Merino & Peloton: Using together for Base - Mid Layer Tops?

Please excuse me I know it's been discussed, but I know there are some RECENT experiences you guys can share.
I'm in the SE so our cold is damp and most hunting is stationary sits. NOT what I'm gonna need out west.
Planning a couple of late summer (Aug-Sept) fishing trips to MT next year with wife and have been applying for elk and mule deer tags with our son that is out that way hoping on future hunts.

I think I've got our legs covered with FL Corr. Foundry and Kuiu Attacks and Katana pants. Kuiu Peloton 97 for me and 145 zip offs for wife's base layers.

Next on our list is:
Upper body Base layer against skin - Merino SS or LS for drying and extended daily wear to keep stinch down? Then add a Peloton, Sitka, or other type synthetic hoody for most days?

What are you gentlemen's personal preferences makes and weights?

Thanks as always! Lot of helpful info on this site!!

Bump79

WKR
I have worn a 150 merino base and a Peloton 200 for probably 8 years now. Wear on every hunt pretty much - very versatile

t_carlson

WKR
Merino fibers soak up moisture, while synthetic fibers wick it away. I prefer synthetics, and many of them today are engineered to reduce odor.

I prefer synthetics in most situations. Merino is good for archery season.

TX_Diver

WKR
I wear a variety of base layers (kuiu 145, sitka lw or hw hoodie, kryptek, origin, etc.) but the peloton 240 is by far my favorite mid layer.

Kuiu is having a pretty good sale currently FYI.

+1 on the peloton 200

I’ve been using a short sleeve black ovis 150 merino that’s 50/50 merino/poly with a peloton 200 hoodie. Throw in a down jacket and rain jacket and you’re ready for anything.

BBob

WKR
Lightest merino base with a Peloton 97 hoody over. Those are always my first two layers with the 97 always in my pack year round. If it's colder I'll put something over those two.

prm

WKR
A baselayer and a Peleton 240 is my favorite combo. Pretty much live in it all fall and winter. Which baselayer is determined by the conditions. If I’m likely to sweat, I wear a sikweight synthetic (Patagonia). If it’s going to be quite cold I tend to lean towards an Aerowool.

edit: for context, here is my layering system. It has evolved over the years, but has not changed in at least five years. It works for me. Covers everything from early archery through very cold 3rd or 4th rifle high up in CO.
Baselayer: Patagonia Silkweight or First lite Aerowool
Mid: Peleton 240
Light insulation: Arc’teryx Atom
Heavy Insulation: Kifaru LPP
Rain jacket: some old Kuiu model

Pants: Prana Zion
Base layer: Firstlite merino wool bottoms

Two pairs of socks and underwear (wear one, pack one)

That it.

Last edited:

Mudd Foot

WKR
For CO 10,000 ft backcountry archery hunting where clothing changes aren’t packed in, my layers are: Kuiu merino hoody 1/4 zip and a Peloton 240 hoody. In the pack is Peloton 97 in case it gets warmer than what a 240 is suitable.

My puffy is a Montbell Alpine Down.

Pants are Kuiu Attacks as polyester IMO is more comfortable that nylon based pants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk