Maven vs Swarovski

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yep I'm in way over my head in this discussion. Don't mind me I'll go back to my corner

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
The eye relief specs don't lie, if you wear eye glasses it glaringly obvious.

Didn't you say in that other thread you have better than eagle vision? ;)

In any case the eye relief spec doesn't tell all. the eyecup design of the Meopta (or Euro) makes the absolute most of the available eye relief, and is better than many designs with longer eye relief. IMO, the eye relief isn't a big difference, while the optical performance/ aberration control difference would make the Meopta the winner to me.

Back to the OP:

I do think Maven's offerings warrant a look against the competition, even Swarovski. Perhaps the savings would offset the performance differences, and the hunter could put those savings toward a hunt or other gear needs. It is a pretty individual decision.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Yep I'm in way over my head in this discussion. Don't mind me I'll go back to my corner

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

No you're not. You were absolutely right about the EL Range not being HD or having Swarovision. I was just adding to your point.

Bwana

WKR
Didn't you say in that other thread you have better than eagle vision? ;)

Actually no I didn't :p
Paraphrasing: I said that "I had excellent eye sight", another member said "why would I need binos if I had eagle eyesight", I replied "because even an eagle gets to gain advantage of quality optics"....but thanks for trolling me :cool:

I have a slight astigmatism, but 20/15 vision and corrective surgery/contact lens isn't an option...thus glasses.

EDIT: I also said: "your ability to critique optics quality, is directly related to the quality of your vision"...and you took offense to it, and I stand by that statement :)

Last edited:

Bwana

WKR

I agree with Mr.Cashell, it's just a matter of understanding terms/specs and some simple learning. That saves a lot of trial/error along with cash on bad purchases, and allows you to make good decisions in optics best for you and your vision/limitations.

AZ_Jake

FNG
I have a set of B4 15s and have compared them to quite a few of the other top 15s. They seem to be on par or better with everything I have put them against except the new Swarovski HDs. I preferred the Mavens over the old SLCs.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Actually no I didn't :p
Paraphrasing: I said that "I had excellent eye sight", another member said "why would I need binos if I had eagle eyesight", I replied "because even an eagle gets to gain advantage of quality optics"....but thanks for trolling me :cool:

I have a slight astigmatism, but 20/15 vision and corrective surgery/contact lens isn't an option...thus glasses.

EDIT: I also said: "your ability to critique optics quality, is directly related to the quality of your vision"...and you took offense to it, and I stand by that statement :)

Trolling? I don't think so. This is what you actually posted:

And that was my original point, eye glasses correct vision issues...it attempts to supply 20/20 vision. But remember 20/20 isn't "perfect" vision, it's what's considered "normal". Many have vision far above 20/20 in quality, including myself...including a hawk/eagle. There is no replacing or handicapping for excellent vision, optics help you see FAR better than the naked eye...but with excellent vision your "view" is different than those with lesser eye sight ability. It's just a stated fact, not meant as an insult to anyone.

No mention of your glasses there. and I believe the eagle comparison is included. It was disingenuous at best.

For the record, I didn't take offense, I just refuted your assertion. Now how about we stop this thread derail, and get back to the OP?

Last edited:

Bwana

WKR
I can't find the thread, and don't really care at the moment...but there were other posts of mine that reflected my "paraphrased" statement above. Either way I never said I had "eagle" vision, and many times have stated I wear eye glasses.

I'm not looking to spar with you, nor insult your input...I obviously have little value to add towards your thoughts or opinions, no problem.

But back to the OP's subject:
Oh yea, How do mavens compare to Swarovski?...take it away Matt ;)

Last edited:

buffsmoker

Lil-Rokslider
Hopefully I'm not derailing this thread again, but both the Mavens and the Meoptas have been mentioned so here goes.

Matt...how would you say the B2 in 9x45 compares to the Meostar 10x42 HD, specifically as far as low light performance?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Haha, sounds pretty on-topic to me, buffsmoker.

I haven't tested the 9x45, so I couldn't say for sure, but I would expect the Maven to have a low-light advantage, given its exit pupil is .8mm exit larger combined with the Abbe-Koenig prisms.

Sled

WKR
Haha, sounds pretty on-topic to me, buffsmoker.

I haven't tested the 9x45, so I couldn't say for sure, but I would expect the Maven to have a low-light advantage, given its exit pupil is .8mm exit larger combined with the Abbe-Koenig prisms.

Matt,

Have you had a chance to spend time with the mavens since this thread?

Sorry to bump an old thread but it seemed better than starting a new one without all the context and info that has previously been added.

I did not think the Maven B1 10x42s compared well with the Swaro SLC 10x42s. I thought that the B2 11x45s compared well enough with the Swaros that anyone considering the two should try their best to test both pairs prior to purchasing. Ultimately, I chose the Swaro SLCs and could go into much more (mostly non-technical) detail regarding the B2s vs the SLCs. The SLCs are such a refined packaged and the low light image is striking. To my eyes, the B2s were the standout in the $1000 price range though.
I'd like you to go into much more detail if you have the inclination to do so?

Looking at glass around $1k range.
So Maven, Leopold, Zeiss...and possibly Swarovski SL's