Maven B1's

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
I'd look at the 3rd party independent testing data as far as comparison. People are too easily influenced by marketing and association even when they don't realize it. I think you'll find that the Maven's are an exceptional product for the $. I've been told that the Maven's are essentially the same optically as the top models from Zeiss, and Leica, and the Swaro SLC at 1/2 the cost. The Swaro highest end binocs are fractionally better data wise for somewhere around triple the cost of Maven.

I am influenced by what I see with my own eyes! Every year I hear how "they" are as good as the big three. I have yet to find this to be true.

dotman

WKR
If these are so good why then did Brunton drop them and have them rebranded as Maven's? I haven't looked thru them but I'm also not going to risk an unknown online purchase when there are so many other quality options out there. I guess we'll know if they are putting out a decent product and if their business model works three years from now if they are still around.

OP

WKR
I don't know much about Brunton or why they stopped their optics but Maven, while the same people, is a new company, with an entirely different business model. I, personally, wasn't willing to spend an extra thousand dollars for an established name when I could get the same quality product, with some additional risk due to uncertainty, at half the cost. Direct to consumer business model is a game changer IMO and allows people more freedom to build higher quality gear and still compete with traditional pricing.

Not sure where I saw the test data. Check the website or email Maven.

So much dissension from people who've never handled or looked through the product. Hmmm...

Last edited:

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
For me it's not dissension, its show me. Vortex and Meopta are both in that price range and both DAMN good optics with proven track records and awesome warranty's. Maven's is a new company. How's their warranty, will they be around in 5 years for that warranty. To me there is more to it than just the bino's! I am not knocking Maven's. I hope they are the next great optics company. Only time will tell.

You also come across like it's a sales pitch. Do you work for this company or have a vested interest?

dotman

WKR
For me it's not dissension, its show me. Vortex and Meopta are both in that price range and both DAMN good optics with proven track records and awesome warranty's. Maven's is a new company. How's their warranty, will they be around in 5 years for that warranty. To me there is more to it than just the bino's! I am not knocking Maven's. I hope they are the next great optics company. Only time will tell.

You also come across like it's a sales pitch. Do you work for this company or have a vested interest?

X2.... For a $1000 you can get an amazing bino from established companies with a great record, I'll be interested to see how well the direct to consumer market works out for goods in the $1000 range, much different from $250. I can't aford to be an experiment at that price. Yes Maven is a new company on paper but they are producing and using the old Brunton Binos by the same people that did it for Brunton, not dissension just stating the facts.

In the end I hope they are great and that anyone that purchases them likes them.

drake7

FNG
I can say I have handled them and looked through them at length this last weekend. The quality is fantastic and makes Vortex feel like a toy. The Magnesium case looks and feels great but is a bit on the heavy side. The light gathering and the clarity from edge to edge was definitely superior to the Vortex Razors. Based on their claims, pricing and their direct to consumer business model they should be a better quality bino than the Razors. I would like to see some testing side by side with Leica and Swarovski. Their warrantee is full replacement, no questions asked. Additional issues here would be how long will the company be around, durability of the product and customer service. If they want to breakout they need to get some positive comparison data along with some reputable endorsements. Seems like they have had plenty of time to gain this recognition so it's confusing why they haven't.

OP

WKR
Endorsements like:

Our binoclulars won multiple awards (Outside Magazine "Covet" http://bit.ly/Outside_Maven; National Geographic “Gear of the Year” http://bit.ly/maven_B1; Men’s Journal “Gear of the Year”) ? I just copied/pasted from an email.

I'm not sure what you mean by reputable endorsements I guess. Most "celebrity hunters" are being paid for their "endorsements". I haven't read what the birding community's reaction has been for quite a while. They seem to be the most refined evaluators of high end optics.

Their testing data is on the website. Not sure if there's a side by side comparison somewhere but I think it would be in Maven's best interest to make that happen ASAP.

I'm not comparing the Maven's to other $1k binocs, but to other $2k binocs. Time will tell as to the longevity of the company. I like their odds.

I realize it's the same people but fail to see where the Brunton connection is any more than that. I used to make $7/hr working at a fast food restaurant. Now, after much education/training, I make many multiples of that per hour advising people about their health. I am the same person, using the same brain...

Last edited:

dotman

WKR
Endorsements like:

Our binoclulars won multiple awards (Outside Magazine "Covet" http://bit.ly/Outside_Maven; National Geographic “Gear of the Year” http://bit.ly/maven_B1; Men’s Journal “Gear of the Year”) ? I just copied/pasted from an email.

I'm not sure what you mean by reputable endorsements I guess. Most "celebrity hunters" are being paid for their "endorsements". I haven't read what the birding community's reaction has been for quite a while. They seem to be the most refined evaluators of high end optics.

Their testing data is on the website. Not sure if there's a side by side comparison somewhere but I think it would be in Maven's best interest to make that happen ASAP.

I'm not comparing the Maven's to other $1k binocs, but to other $2k binocs. Time will tell as to the longevity of the company. I like their odds.

I realize it's the same people but fail to see where the Brunton connection is any more than that. I used to make $7/hr working at a fast food restaurant. Now, after much education/training, I make many multiples of that per hour advising people about their health. I am the same person, using the same brain...

Yeah But I bet you are not repackaging those burgers and selling them under a new name to your customers, or are you, Mc307 burgers? No one is knocking Maven just saying it is a risk and too high of a risk with so many other established options.

Last edited:
OP

WKR
I do understand your point, and it is valid IMO. I chose to take the risk on them but understand why others may not. Heck, I may be unconsciously justifying my risk by supporting them here... The mind is funny that way.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
I talk to Brendon from Maven's today. Brendon told me these bino's are new from the ground up. He designed them and the bruntons, so there are some similarity's in the overall look. He was nice enough to send a few pairs out. So look for feedback and reviews soon.

dotman

WKR
I talk to Brendon from Maven's today. Brendon told me these bino's are new from the ground up. He designed them and the bruntons, so there are some similarity's in the overall look. He was nice enough to send a few pairs out. So look for feedback and reviews soon.

Cool!

HOT ROD

WKR
That's a good idea High Country. When is the review going to be in. Look into pick in up a pair of conquest or razors for girl friend. But may just try the mavens

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
That's a good idea High Country. When is the review going to be in. Look into pick in up a pair of conquest or razors for girl friend. But may just try the mavens

It will be a few months(February)