Meeting Blaze Orange Requirements

Curious what you you guys using. I’ve typically gone with a thin, cheap vest. I like to wear a merino T-shirt or long sleeve while traveling during the day. Ideally, I’d wear blaze orange merino, but I don’t know of anyone making it, or if it’s even possible to produce. It kind of sucks to have a technical clothing system with a baggy cotton vest in the mix that gets sweated through and never dries out. I’m looking for the least disruptive option. I certainly don’t want anything that adds any warmth. I don’t need or want pockets. Also while on this topic, has anyone ever been stopped by FWP for covering the square inch requirement with a pack?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paisano

FNG
I’ve always wondered the same thing with respect to covering orange with your pack. Following.

Bcleck90

WKR
Orange Aglow vest and panel for the pack. Some sort of blaze hat if I need it. They dry out quick and weigh very little.

ODB

WKR
I’ve always wondered the same thing with respect to covering orange with your pack. Following.

I’ve never understood why this is problematic? I’d you can’t see the orange, it doesn’t matter if it’s covered by a jacket or a pack. Get orange panels and put them on your pack.

kiddogy

WKR
Idaho is not a required orange head state so I don't have to worry about such silliness.

I don't buy into the orange save B.S. A fool who would shoot you will do so no matter what color you wear.

the only close calls I have had was when I wore orange . it makes one a better target.

Mt Al

WKR
I have an older mesh blaze orange vest for hot days, really helps and no clue who made/makes it. I carry another cheapo orange vest and hang it from the top straps on my pack so it covers the back and part of the sides. On good days when I'm packing something out, the cheap orange vest goes right up on the head or skull that's on the pack.

If I had a svelte silhouette I might be more worried about how the cheap orange vest make me look dumpier. Sadly, this is not the case.

In Washington state, we are required to wear 400 square inches (20"x20") during rifle general season. If you are hunting on a limited draw tag, muzzleloader or archery, no orange required unless it overlaps with a rifle general season. The law states that the orange must be visible from all sides. An orange hat combined with a vest more than meets the requirement, and you can wear your pack and be unconcerned with how much of your orange is being covered up. By the way, in Washington, we can now wear fluorescent pink also!

Clarence

WKR
Orange Aglow vest and panel for the pack. Some sort of blaze hat if I need it. They dry out quick and weigh very little.
+1, orange aglow is best option I have found.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
I hunt in CO and I beleive the legal requirement is 400 square inches and orange 360 degrees on the head. I always wear a blaze orange hat. Either a Bernie or baseball cap. If it's not cold I wear a synthetic button up long sleeve collared shirt. If I have to bundle up, I have an extra large synthetic reversible vest with large front pockets for my gloves. I can out all my clothes on and still fit the vest on.

I dont like the little orglange vests.

I don't put orange on my pack. My long sleeves and hat are plenty. I think I did them math on my sleeves and figured out that just one visible sleeve is almost enough.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I use a cheap synthetic vest. I also put one on my pack. It works great. I like being able to take my orange off when I get where I'm going(legal here).

Hunting back east, I evolved from using old school orange camo to vests. I spent more on better built vests but find I prefer thinner garments to go over technical gear that also gets used in bow hunting season where there is no orange requirement.

Orange aglow is my current favorite. Both the vest and the pack panel. I also have a blaze orange jimmy tarps pack cover but I don’t use it much. For headgear I have a UA ball cap and a car hart watch cap.

I haven’t seen blaze orange merino but I have a couple of blaze orange synthetic tee shirts from cabelas that are built for upland hunting.

Lastly, I have a small, silky nylon army signal panel I carry. I use it as a flag overhead when breaking something down for travel and then tend to wrap it around the deer,turkey, etc. I have on my back. They cost about $3 and weigh an oz.

You can make your own Blaze merino. Starting with white or off white works best.

ChrisAU

WKR
A Blaze Orange Kifaru Sherman Pocket or Seek Talon is the tits for putting orange on your pack while adding some storage and compression versatility. I have a Sherman but just got a Talon and love it. The Talon is huge and only 4.7 oz on my scale.

Pgidley

FNG
I have a real hard time finding hats that fit my huge head, but XL-XXL Flexfit hats fit great. I bought a plain orange one and hit it with a light dusting of orange fluorescent spray paint. I recently bought a First Lite blaze orange hat, but to my eye it isn't very "blaze", just orange.

I Colorado CPW officer I chatted with said orange on a pack is a "judgement call" issue. The way the statute is written is somewhat vague when interpreted by a pack covering up so much of the inches. I've been using a blaze Grab-It lately, and a orange Sherman (YAY!) this year. In years past I just ziptied a $1 Hobby Lobby blaze bandanna on the outside of other packs and actually got kudos from officers that have checked me for that practice. Kind of like having crumpled beer cans in your truck, not illegal in their own right but is an easy lead-in for more probing questions to follow. I remember CPW having a video on their website a few years back that did state to add orange to your backpack - could not locate that quickly but this is a quote from CPW Website: (https://cpw.state.co.us/learn/Pages/EHU-CH1-L12.aspx)

"Blaze Orange
Colorado law requires that you wear at least 500 square inches of solid daylight fluorescent orange, including a head covering, and it must be visible from all directions. Camo orange does not qualify. I suggest a fleece vest, a ball cap, and a stocking cap for the pack. Blaze hooded-garments work very well also. If your daypack is not blaze orange, don’t forget an extra orange vest to cover it."

If you keep an eye out at Wallyworld you can find short and long sleeve "quick-dry safety shirts" for a few dollars on sale in late summer. I usually buy a couple of these oversized and just put on over the top of my hoodie in mid-season hunts. Still have never found a good vest I like that is friendly to carry a pack with.

Lots of wiggle room for interpretation from statute to best practices, I will err on the side of best practices.

LRHunter

FNG
I had a conservation officer tell me he could "technically" write a ticket for an orange hat that has an emblem or writing on it that is not not blaze orange. He said he never has but it is a technicality that could impact 99% of hunters.

I just take my attorney with me hunting these days to work out any details. :)

Poser

WKR
+ another for Orange Aglow vest and pack panel. Light, inexpensive, legal.

First Lite makes a Merino Orange hat. Not sure why nobody has gone so far as to make a Merino Orange shirt, though a vest makes the most sense since you can layer it over a puffy, shell or base layer.

ODB

WKR
I Colorado CPW officer I chatted with said orange on a pack is a "judgement call" issue. The way the statute is written is somewhat vague when interpreted by a pack covering up so much of the inches. I've been using a blaze Grab-It lately, and a orange Sherman (YAY!) this year. In years past I just ziptied a $1 Hobby Lobby blaze bandanna on the outside of other packs and actually got kudos from officers that have checked me for that practice. Kind of like having crumpled beer cans in your truck, not illegal in their own right but is an easy lead-in for more probing questions to follow. I remember CPW having a video on their website a few years back that did state to add orange to your backpack - could not locate that quickly but this is a quote from CPW Website: (https://cpw.state.co.us/learn/Pages/EHU-CH1-L12.aspx)

"Blaze Orange
Colorado law requires that you wear at least 500 square inches of solid daylight fluorescent orange, including a head covering, and it must be visible from all directions. Camo orange does not qualify. I suggest a fleece vest, a ball cap, and a stocking cap for the pack. Blaze hooded-garments work very well also. If your daypack is not blaze orange, don’t forget an extra orange vest to cover it."

If you keep an eye out at Wallyworld you can find short and long sleeve "quick-dry safety shirts" for a few dollars on sale in late summer. I usually buy a couple of these oversized and just put on over the top of my hoodie in mid-season hunts. Still have never found a good vest I like that is friendly to carry a pack with.

Lots of wiggle room for interpretation from statute to best practices, I will err on the side of best practices.

Not sure why the pack question would be a judgement call? “Must be visible from all directions” is pretty clear. Allowing a pack to cover orange is no different from saying, “But officer I got cold and put on my (camo) jacket.