MDT HNT26 - how to carry on pack

FattyBinz

FNG
I'm looking at ordering a Alamo Precision's Carbon Tomahawk in 6.5 PRC with a 22" barrel. Going to put a TBAC Ultra 7 on it. It will be a pretty long rifle, but I'm hoping it will be packable with that folding stock. My concern is how to pack this thing. I usually run a kifaru gun bearer with my tikka t3x superlite. The buttstock hangs off the bottom by quite a bit. My concern is that if I have the folded stock sticking out below the bottom of the pack at all, the scope is just going to be sitting there waiting to be one of the first things to smack the ground if I slip. With the tikka, I've fallen or slid down a steep slope and the buttstock hits the ground and its all good...but I don't have that buffer with the foldable stock. Anyone with a similar-length rifle with a foldable stock have some insights/photos on the best way to pack this thing? Wondering if I ditch the foldable idea and just go for one of Alamo's normal rifles, maybe go to a 20" barrel, and stick with leaving my buttstock hanging low.....OR just get a Seekins Element with the 21" and save $2700.

Dave C.

Lil-Rokslider
I suppose it just depends on how quickly you think you'll need to access the gun. I'm running the same chassis on my 6.5 and if I'm actively hunting, I've got the gun shouldered with a sling. But if I'm traveling or hiking into a hunting area where the probability of needing the gun quickly is low, the stock is folded and it's either in my pack or strapped on the back. Even strapped on the back, I can still get it off and get a shot off fairly quickly. It's rare that I stumble onto a quality animal at less than 100-200 yds in most mountain locations. Usually they're far enough away that I can gain access to the gun before they even know I'm there.

loadsandlattes

Lil-Rokslider
I’m not sure if this helps, but this is how I carry mine. This is a 6.5 PRC with a 20” barrel and an Omega 300 Suppressor, direct threaded. It does get banged around a bit but as long as you don’t mind it’s no big deal. That was an Exo 6400 pack with a lid and 6 days worth of food, so pretty full. Never bothered me or got hung up on anything. I will say, if you baby your rifle you will want a cover for the action/scope. I just send it, though.

Attachments

• IMG_2243.jpeg
    IMG_2243.jpeg
    626.5 KB · Views: 23