

As to the idea of a heat map website with everyone’s data and people filling up the trailheads at areas with the most pins and tracks, if a scenario like that were to happen I would be the guy using said heatmap to avoid everyone else and hunting the spots nobody is marking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk