Masculinity and Caliber Choice

TaperPin

WKR
*example*
Walking deer ~3mph= 2mil hold from 100 to 600y
Walking elk ~5mph= 3mil hold from 100 to 600y
(adjust based on your load)

There's only a couple inches of error for using the same hold throughout the whole range, but then again it doesn't matter because the speed is a guess anyway. Angle is irrelevant because you're only accounting for the horizontal speed equivalent.

I only have to remember one number. If its slower, hold less. If its faster, hold more. Moving target holds are linear like wind so if its twice as fast, use twice the lead. Really pretty simple. Nobody's saying its an exact science, but it gets ya damn close really quick without much thinking.
I like it - thinking of it in terms of mils (or moa) wasn’t even on my radar. To judge moving speed I can’t see it in mph, but 1 mph = 1.5ish fps, and that I can pick up simply counting out a second and watching the distance traveled. It seems the elk is going close to two mph horizontally.

That’s worth the price of admission - I’m definitely going to play around with it this summer.

FrancoisStrawman

Lil-Rokslider
As a newish hunter, I’ve been talking to many folks regarding calibers, rifles, etc. It seems there is a pretty substantial amount of hunters who make fun of people who use “wimpy” calibers and try to justify using a 338 Win Mag on southern white tails.

Shouldn’t a person use the strongest caliber they can shoot the best? A .243 in the right spot is miles better than a 300WM in the dirt ya know?

I’ve even been told the .270, .308, and even the .30-06 isn’t good enough and a magnum is needed 🤣. Doesn’t make sense.

Thoughts on why some people seem to think their masculinity coincides with their caliber choice?
I personally only use 50 bmg or 0.600 nitro express. But somedays I am feeling patriotic and go with a grape shot 300 pound cannon or the classic mini ball musket.

ddowning

Lil-Rokslider
I know your post wasn't pointed at me, but I'll bite.

I didn't grow up around hunting. I didn't even really grow up shooting. I started shooting long range in high school and started hunting a few years after that. I used match bullets cause they were accurate and I knew my dope for them. Never researched if I could use em. So I hunted with them. 10 animals later and hundreds of meals cooked with them people online are telling me I can't use a 6.5 for game animals and I can't use match bullets. But I've done it, and done it at ranges people say you can't do it at. And I've seen others do it. I don't understand the argument. People that do it have no problems and the people who don't do it say it can't be done. I really don't understand the debate. I can send match bullets through car doors and windows and sheetrock, plywood, brick etc and they still work on the other side. And there's tests backing it up. Heavy clothing, barriers etc.

And I'm far from what I would consider good. I only shoot 1200-2000rds a year from a precision rifle/s Then guys who shoot 5rds a year will argue about their 5 shots vs another guys 5 shots. Or less. 1 shot on an animal vs another guys 1 shot.

No one is saying a 300wm with a core lok can't kill an elk. It's just not the most efficient way to do it. I can pull a 20ft 5000lb trailer with a heavy haul semi but a half ton pickup will do the job just as good... if not better...
Everyone thinks they are the best. It's a rather hysterical trend in our society. I make my living doing "impossible" remodel projects. I'm usually somewhere between the 3rd and the 8th contractor to look at a job. Most of the time the customer has been told by all the other guys that it can't be done. Does that make me "the best?" Hell no! Where do you think I learned how to do it? I learned it from guys that were better than me.

Back to shooting. Again, I learned from some guys that are insanely good. If you had told me 10 years ago that anyone alive could do what I can with a rifle, I would have called bs. The reality, a lot of people are good enough to make what I can do look like child's play.

It's so much easier to write people off as full of it than it is to learn from them and become better. Becoming better takes real work, and normally a chunk of money. It's a lot easier to be blissfully ignorant and live the status quo. Good for you for being willing to test things and not just follow the institutional inertia.

yeti12

FNG
Everyone thinks they are the best. It's a rather hysterical trend in our society. I make my living doing "impossible" remodel projects. I'm usually somewhere between the 3rd and the 8th contractor to look at a job. Most of the time the customer has been told by all the other guys that it can't be done. Does that make me "the best?" Hell no! Where do you think I learned how to do it? I learned it from guys that were better than me.

Back to shooting. Again, I learned from some guys that are insanely good. If you had told me 10 years ago that anyone alive could do what I can with a rifle, I would have called bs. The reality, a lot of people are good enough to make what I can do look like child's play.

It's so much easier to write people off as full of it than it is to learn from them and become better. Becoming better takes real work, and normally a chunk of money. It's a lot easier to be blissfully ignorant and live the status quo. Good for you for being willing to test things and not just follow the institutional inertia.
We are alot alike in our jobs. My day job consists of things that people say you can't do. You can ask a "expert" thats never done it and he says it isn't something that can be done. The general public has absolutely zero grasp of it.

Maybe that's where the desire for all this comes from.

Last edited:

TaperPin

WKR
It’s going to be harder than I thought to convince a buddy to take a 223 rack hunting with me. I asked if they had a 223 with 77 gr TMK, or a 300 mag and 200 gr Accubond to choose from for these hard shots, which would they prefer, and nobody chose the 223 :-(

Dang it all to heck.

I’ll keep trying. *chuckle*

F532DE2F-867D-4B3C-98BF-7781D9286E29.jpeg3B18BACB-FD8A-4EAB-A735-0F4FBE36013F.jpeg

Attachments

• 71E09130-06F0-4862-9F04-9FD1507E855A.jpeg
    71E09130-06F0-4862-9F04-9FD1507E855A.jpeg
    585.2 KB · Views: 29
It’s going to be harder than I thought to convince a buddy to take a 223 rack hunting with me. I asked if they had a 223 with 77 gr TMK, or a 300 mag and 200 gr Accubond to choose from for these hard shots, which would they prefer, and nobody chose the 223 :-(

Dang it all to heck.

You're shooting elk in the ass?

mt100gr.

WKR

Dang it all to heck.

View attachment 701145View attachment 701144
Cornholing with a 300 is still cornholing.
Don't take desperation shots.

Dang it all to heck.

View attachment 701145View attachment 701144
Jesus Christ. A Texas heart shot is a stupid idea with any caliber.