Might of made an mistake.

girlwithagun

FNG
Classified Approved
I am finally doing my dream hunt. I was in planning stages 13years ago with my husband, read LB's book, started talking to a native Alaskan family member who was going to join, but then we found out my hisband had cancer and the trip never happened and he passed on shortly after. Sooo fast forward to now...it's still my dream hunt. So I started researching and asked my son in law to be my partner which he said he would. Trying to plan it for 2024 and the DIY help I found available is not well mentioned on this forum so I'm worried I may have already committed and it may be a mistake. (Kent Kaiser/Kavik Av, hunt dates are booked). Any suggestions on how to mitigate the issues experienced by some of the people who have been there done that would be hugely appreciated.

I assume you have sent a deposit? If not then you don’t have anything at risk.

If you have, 2024 is still a ways off. I would contact him immediately and politely and say there has been a change of plans and ask if there’s anyway he could return deposit.

OP
girlwithagun

girlwithagun

FNG
Classified Approved
I assume you have sent a deposit? If not then you don’t have anything at risk.

If you have, 2024 is still a ways off. I would contact him immediately and politely and say there has been a change of plans and ask if there’s anyway he could return deposit.
I did pay the deposit to secure the dates for the plane and raft and its nonrefundable. I think that I read some posts that mentioned some negs and got curious as to make the best if that happens to us...but then I also realized that I was only hearing a situation. I used to guide and I know you can't make everyone happy and out of the 25 that are you hear most about the one that isn't. The planner seems sincere and up front I haven't actually spoke to the pilot yet.

If I had apprehension now, my first step to “mitigate” would be to request refund ASAP and move on, but everybody is different. For me when the first thing went wrong (and it will), I’d be frustrated with myself for not having at least tried to get out of it.

If you can’t, then I guess roll with it and make the most of it. I imagine the boots on eve ground (and air) will have more to do with the smoothness of the trip than what really amounts to a broker. Getting in touch with the crew in the field would be my next step and / or researching them. Make sure they know your expectations (keep them reasonable), stay in touch (within reason), share with them some of your experience (such as guiding) so that they can get to know you / understand that you won’t be easily duped / etc. i feel like if you can establish somewhat of S relationship ahead of time, the odds of you being the costumer who gets short end of a stick are diminished.

EDIT: I seriously doubt be has paid pilot already. Be willing to bet a refund is still well within his control.

OP
girlwithagun

girlwithagun

FNG
Classified Approved
If I had apprehension now, my first step to “mitigate” would be to request refund ASAP and move on, but everybody is different. For me when the first thing went wrong (and it will), I’d be frustrated with myself for not having at least tried to get out of it.

If you can’t, then I guess roll with it and make the most of it. I imagine the boots on eve ground (and air) will have more to do with the smoothness of the trip than what really amounts to a broker. Getting in touch with the crew in the field would be my next step and / or researching them. Make sure they know your expectations (keep them reasonable), stay in touch (within reason), share with them some of your experience (such as guiding) so that they can get to know you / understand that you won’t be easily duped / etc. i feel like if you can establish somewhat of S relationship ahead of time, the odds of you being the costumer who gets short end of a stick are diminished.

EDIT: I seriously doubt be has paid pilot already. Be willing to bet a refund is still well within his control.

By mitigate I really meant, having plan B ready. I really want to call the transporter and talk to him but I am apprehensive only because it is so far out yet...I think you're right though and I should call now and establish the relationship...thanks for that advise.

Not related to this thread but I respect your knowledge and experience, so can I get your 2cents about 30.06 with 180gr ammo vs 300 WM for moose. I have an .06 LH but would have to go buy a 300 LH which I'm not opposed to doing but why if .06 is sufficient. Any thoughts you care to share are greatly appreciated.

Living in the Interior for the past 5.5 years I've taken 2 moose, 1 with a bow and 1 with a .30-06 at 200 yards. Shot once, spun 180 degrees and stood there. Shot second time and dropped. It was a cow hunt so no trophy but brought home a ton of top shelf grade a dinners.
Magnums are not required at all for Alaska despite what many people say. My one and done hunting rifle now is a 280AI. I'll use it on everything except Coastal Brown Bears. Its got plenty of power.

Those 180 .30-06 would be great. Guys here take moose with .243s (wouldn't recommend but its done), 270s, 7mm-08, 308, and everything else.

Pick the rifle you are the most comfortable with, preferably out to 300 yards and that is the one I would take.

*edited: changed living in Alaska to Living in the Interior for the past 5.5 years.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'd write a short letter explaining your situation and specifically request a refund. IMO, if you get one great, if not consider it a painful financial lesson that won't matter WHEN you have a successful hunt. If you stick with the plan because of the deposit being non-refundable and then have a bad experience, your whole situation becomes even more depressing. Walk away now while you still have a future hunt to believe in 100%.

Contact me privately and lets chat about your situation.

lb

AKBorn

WKR
By mitigate I really meant, having plan B ready. I really want to call the transporter and talk to him but I am apprehensive only because it is so far out yet...I think you're right though and I should call now and establish the relationship...thanks for that advise.

Not related to this thread but I respect your knowledge and experience, so can I get your 2cents about 30.06 with 180gr ammo vs 300 WM for moose. I have an .06 LH but would have to go buy a 300 LH which I'm not opposed to doing but why if .06 is sufficient. Any thoughts you care to share are greatly appreciated.
Don't buy a new rifle just for a moose hunt, the 06 has killed tons of Alaskan moose and with 180 grain (or even 168 grain) would be potent moose medicine. Moose aren't real hard to kill, it just takes them a couple minutes to realize they're dead before they fall.

Whip

WKR
I guess I'm not understanding something. Is your apprehension simply about being DIY and not knowing what might go wrong and how you might deal with it? Or is it apprehension about the transporter you signed up with?

If the former, yes, things will likely go wrong and you'll need to adapt as they arise. It's part of the deal in DIY hunts and to me part of the challenge. You've got a lot of time to plan, research and study to be ready for whatever is thrown at you.

If the transporter is your major concern that is a different story. That puts the things that can go wrong in someone else's hands and might be a valid reason to pull out. You need to have trust that they are going to be able to hold up their end of the deal.

OP
girlwithagun

girlwithagun

FNG
Classified Approved
I guess I'm not understanding something. Is your apprehension simply about being DIY and not knowing what might go wrong and how you might deal with it? Or is it apprehension about the transporter you signed up with?

If the former, yes, things will likely go wrong and you'll need to adapt as they arise. It's part of the deal in DIY hunts and to me part of the challenge. You've got a lot of time to plan, research and study to be ready for whatever is thrown at you.

If the transporter is your major concern that is a different story. That puts the things that can go wrong in someone else's hands and might be a valid reason to pull out. You need to have trust that they are going to be able to hold up their end of the deal.
I'm totally okay with the whole DIY aspect of the hunt, I've hunt my entire life, guided NTX hunts for several years and never been on a guided hunt myself...it's purely the trust issue...being led to believe a thing to find out once your money's gone it's another thing altogether. I don't operate like and expect the same I guess. The folks here are awesome and have given me great info...just wish I had found this site while I was doing my Google searches. Lol

One of my moose was with a 30-06 and the other with 300 prc … results were similar both around 300 yards with neither dropping right away and me unloading my magazine into them and them dying shortly after . I shoot all copper 180 grains and will put it on the shoulder next time first shot, but would not hesitate to take a 30-06 moose hunting again

I'm totally okay with the whole DIY aspect of the hunt, I've hunt my entire life, guided NTX hunts for several years and never been on a guided hunt myself...it's purely the trust issue...being led to believe a thing to find out once your money's gone it's another thing altogether. I don't operate like and expect the same I guess. The folks here are awesome and have given me great info...just wish I had found this site while I was doing my Google searches. Lol
Again, ask the deposit recipient for your money back and take it from there.

Good chance you get it back and this becomes a non issue.

If you are as experienced as you make yourself out to be, the last thing he wants is someone like yourself irritated. No need to threaten him, but if need be, tactfully make sure he knots you weren’t born yesterday. Again, good chance it won’t even come to that.

Sooner the better.

OP
girlwithagun

girlwithagun

FNG
Classified Approved

If you are as experienced as you make yourself out to be, the last thing he wants is someone like yourself irritated. No need to threaten him, but if need be, tactfully make sure he knots you weren’t born yesterday. Again, good chance it won’t even come to that.

Sooner the better.
Good advice and much appreciated. As far as experience, I have zero experience doing this kind of hunt, but I have pretty decent outdoor, backcountry, and hunting skills and good health and a passion for it. Now I hope to get to have the experience. It's just this issue of only finding bad reviews for the past 2 years on the pilot that's got me super concerned. I grew up with a dad that took me hunting/fishing everywhere in the woods of BC, ID, WA & MT (he had 2 girls lol, so he pretty much treated me like the boy he wanted). Later my husband and I operated a lodge in N. TX and Wyoming for 15yrs, guided and unguided.

Sooner the better.
I agree, thanks for responding, got things in the works. As far as experience I have zero experience doing this kind of hunt. I have pretty decent outdoor, backcountry and hunting skills, good health and a passion for it...I'm hoping to get the experience now. My dad started dragging me around the woods of BC, ID, WA, & MT as a baby (he had 2 girls so he kinda treated me like the boy he didn't have, lol) and my husband and I had a lodge in the TX panhandle guided and unguided hunts in N. TX and WY for about 12 yrs. What's got me totally nervous is that the only reviews I can find on the pilot are not good, I wasn't told by the planner who/where the pilot/hunt area would be until after I paid a chunk of change. I'm okay not necessarily knowing the hunt area for the obvious reason no one wants to reveal any of those tidbits because, quote, "It's a special location I've scouted that no one goes, you have to pay for that knowledge." but then when I did and find it's not a "special" place, we will have lots of other hunters there, I know going doesn't mean getting on any hunt...may or may not get a refund but all answers are no if you don't ask and I'm super allergic to drama so I don't stir the drama pot. 😊

S-3 ranch

WKR
Good advice and much appreciated. As far as experience, I have zero experience doing this kind of hunt, but I have pretty decent outdoor, backcountry, and hunting skills and good health and a passion for it. Now I hope to get to have the experience. It's just this issue of only finding bad reviews for the past 2 years on the pilot that's got me super concerned. I grew up with a dad that took me hunting/fishing everywhere in the woods of BC, ID, WA & MT (he had 2 girls lol, so he pretty much treated me like the boy he wanted). Later my husband and I operated a lodge in N. TX and Wyoming for 15yrs, guided and unguided.

I agree, thanks for responding, got things in the works. As far as experience I have zero experience doing this kind of hunt. I have pretty decent outdoor, backcountry and hunting skills, good health and a passion for it...I'm hoping to get the experience now. My dad started dragging me around the woods of BC, ID, WA, & MT as a baby (he had 2 girls so he kinda treated me like the boy he didn't have, lol) and my husband and I had a lodge in the TX panhandle guided and unguided hunts in N. TX and WY for about 12 yrs. What's got me totally nervous is that the only reviews I can find on the pilot are not good, I wasn't told by the planner who/where the pilot/hunt area would be until after I paid a chunk of change. I'm okay not necessarily knowing the hunt area for the obvious reason no one wants to reveal any of those tidbits because, quote, "It's a special location I've scouted that no one goes, you have to pay for that knowledge." but then when I did and find it's not a "special" place, we will have lots of other hunters there, I know going doesn't mean getting on any hunt...may or may not get a refund but all answers are no if you don't ask and I'm super allergic to drama so I don't stir the drama pot. 😊
Me and my uncle got a wild hair up our 🫢 and booked a DIY moose & caribou hunt not knowing anything about our air charter, who basically just flew us around air scouting, we did find some nice moose, but had a local guy fly in to the same lake , but in a better place to camp and walk, stuff happens! The air charter can’t control outside factors, and when we moved to the caribou grounds , he more than made up for the locals messing up the moose hunting
and reading internet reviews IMO is worthless, people make stuff seem like it’s the end of the world on the net , reading restaurant reviews most 1 star reviews are terrible portrayal of reality.
if I wrote a review about the moose hunt with out talks about how the entire hunt it would look terrible .
It’s a hunt/ adventure to be done and make the best of, no ??

OP
girlwithagun

girlwithagun

FNG
Classified Approved

Sooner

Me and my uncle got a wild hair up our 🫢 and booked a DIY moose & caribou hunt not knowing anything about our air charter, who basically just flew us around air scouting, we did find some nice moose, but had a local guy fly in to the same lake , but in a better place to camp and walk, stuff happens! The air charter can’t control outside factors, and when we moved to the caribou grounds , he more than made up for the locals messing up the moose hunting
and reading internet reviews IMO is worthless, people make stuff seem like it’s the end of the world on the net , reading restaurant reviews most 1 star reviews are terrible portrayal of reality.
if I wrote a review about the moose hunt with out talks about how the entire hunt it would look terrible .
It’s a hunt/ adventure to be done and make the best of, no?
It is for sure! Sometimes the most scenic roads in life are on the detours you didn't plan to take.

WKR
I did an unsuccessful DIY moose hunt in Alaska. Pretty much a 11 day camping trip seeing cow moose and grizzlies. Some dall sheep on a far off mountain. Was a great time and I still cherish the memories. I'd only suggest you limit the distance you hunt from the pickup location to not get in over your head on meat retrieval.

As far as signing up for a hunting service that clearly says "nonrefundable deposit". I'd take that to mean its nonrefundable. And when the outfit says its nonrefundable when you ask for a refund, it'd be out of line to be unhappy about that. This isn't shopping at Walmart or Amazon. That isn't directed at the OP, just an overall observation about buying things that are nonrefundable and advertised as such.

I did an unsuccessful DIY moose hunt in Alaska. Pretty much a 11 day camping trip seeing cow moose and grizzlies. Some dall sheep on a far off mountain. Was a great time and I still cherish the memories. I'd only suggest you limit the distance you hunt from the pickup location to not get in over your head on meat retrieval.

As far as signing up for a hunting service that clearly says "nonrefundable deposit". I'd take that to mean its nonrefundable. And when the outfit says its nonrefundable when you ask for a refund, it'd be out of line to be unhappy about that. This isn't shopping at Walmart or Amazon. That isn't directed at the OP, just an overall observation about buying things that are nonrefundable and advertised as such.
Agreed 100%, but can’t hurt to ask, and the sooner she does, the better the odds.

keller

WKR
I have a co-worker used that service a few years ago and had a good experience with moose.went back for caribou and had a good experience. IMO Alot of circumstances and expectations can make for two totally different experiences.

I think because its alaska people go into hunts expecting or having in their head that they have a 95% chance of shooting an animal and if that doesnt happen the trip is ruined in their eyes. Maybe they didnt hunt hard enough or did things wrong in the field and they dont want to put blame on them selves so they blame other people who were involved with then hunt (its not my fault its the pilots because they put is in a bad spot) What a great spot was yesterday might not be a good spot today or tomorrow. A shit spot yesterday might turn into an area filled with animals the next day. When people have a bad review you only hear one side of the story and most of the time you dont know anything about the reviewer either. Maybe they had expectations of setting up camp and having a 70" moose walk up to the meat pole and hang them self on it. Outfitters/guides/pilots sell experiences not animals. Sometimes shit happens on hunts and theres not much a person can do about it. The best thing you can do is be flexible and give it your best shot. We did our first transporter/float plane hunt this year. As we were stuck for a day going out due to weather i had lots of time to think of all the crap that could go wrong, and i came to the realization that you just have to be flexible. Doesnt matter how much escouting you do before your hunt, if the plane cant land there you aint going there. Sorry for the rant

seems like LB is going to give you some intel, you will be in good hands.