Micro Shaft Cost worth it?

aron

WKR
Looking at buying new arrows and see a lot of hype regarding micro diameter shafts. Are the benefits worth the larger price tag? To get an arrow I would trust, I would scrap the stock insert and also add a collar/footer. This arrow setup can get stupid expensive. Are they worth the additional cost over a slightly larger shaft for much less?

VAP TKO elite shafts: $190/dozen
Iron Will collars: $80/dozen
HIT inserts: $15

I went with the same arrow, but bought Firenock outserts instead of inserts with a collar. The big advantage I find with micro diameter is in the wind. I'm a fan of Micro Diameter shafts. I also have a set up with Easton FMJ Deep Six and just use Firenock Outserts rather than the HIT inserts. Love both set ups.

Less wind drift, more penetration
I’ve shot the Vap TKO for a few years. I shoot the 95 grain SS insert/outsert and have bent several.

Up to you whether it’s worth it.

I’m thinking of going Gold Tip Pierce Tours. Although I like the Gold Tip FACT system, I should look at the Firenock and Ethics outserts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely love my GT Kinetic Pierce platinums. Outserts add to FOC and I am getting great penetration from my 60# RealmX. For me the performance was worth the price. Your post asked about micro shafts so I thought i’d add the comment. No experience with the VAPs. Don’t forget the issue of fitting quiver if you go this route. Not all arrow keepers grip micros tightly.

I'm a dogshit archer Aron so take my input for what you paid - I have bought into the following school of thinking:
- any increased wind deflection on a .204 arrow is negligible compared to how the wind would impact my ability to make a decent shot in it.
- Seems every outsert system is prone to bending and deep 6 broadheads are prone to breaking
- Avoiding bending outserts, deep 6 broadhead options, and having a more durable broadhead/insert/shaft interface outweighs benefits in penetration and wind deflection from a micro shaft.

Last edited:
Still can't believe people think that the micro shafts offer more penetration and less wind drift.
The broadhead will cut a hole bigger than the shaft, including through bone.
What's on both ends of most shafts? Big bloody wind grabbers, unless you use a mechanical, then you have a wind grabber on one end.
The best part about the micro shafts is that they virtually introduced outserts and collars, which foots the end of the shaft and increases the structural integrity, which have also obviously been made to suit the larger shafts too

These are all vaps I made footers for with the 75 grain brass inserts and the middle is the titanium half out with a footer, not sure if I’m the only one but my micros bury to the vanes in the broadhead target at the range and my .204 RIPS get about 18 inches of penetration with the same broadhead and the .204 are 5 grains heavier. I’m no physics major but I’d say my micros penetrate more 100% of the time

EC0BFA4A-F918-47A7-9659-74C673915A86.jpeg

I’ll say no. But I need to explain.

I ran injexions for 2 years with the deep six hits. I ended up sending around 10 of those arrrows through deer. Mainly used rage hypos.

Prior to that I ran axis. Now I’m back to axis with brass and a footer and don’t see myself going anywhere.

Pros I found of micros
-less wind drift, though I think it was mostly in my head
-tough, thick wall arrow
- heavy shaft, 340s were like 10gpi. Stout shaft

Cons
-had to use deep six
- or had to use outserts, I don’t like outserts and have had nothing but problems with them in the past
- limited deep six Broadhead and weight selection
-more expensive all around
-same problem as with axis, need footers to make a really strong arrow

Now if you have your heart set on something like some of the newer systems/collars, and are set on using a deep six head, if you find one you like: then I think they are a viable option. I like to tinker, I also hated that I was stuck with certain Broadheads and weights, so I moved on

Long story short, I don’t think the little gain you get is worth it over a .204 shaft using a hit insert and a collar.

I run the Day 6s, their new component system is actually really nice but overall experience with outserts has been horrible, getting them to spin is a nightmare, keeping them spinning is tough as well, so far Day 6s Centric system has been great, will never go back to a Pierce Platinum.

To me they aren’t worth it. I don’t like messing with outserts and different size thread broadheads. They may offer slightly less wind drift and slightly better penetration. I don’t think either are anywhere near enough to justify the price and hassle.

I agree with what a couple people said above. Shaft diameter is the least cause of wind drift. The wind blowing your bow around while trying to make the shot, and fixed blade broadheads and fletchings on the arrow are the biggest issues in the wind. As far as penetration, I could see a lot better penetration with a field point on a micro shaft. But behind a Broadhead cutting a much larger hole, I don’t see it being that much of a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Micros will increase penetration in targets that use friction to stop an arrow. Friction has little to no effect when shooting animals.

If there I'd enough wind to have z negative effect on arrow flight the limiting factor in accuracy is holding your bow still.

Micros are a solution still looking for s problem.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Animals?Foam?No matter.Heavy,small diameters for me starting with the Easton 2020s nearly 50 yrs ago.No doubt about superior penetration.

i've been using the easton fmj injexion 280 the way they were engineered to be used, with their deep 6 HIT inserts. As long as I shoot foam or layered target the shaft/inserts dont bend/break. I'm ok with losing an arrow/bhead if i get a passthrough on an animal 1,2,or 3 times a year. I'm still on my first couple dozen from 5 years ago. I've lost 8 from passthroughs and 4 from back end impacts. They are slow but very accurate and heavy. I use hypodermics for deer and turkey and wasp drones for elk.

Easton Carbon Injection 330s with Firenock Outserts installed(use regular threaded 100 gr broadheads) with Bohning HotMelt glue to allow turning for perfect alignment with shaft. Also install the Easton 20 gr stainless steel D6 insert for shaft reinforcement at the critical area and a bit more FOC. Tough arrows that shoot very well from my 65# @ 29" bow. Good luck!

We've never had a problem with, "Pass thru's" on, Deer, Elk and Moose using Gold Tip, Hunter XT's with, 400+ grain arrows and over 12% FOC using, the FACT system and THEY are,.. WAY, way,.. CHEAPER ! Foam tastes like,.. krap, anyway ! In the Wind, the Bow does, the "moving", not,.. well balanced, fairly heavy Arrows ! Gold Tip Hunters, ARE,.. tough ! Newbe's, buying "New stuff",.. does keep, the Economy going, tho ! Short answer, to OP's Question of,.. "Worth the Cost" ? I'd have to say,.. NO

Last edited:
I understand that your not looking for foc and the post is about a micro diameter shaft but I recently started shooting the black eagle x-impacts with their focos system and I really like the setup. It hits hard, penetrates well, (only able to compare in a target so far) fly great, and overall seems to be a pretty solid setup. Standard threads for broadheads and if you happen to bend the collar/sleeve you can simply unscrew it from the insert and apply another instead of your arrow being toast.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Started with 2018's/2117's moved up to 2315's and then the protruded carbon Beemans with a wasp ccl which locked right over the skinny carbon shaft. That was a sweet setup. At the time lots of people hated skinny's because of the outsert.

If I am not mistaken most ferrules on micro dia broadheads are smaller in diameter so I don't know how anyone can argue that they are not more aerodynamic?

With that said, costwise are they worth it? Well if you budget is tight...heck no they are not. Half of this crap we use is not even necessary. We pay a lot extra for minimal increases in performance these days it seems.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Back