Maven users...

tom338

FNG
For those who have tried both the B model 9 power vs the 11's which did you chose and why?? I like the extra magnification of the 11's but have heard the 9's are better in low light. Yet when you look at the ratings the 11's are rated for better low light. So does the extra magnification take away that much low light capabilities? Would you buy them again?

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Never owned the 9s but did own the 11x45s and they where stellar. My hunting buddy who is a rokslider came over the other day and had his 11x45s that I got to look through again and it really made me miss mine. I upgraded to Swaro ELs or Id of still had them. They are some of the best optics I have looked through with really clear and vibrant view. The only drawback I have is they are heavy.

9x45 in my opinion. They are fantastic. I had the 11's first but kept having depth of focus issues with keeping the right eye focused with left. The 9's i never had the problems. Only thing i didn't like was the ergonomics with them being so large. For the money you cant beat them. Ive tried a lot of stuff in that 1k range and definitely like the B2

I'm a big fan of the 11x45's for hunting big open country. Personally though, if it were 11x50 I would take the weight sacrifice of the 50 objective to increase early/late light visibility. Last September I was at a glassing knob before a hint of light started to rise, listening to bugles in the open. I was glassing to the east and into the sun (before it crested over the mountain), so the place where the elk were bugling from was still in the darkest shadow. Still though, I never saw one of those elk before they went into the timber for the day. I have heard of people using a phone skope with their phone on auto-adjust light mode to add a bunch more visibility to dawn and dusk glassing. Maybe I should have tried that as well. I haven't tried the 9's though.

Anything over 10x I have trouble freehanding so the 9x was the easy choice for me. Brighter and wider view is an added bonus. Never once wished for the 11s but I almost always pack 15s as well.

JakeSCH

WKR
This was just posted by someone who compared them side by side last week.

I turmoiled back and forth and ended up going with the 9x because low light performance and for hand holding. I've been running the 9x for a couple years now and absolutely love them and their brightness / low light ability.

With the EL sell off, I recently decided to buy a pair of EL SV's to compare to B2's. Surprisingly, when comparing the El's in 10x42 vs B2 9x45's, the Mavens have really held their own. I've spend about 5 hours going back and forth between the two and would say that the B2's are brighter (makes sense to larger exit pupil) and are better low light. The EL's are just a tad bit better on CA and have a significantly better depth of field.

I have gotten use to always playing with my focus, but I could easily get use to the EL's and never having to touch my focus wheel.

I literally just bought another pair of El's yesterday (8.5x42) to add to the test. Hopefully I can compare all 3 next week. This EL selloff has been tough of my bank account.

I’ve used both Sig Zulu’s which are supposedly comparable. The glass is amazing in both and I can handhold both. You can’t go wrong but I agree the depth of field is more shallow on the 11’s. If you tripod them it could be more annoying. If you use them as a chest bino then I don’t mind the extra focusing. They are bulky but to me they are more than worth their weight.

twrob18

FNG
I just finished demoing both the 9x45s and the 11x45s. I liked them both and went back and forth on which ones I liked better. I ended up buying the 9s. Both were great on the tripod but I thought the 9s were a little easier to handhold. I also thought the 9s were a touch brighter. I don't think you can go wrong with either one.