Measuring a rifle barrel for cut/thread

TxxAgg

WKR
When sending a rifle off to a smith, is the smith measuring from the breech face to the muzzle end or from the receiver to the muzzle end? There's about an inch difference.

I know the ATF measures from the breech face. I assumed everyone measures this way. Am I crazy?

If someone lays a barrel on the table and measures, they are gonna include the tenon. The barrelled action hides the tenon, but it is still there, so can’t see why a smith would do anything substantially different than the ATF on a bolt action barrel.

Rest easy, but if you must call the smith to verify.

Thanks for saving my sanity. The work has already been completed. The work looks great. But the measurements are wrong. He has been great otherwise.

I guess I should have triple checked with him. I had no idea anyone would measure any other way.

Last edited:
I'm not pissed. I am annoyed. 4 barrels total. 2 are mine. 2 are my brother's. Not a huuuge deal but it wasn't free.

We're agreeable fellas. I just want to know what the general consensus is. I thought there was only one way to measure a barrel.

People describe what they want done to guns in all sorts of ways. When I saw the title of this post I was going to suggest marking the finished length in Sharpie to prevent misunderstandings, but that’s a little late.

Machinists and gunsmiths have to be exact in their questions, interactions, and cuts or they aren’t in business very long, but that’s hard to do even in a perfect world. I’m guessing between you and your brother something was said that gave the smith the impression you are talking about receiver to can length - obviously you didn’t intend that, but I doubt a smith would screw up 4 measurements without a good reason. It could be something as innocent as you saying you like the looks of a 16” barrel - that could be interpreted as the visible portion should be that length.

The exception to this is minimum legal barrels - many smiths won’t cut a barrel to 16”, but it will be somewhere between 16” and 17” - usually they will tell you.

Worst case, he’s a drunk or on pills, or has old timers, or just got done beating up his wife or kid and wasn’t thinking straight.

I doubt he has enough extra margin to be able to recut every barrel he works on and stay in business, so there’s a good chance he wouldn’t recut them for free.

That’s a bummer.

I'm not pissed. I am annoyed. 4 barrels total. 2 are mine. 2 are my brother's. Not a huuuge deal but it wasn't free.

We're agreeable fellas. I just want to know what the general consensus is. I thought there was only one way to measure a barrel.
Ask him to cut them. If he does, then consider keeping him if the work is good. Everyone makes mistakes and maybe he will ask better questions next time.

Be a good customer and good providers will reciprocate. If they don’t I am ready to move on quickly.

People describe what they want done to guns in all sorts of ways. When I saw the title of this post I was going to suggest marking the finished length in Sharpie to prevent misunderstandings, but that’s a little late.

Machinists and gunsmiths have to be exact in their questions, interactions, and cuts or they aren’t in business very long, but that’s hard to do even in a perfect world. I’m guessing between you and your brother something was said that gave the smith the impression you are talking about receiver to can length - obviously you didn’t intend that, but I doubt a smith would screw up 4 measurements without a good reason. It could be something as innocent as you saying you like the looks of a 16” barrel - that could be interpreted as the visible portion should be that length.

The exception to this is minimum legal barrels - many smiths won’t cut a barrel to 16”, but it will be somewhere between 16” and 17” - usually they will tell you.

Worst case, he’s a drunk or on pills, or has old timers, or just got done beating up his wife or kid and wasn’t thinking straight.

I doubt he has enough extra margin to be able to recut every barrel he works on and stay in business, so there’s a good chance he wouldn’t recut them for free.

That’s a bummer.

I appreciate that you care enough to post your thoughts, however you are making a lot of assumptions.

At the end of the day all of our communication was clear with the exception that he measure barrel length differently than most.

He offered to make it right. As I said, I'm not mad. I'm not interested in shipping these barrels again. So I'll make it work. Lesson learned.

Just an FYI, I always tell whomever is doing the work how much to cut off from the muzzle end. That way there is no confusion.

For example, on my last Tikka barrel, I told the smith to take off 4.3” from the muzzle.

Back