Maven vs Vortex

How does the Diamondback vortex line stack up with maven optics? How clear is the glass, how’s the low light capability?

Northpark

WKR
B Series mavens blow vortex diamond backs out of the water. Not even a contest. My viper HDs are close to maven B series glass but still sub par. My next binos will be maven b series 11x45s over my viper hd 12x50s.

dmoto

Lil-Rokslider
Over the years, I first started out with Diamondback 12x50, then went to Minox 10x44, then finally to Maven B.6 12x50. It's similar to going from an old 80's TV to a brand new 4K TV. Apples and oranges.

OP
W
Over the years, I first started out with Diamondback 12x50, then went to Minox 10x44, then finally to Maven B.6 12x50. It's similar to going from an old 80's TV to a brand new 4K TV. Apples and oranges.
Damn that good uh. Well I guess I have to upgrade sometime soon then.

Sled

WKR
B.3 10x42
Unless something has changed, the b3 line is smaller objectives (30mm). The 10x42 is usually b1 or 1.2

Fwiw, my b3 8x are the go-to chest set for 90% of my hunting. I leave the 10x42 slc with my wife and she has started to call them hers.

OP
W
Unless something has changed, the b3 line is smaller objectives (30mm). The 10x42 is usually b1 or 1.2

Fwiw, my b3 8x are the go-to chest set for 90% of my hunting. I leave the 10x42 slc with my wife and she has started to call them hers.
Oops you are correct. I was really interested in that there so light.

I have the Maven B1.2 10x42 and the B2 9x45. Both are awesome. I got the B1.2 as they are a good bit smaller and better suited for when I mobile. Both are excellent optically. I bought the new Zeiss binocs and sent them back. They were nice but to me not worth $800 more.

2531usmc

WKR
What a lot of people dont' understand is all these high end optics are made a handful of different companies/factories (at least the glass). There just aren't very many suppliers of this quality of glass. The differences in these high end optics is more features than pure optical quality. A quick look turned up that these maven optics are made in japan, I would bet good money the glass is from the exact same company in japan that Vortex gets theirs.
That probably accounts for the explosion of companies selling scopes over the last decade or so

in all likelihood, the same factories crank out scopes & binocs
from multiple retailers

Sled

WKR
What a lot of people dont' understand is all these high end optics are made a handful of different companies/factories (at least the glass). There just aren't very many suppliers of this quality of glass. The differences in these high end optics is more features than pure optical quality. A quick look turned up that these maven optics are made in japan, I would bet good money the glass is from the exact same company in japan that Vortex gets theirs.
The secret sauce is the coatings. You can't order up a set of vortex crossfires (china) or razors (Japan) and have them put the maven b1.2 coatings on.

Also to keep costs low, specs/tolerances are different for lower end glass compared to higher end glass. They may look alike and be from the same factory but have differences you'd notice after using them.

That’s not even a close comparison.

Mavens blow all Vortex but the Razors out of the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Xlr8n

Lil-Rokslider
If only it were that simple. There are 4-5 major glass makers for high end optics. Most have over 100 glass products in their optical glass catalog of varying grades. Then the glass makers and/or the optics maker both have proprietary coatings based on size and model. Add in the internals including housings, focus mechnisms, and armor, made in both Japan and China, and you suddenly have thousands of potential combinations coming out of the Light Optical Works and Kamakura factories. Just a slight variation is specs can make or break the opitcal quality of any given binocular. No two optics coming out of each of the factories are the same.

That’s not even a close comparison.

Mavens blow all Vortex but the Razors out of the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
It was a really close race between the razor 12x50s and mavens b6 12x50s, but ended up keeping the vortex. Couldn't see a difference, and I could resell the mavens for more.