Meateater wolf podcast vs Kifaru Wolf Podcast

I listened to MeatEater wolf podcast, I like the podcast for the most part, but these guys almost tap dance around predator issues imo I’ve heard it w/ Grizzlies, Mountain Lions and Wolves.... they almost seem worried to me about offending someone or something.. I really question if they support managing predators. It’s a little to “politically correct” imo on predator issues.

I’ll listen to Kifaru’s tomorrow.

Colorado will be in huge trouble w/ wolves. There will never be a season...ever.... in fact I’ll be shocked in 15 years if any predator hunting/management is even allowed in Colorado. Imagine for a moment if no management was being done in Idaho, Wyoming and Montana....

Colorado can’t manage predators now... wolves will run a muck and neighboring states will suffer as well.

And it’s just not the greenies and libs anymore. Every year that goes by, more “hunters” stop supporting trapping/predator management. It makes me sick
We'll kill them sumbitches with a spork. I gair-own-tee.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Listened to both

That Bio on ME was a ******* joke. Bad winters..... We had much worse 'winters' when I was a kid.

If anyone thinks wolves don't have any impact on elk come with me up to the CDA river right now. The land sharks are very good at what they do. Maybe not all places are getting hammered but North Idaho and the Idaho wilderness areas are not looking so good.

IF you care about elk, moose or deer please join the Foundation for Wildlife Management.

I listened to MeatEater wolf podcast, I like the podcast for the most part, but these guys almost tap dance around predator issues imo I’ve heard it w/ Grizzlies, Mountain Lions and Wolves.... they almost seem worried to me about offending someone or something.. I really question if they support managing predators. It’s a little to “politically correct” imo on predator issues.

Colorado will be in huge trouble w/ wolves. There will never be a season...ever.... in fact I’ll be shocked in 15 years if any predator hunting/management is even allowed in Colorado. Imagine for a moment if no management was being done in Idaho, Wyoming and Montana....

Colorado can’t manage predators now... wolves will run a muck and neighboring states will suffer as well.

And it’s just not the greenies and libs anymore. Every year that goes by, more “hunters” stop supporting trapping/predator management. It makes me sick 🤢

They totally puss out on all predator issues.

Listened to both

That Bio on ME was a ******* joke. Bad winters..... We had much worse 'winters' when I was a kid.

If anyone thinks wolves don't have any impact on elk come with me up to the CDA river right now. The land sharks are very good at what they do. Maybe not all places are getting hammered but North Idaho and the Idaho wilderness areas are not looking so good.

IF you care about elk, moose or deer please join the Foundation for Wildlife Management.

Exactly, Ryan. Funny how you can really spot the BS after going through the whole Idaho reintroduction experience and seeing areas literally change before your eyes.

How's Lolo doing? How about the Selway? The Frank? The Panhandle? They're decimated and a literal small fraction of what they once were. And there's one major reason that we all know if we're not wolf lovers.

The thing that still disgusts me in hindsight is the total lies about wolf reintroduction. 10 breeding pairs and 100 wolves in the state of Idaho for population minimums and 8 billion lawsuits and 8 billion dollars spent to prevent any hunting after there was a very conservative estimate of 850 wolves and growing.

Most of the biologists I've really gotten to know in Idaho admit wolves are the main population issue in these areas. They're concerned to say too much of course because of the rabbis antis.

Exactly, Ryan. Funny how you can really spot the BS after going through the whole Idaho reintroduction experience and seeing areas literally change before your eyes.

How's Lolo doing? How about the Selway? The Frank? The Panhandle? They're decimated and a literal small fraction of what they once were. And there's one major reason that we all know if we're not wolf lovers.

The thing that still disgusts me in hindsight is the total lies about wolf reintroduction. 10 breeding pairs and 100 wolves in the state of Idaho for population minimums and 8 billion lawsuits and 8 billion dollars spent to prevent any hunting after there was a very conservative estimate of 850 wolves and growing.

Most of the biologists I've really gotten to know in Idaho admit wolves are the main population issue in these areas. They're concerned to say too much of course because of the rabbis antis.

Hey, leave the rabbis out of this . We all know you should never try to bring logic to an emotions-based argument. Colorado is doomed. This was a done deal as soon as they got it on the ballot for 2020.

Man, this issue really pisses me off.

Being someone that actually goes into our wilderness areas. You see these vast areas that SHOULD hold elk and deer. Lush green grass in areas or burns with lost of places to graze or browse and there is not an ungulate around... Why is that? It must be the winter that according to the research have been mild over the last 25 years.

Yeah, I get the Selway has bad soil for ungulates but why was it an elk mecca in the 80s and 90s only to be void of game now... must be these ******* 'winters' even though it's been burned all to hell and should have a boat-load of food... Good luck Colorado... You had the biggest elk herd... HAD. We will all be driving east to Kentucky soon to do our elk hunting. Ok ok, I'm done.

Yeah and I’m sure she’s someone who’s opinion has “value” when it comes to wolf management and this potential introduction in colorado. Get out of here with your winter is the reason the numbers are down and you don’t see elk anymore because they become nocturnal. What a joke. I ran up on six freshly killed elk in the same drainage last September up here in north idaho. Winter sure did a number on them...

And it’s just not the greenies and libs anymore. Every year that goes by, more “hunters” stop supporting trapping/predator management. It makes me sick 🤢

If the meareater crew doesn't support predator management how do you explain multiple bear hunt episodes and a mountain lion episode on their TV show? Just because they "enjoy" or "like" bears lions and wolves doesn't mean they don't believe in management or enjoy hunting them. Not everyone has to hate wolves or bears to believe they need managed

And just to be clear I'm against the world reintroduction

I need to listen to ME again. I didn't come away with the same impression of the podcast or the biologist. I thought she was against humans putting wolves in Colorado and she's also not some pet lover in NYC who thinks wolves are dogs. She's spent her entire professional career studying one animal. I can understand her attachment but she also seemed to have a detachment for when they are killed as just part of the territory.

It appears to me that the political "climate change" in Colorado is the root of the current reintroduction problem.

Everyone knows that global warming....I mean climate change winters are to blame. After all guys, I think she mentioned several times that she's a hunter...which is relevant.

Does that biologist know a metric crap ton about wolves? Yes. Was she sugar coating and deflecting on a lot of inconvenient questions, absolutely.

Lady just admit you and other biologists feel differently about a wolf killing a wolf vs. the lowly humans killing them.

If the meareater crew doesn't support predator management how do you explain multiple bear hunt episodes and a mountain lion episode on their TV show? Just because they "enjoy" or "like" bears lions and wolves doesn't mean they don't believe in management or enjoy hunting them. Not everyone has to hate wolves or bears to believe they need managed

They have done an excellent job using the Meat Eater Platform in regards to lower 48 grizz management :rolleyes: they barely mention it..
If that had been a species of deer that a single judge had put a stop to, rinella would be talking about it in every episode.

The mountain lion episode is a prime example... they get wierded out about taking a mountain lion...he’s even said he doesn’t know if he would do it again and acts like it’s a weird experience....it’s another animal.

And they don’t have to hate them.... I don’t expect that..but I wish they would stop treating bears/wolves/lions different than other species... and take a stand for predator management.

Last edited:
So what's the actual status of wolf reintroduction in CO? It's for sure on the ballot for 2020?

Might as well use Mexican grey wolves because they're as close to the actual prior species as the massive Canadian dogs. Another awesome part of the reintroduction is that it's a very different subspecies being reintroduced.

In all honesty wolves could do okay and not be terribly impactful in Colorado if the hunting seasons matched Idaho. It's the massive wilderness areas where wolves go crazy without Management and wipe out the game. It's still painful but in the frontcountry with some access and road density like most of Colorado the elk numbers can stay pretty good. Without hunting wolves, which are prolific breeders, forget about it.

So what's the actual status of wolf reintroduction in CO? It's for sure on the ballot for 2020?

Might as well use Mexican grey wolves because they're as close to the actual prior species as the massive Canadian dogs. Another awesome part of the reintroduction is that it's a very different subspecies being reintroduced.

In all honesty wolves could do okay and not be terribly impactful in Colorado if the hunting seasons matched Idaho. It's the massive wilderness areas where wolves go crazy without Management and wipe out the game. It's still painful but in the frontcountry with some access and road density like most of Colorado the elk numbers can stay pretty good. Without hunting wolves, which are prolific breeders, forget about it.

Dude... they can’t even spring bear hunt in Colorado... there will never be a wolf hunt.

Colorado elk numbers will tank, and arguably the best Shiras moose state will go the way of the others.

I love how the bio on meat eater said wolves will kill other wolves in their area to protect their resource, but it’s not ok for humans to kill all the wolves in the area to protect our resource? She was obviously biased and even contradictory at times. This whole liberal ecosystem balance BS really pisses me off, humans are part of the ecosystem, they treat it as if us and nature are separate...

It was weird when the biologist said that when Lewis and Clark crossed through Montana that the game was rich because they had never been hunted.

Duh!!! I'm pretty sure that the Indians didn't all eat nuts and berries. Those bows and arrows weren't for show. Steve had to correct her but not enough in my opinion.

She was hard to listen to at times. She would only speak for Montana, and she repeatedly said that harvest numbers show that elk and deer harvest has not dropped since wolf reintroduction. But she also acknowledged that some hunters are finding drainages void of ungulates. Her response was to keep looking.

When Colorado came up she said that the Mexican Gray wolf would be a better choice. Then she said that it is significantly different than the timber wolf. Then she said that she didn't want to talk any more about Mexican Gray wolves. She absolutely stopped. Why??? Because the timber wolf will likely cause the extinction of all wild Mexican Gray wolves within the next 10 years or so. Timber wolves disperse 500 miles or more according to her own studies. They will leave Colorado and go kill the little Mexican Gray wolves in New Mexico and Arizona. There is no doubt.

She clearly danced around some of Steve's questions and surprisingly, he didn't call her out much. Numerous times he asked her about the wolves in Yellowstone and especially Idaho. She claimed that she was only a spectator and wasn't knowledgeable about Yellowstone or Idaho. BS !!!

MeatEater, good scientific info was interesting to listen to.

Kifarucast, a bunch of opinions and very hard to listen to.
So, you prefer to listen to a biased biologist who deflected on all the tough questions?

Man, this issue really pisses me off.

Being someone that actually goes into our wilderness areas. You see these vast areas that SHOULD hold elk and deer. Lush green grass in areas or burns with lost of places to graze or browse and there is not an ungulate around... Why is that? It must be the winter that according to the research have been mild over the last 25 years.

Yeah, I get the Selway has bad soil for ungulates but why was it an elk mecca in the 80s and 90s only to be void of game now... must be these ******* 'winters' even though it's been burned all to hell and should have a boat-load of food... Good luck Colorado... You had the biggest elk herd... HAD. We will all be driving east to Kentucky soon to do our elk hunting. Ok ok, I'm done.
This...
Saw the same thing first hand with the Yellowstone elk herd.
Sickening

So, you prefer to listen to a biased biologist who deflected on all the tough questions?

Did you listen to the biologist for what it was really worth? Or did you go into it with the "F Her attitude?"

Some key points from her

"Wolves don't need vast areas in order to live" i.e. they can live in back yards. She's pointing out, drop them in the Wilderness, they will end up in your back yard eat your dogs, cats, etc.

"Wolves don't hang out above timberline, or in the wilderness during the winter" I.e. they follow the game down, right into the valleys where ranchers live which means livestock issues. There is no food up high during the winter.

"She never supported wolf introduction" They were going to get here anyways.

I could go on and on as she had alot of info I didn't know. Sure she dodged some questions, but I'd say she was far from being anti-hunting or agenda driven. KifaruCast, a bunch of guys whining about shit we already know and the fact they won't get tags in the future. I travel for a living, meaning long rides in airplanes. I couldn't even get through half of Kifarucast as its just 3 guys complaining to the choir.

Did you listen to the biologist for what it was really worth? Or did you go into it with the "F Her attitude?"

Some key points from her

"Wolves don't need vast areas in order to live" i.e. they can live in back yards. She's pointing out, drop them in the Wilderness, they will end up in your back yard eat your dogs, cats, etc.

"Wolves don't hang out above timberline, or in the wilderness during the winter" I.e. they follow the game down, right into the valleys where ranchers live which means livestock issues. There is no food up high during the winter.

"She never supported wolf introduction" They were going to get here anyways.

I could go on and on as she had alot of info I didn't know. Sure she dodged some questions, but I'd say she was far from being anti-hunting or agenda driven. KifaruCast, a bunch of guys whining about shit we already know and the fact they won't get tags in the future. I travel for a living, meaning long rides in airplanes. I couldn't even get through half of Kifarucast as it was nothing but whining.
Nope. Didn't go into that with that attitude. Left with that attitude. Meat Eater groupies are as bad as the pro wolf crowd. She had some good points and some absolutely dumb ass ones.

Back