Merino Gloves

colonel00

WKR
I guess this is the best forum for this question. I am really interested in finding a light, thin pair of gloves that will really help take the bite off of a chilly morning while fishing on a river or glassing on a ridge. However, I want something that is fairly thin that allows for good dexterity, again for tying a fishing knot or making fine adjustments on a scope. I have seen mention of merino liner gloves and I just wonder if these might fit the bill. The wool should still perform even when it gets a little wet, correct? They are also usually thin enough to perform detailed activities (to an obvious extent), correct? I don't want them to be too thin to where they are basically ineffective too. My other option was something like a Frog Skin type glove but I think those just provide protection from water and maybe wind but don't warm as much.

Anyway, please fire away with suggestions.

We offer 170 weight merino gloves in max-1,Xtra,ASAT, and Dry Earth. I think they work great and still keep you warm when wet. I might be slightly biased.

I have been using a cheap pair of fingerless ragg wool ones. They are great for dexterity and I have had them soaked in freezing rain and my hands have still been warm.

OP
colonel00

colonel00

WKR
We offer 170 weight merino gloves in max-1,Xtra,ASAT, and Dry Earth. I think they work great and still keep you warm when wet. I might be slightly biased.

Your bias is well understood ;)

I have been using a cheap pair of fingerless ragg wool ones. They are great for dexterity and I have had them soaked in freezing rain and my hands have still been warm.

I have never really liked fingerless gloves. The only parts of my hands that get cold are the fingers so it always seemed silly to me to have them exposed.

http://www.rokslide.com/forums/showthread.php?8547-kuiu-gloves
have received two more pair for driving my truck and harley. they are fine for that but tying a size 20 midge in the middle of a trout stream eh.......

Yeah, tying a fly is not an expected task but keeping my fingers warm enough so that I can take the gloves off real quick to tie on the fly is.

Anyway, I have definitely looked at the First Lite and KUIU gloves.

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
KUIU has a new glove system. The base glove that you can purchase stand alone is a merino glove. I absolutely love them. I bought the whole system which is really versatile, but I'll probably use just the base merino glove 95% of the time. I'm going to get a couple more of the base gloves. I've been using army surplus green "woolies" for years, but they're pretty easy to snag and a little bulky. The KUIU gloves are much thinner and have a rubberized print on them to help grip things. The knit is much tighter, so they should be more durable than the woolies and won't snag much when you're pawing through the brush.

Here's a link to them https://store.kuiu.com/products/clothing/merino_230_glove/?category_name=accessories

Coop

OP
colonel00

colonel00

WKR
Definitely looking for feedback on the KUIU gloves. I am sure they are great but I do wonder about the mix of polyester with the wool and how well that inner layer of micro-fleece will do when wet. Anybody have any experience on this?

I like Hunters Specialties Spandex camo gloves that are about $7-8. If its too cold for those I like Manzella Forester Gloves. If I am moving I have never needed more than the forsters and it was below zero a few times last year.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Coop those gloves look great. Think I'm going to wait until after the season and get a follow report of how the system performed

OP
colonel00

colonel00

WKR
So circling back on this one, I might pull the trigger on the KUIU merino gloves. Can anyone that has them comment on their sizing? I have never, ever worn medium gloves but the way their sizing chart reads, I should be right at a medium with a 7.5" length and 8" width if I am measuring correctly. Do they have any stretch at all?

OP
colonel00

colonel00

WKR
Evan, I was looking at the First LIte gloves as well. Can you comment on the fit and sizing? On their site, the sizing button just has regular clothing sizing but nothing about gloves. As I mention above, I am not questioning what size I would need based on the KUIU sizing.

I tried the First Lite on in a store and may just end up getting a pair. The sizing for me was about right. Normally I wear a L/XL glove in manzella gloves with the first lite the XL fit but had some room so I tried the L and they fit better. I think their L fits slightly bigger than other large size gloves though. They were very nice not much for grip stuff on them though, I like that but some will not so I thought I would mention it. There is a little bit of something for grip at the tips but it didn't feel real grippy to me.

worx53

WKR
I normally wear a xxl glove and the Kuiu merino xl fits fine and has some stretch and the xl Tiburon fits over it perfectly.

I have been wearing the First Lite gloves since this past spring and they have been perfect both in fit and durability. Not too warm, but enough to keep your hands from getting cold on a chilly morning/evening. I also like the little grip deals they put on the palm/finger portion, they allow you to use your touch screen phone with them on, that alone was enough of a selling point for me :) LOL

I tried on the Sitka merino gloves today as a comparison to first lite. the Sitka gloves in a size larger fit about the same as the next size down for first lite. So first lite L fits like Sitka XL. Just thought I would give some info since Sitka is a little more common in stores than First Lite. The same was true for the next size down in each.