Micro Diameter Insert, Outsert, Ballistic Collar Systems .165 .166

paxamus

WKR
Yes they are. I cut the insert down to 30gr and with the SS collar at 70gr gave me 100 worth of insert. I never tried the aluminum collars just for that matter. I figured they would probably be on the weak side and bend but this setup has really been bulletproof!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How short are you cutting the SS insert down to? Do you have enough glue room? I’ve used the aluminum insert with the SS sleeve , but really want to try the SS post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bjm417

FNG
I decided that if I stuck with .204s I'd be wondering if a new setup of micros would be better. So, I worked backwards from my ideal total arrow weight and component weights, and being realistic on my expected arrow speed. Then I looked for the closest shaft to what came out. That was basically Victory VAP or Black Eagle X-Impact. I decided to order some X-Impacts from my local archery shop. We'll see how this goes.
What was your end result? Satisfied? What would you improve?

I'm going through almost the same predicament right now, my draw is a bit shorter, and my bow is an older Hoyt, so its not a speed demon of today.

OP
J

JDZ

WKR
What was your end result? Satisfied? What would you improve?

I'm going through almost the same predicament right now, my draw is a bit shorter, and my bow is an older Hoyt, so its not a speed demon of today.

Thanks for bringing this up again. My result 2 years ago was X-Impact .350, 80 gr FOCOS system, 100 gr heads, 4-fletch Fusion vanes, for 420 gr total weight with 16.4% FOC. These were the most accurate arrows I’ve ever owned. And really good in the wind. I can tune each FOCOS specific to each arrow and head to get them to spin perfectly.

Am I satisfied with that setup? Yes. I lost a little speed, but nothing to worry about. This setup is great for deer sized game at any range, in my opinion.

I have since looked to improve a couple things.
1) I tried lighted nocks, but they are just not durable on .166 arrows. I would not trust them to be successful on a hunt. I moved back to regular nocks. There were supply issues with Easton, so I’ve stuck with the Black Eagle nocks for now.
2) Although I’ve had good results with the FOCOS, they can bend, and they stink for target shooting. My newest setup uses Iron Will HIT with deep six field tips for target, and Iron Will Snyder Core for broadheads.

Now, to muddy the waters a little more, I’ve recently gotten away from my original goal, and built some heavier arrows with an upcoming moose hunt in mind. I ended up with 195 gr on the front of a X-Impact .300, nearly 30 inches long with the same fletchings. 490 gr total with 16.3% FOC. They’re slow and quiet. And seem to shoot well.

bjm417

FNG
Thanks for bringing this up again. My result 2 years ago was X-Impact .350, 80 gr FOCOS system, 100 gr heads, 4-fletch Fusion vanes, for 420 gr total weight with 16.4% FOC. These were the most accurate arrows I’ve ever owned. And really good in the wind. I can tune each FOCOS specific to each arrow and head to get them to spin perfectly.

Am I satisfied with that setup? Yes. I lost a little speed, but nothing to worry about. This setup is great for deer sized game at any range, in my opinion.

I have since looked to improve a couple things.
1) I tried lighted nocks, but they are just not durable on .166 arrows. I would not trust them to be successful on a hunt. I moved back to regular nocks. There were supply issues with Easton, so I’ve stuck with the Black Eagle nocks for now.
2) Although I’ve had good results with the FOCOS, they can bend, and they stink for target shooting. My newest setup uses Iron Will HIT with deep six field tips for target, and Iron Will Snyder Core for broadheads.

Now, to muddy the waters a little more, I’ve recently gotten away from my original goal, and built some heavier arrows with an upcoming moose hunt in mind. I ended up with 195 gr on the front of a X-Impact .300, nearly 30 inches long with the same fletchings. 490 gr total with 16.3% FOC. They’re slow and quiet. And seem to shoot well.
Alright, now we are getting to the end of the season; how did those arrows perform on an animal? (Fingers crossed for you OP)

OP
J

JDZ

WKR
Alright, now we are getting to the end of the season; how did those arrows perform on an animal? (Fingers crossed for you OP)

I sent a .300 spine X-impact through a moose with success. I had 195 gr up front. Iron Will Snyder Core S135 head with 50 gr HIT and 10 gr collar.

Zac

WKR
Your totally wasting your time and money going from a .204 to a .166. However if you want to do it there are only a few options that work well. Valkyrie, Snyder Core, and lastly the Thorn glue in option.