Military service late in life

Mt Al

WKR
I'm a great team leader, handle stress well,

Understood you made your choice and, as someone with zero minutes of prior service, think you did the right thing.

Lots of ways to serve as in previous posts. But what's the end game of the serving? I struggle with this.

If Serving is, generally, helping our country and citizens be safe, maintain freedom and help people be their 'best' - whatever that means, sounds like you're already doing it as a team lead and in wherever that leads you later in your career.

This world is desperate for good leadership, which really is serving. Imagine the follow-on impacts of your team leadership on the people who report to you. Just coming home from a job knowing your boss has your back and gives a crap makes people better parents, spouses, neighbors. Compare that to your staff coming home every night pissed off that you suck and don't give a crap. Leads to booze, anger, fights, exhaustion, etc. Sounds like you're already making this country safer, better in your role.

If you want to bring those skills to the Dept. of Defense outside of wearing a uniform, they are absolutely desperate for good leaders, critical thinkers, team leads - and the impact you make on national security is huge.

if you're near Hill AFB, I can tell you their mission is critical and they need good leaders. Challenge as always is navigating the human terrain to make sure your gifts/skills are recognized vs. resented. Tons of idiots in a broken culture is the challenge, it's a different type of battle (as if I know diddly about battle...)

SWOHTR

WKR
Other thoughts, I'd like to point out that there is more to military service than the SPECWAR/OPS jobs that garner a lot of attention.

Things that come to mind:
-Ship repair: either DoD Civilian, Gov't Civilian, Defense Ktr. Anywhere there's water, for the most part.
-Admin support. Basically, pick your location.
-Operations support/scheduling: Navy has this in a lot of concentration areas (SOCAL, PNW, Norfolk, HI...)

Etc. Point being, there are tons of ways to serve the military out of uniform. Look on USAJOBS for a massive list.

Other ideas also include volunteering - SAR, firefighting come to mind.

Mojave

WKR
I served for 20 active, and 10 as a civil servant.

Unless you are an engineer, nurse, doctor, or something exotic you will not get a DOD civil service job without a DD214.

Why would we hire you when we have thousands of veterans screaming at the door.

Natural Resources Management Agencies like Corps of Engineers, US Forest, BLM, Park Service and so on are more lenient, but this is really only for engineers or wildlife biologist that went to a state school.

We do have some low-level jobs in security that we take pretty much anyone. If you have prior law enforcement experience and you want to be a DOD cop, we are pretty open to that. Especially in remote areas.

There are a lot of DOD firefighters that are not ex-mils. But you are ******* old for that.

I serve on about 15-20 hiring panels a year as a senior GS. I throw the majority of resumes in the trash I see. You don't speak our language, and like I said I have pools of thousands of prior service to choose from.

Not telling you, not to do it. I think if you can get a waiver and come in you should serve. But if I was the commander of a recruiting district, I wouldn't give you anything quality job wise. Knowing that the odds are high you will be a medical fail in basic. This cost against the district and hurts us.

I would let you do the undesignated seaman, or grunt thing.

You have to be honest with yourself, you aren't coming in as a mid-tier officer or NCO. So your age means you are a liability.

Mojave

WKR
Feel free to send a PM for a more detailed response. Or more information on the military or civil service.

Not sure what you are after.

SWOHTR

WKR
Would you want a 37 year old thst knows ****-all about our beloved Navy as a ensign or E1
No, but that doesn’t stop some of our wonderful direct commissioning from happening! Granted they tend to be docs…still. Always interesting to see an O3+ walking around w/o a warfare device.

Mojave

WKR
No, but that doesn’t stop some of our wonderful direct commissioning from happening! Granted they tend to be docs…still. Always interesting to see an O3+ walking around w/o a warfare device.
Dude,

We had a O5 Doc that had been a plastic surgeon get commissioned at the O5 level.

He was in his 40's.

He did my colonoscopy, my neighbor's (she was an O-3) boobies, and most of the surgery's that happened on Sigonella when I was there.

He was not alone; I met another one on a NAS Lemoore MWR white water rafting trip. Similar situation, but I think he was an orthodontist.

OXN939

WKR
Yes :) there is a reason that they don't allow anyone your age into the SF selection process.

They don't send you back, you don't get to retread anymore.

Yeah age waivers in SOF generally go to like 30 max.

To clarify, there are a lot of 24 year old olympians who don't complete selection programs. Just a bit comical to see dudes with no experience who are "absolutely certain" of anything in that context

Mojave

WKR
30 year olds in basic we’re having a hard time. This was 1993 Orlando soft coed Navy basic. Not Chicago pre coed hard basic. In ASchool with Marines and pre-dive/SEAL cadidates old guys were sucking. One of my 24 year old roommates ended up in Navy EOD ( which is part of Navy SF) a few years later. He told me he should have went after basic but he made it. Because of my job I had a alot of SEAL and diver school dropouts work for me. They were in their 20s, 27 tops.

OXN939

WKR
Navy EOD ( which is part of Navy SF)

EOD is a great community with a lot of awesome dudes. They are not a part of Naval Special Warfare, though. The only rates there are SEAL (SO) and SWCC (SB)

Olympics777

Lil-Rokslider
I joined the guard at 21. I wanted to go active duty but I love Idaho and didn’t wanna leave. I did my 6 years and etsd so I wouldn’t have to get the Covid vax. Now I’m trying to get back in. Like some other guys have said, nothing scratches the itch on the civilian side. You will get to do things that you can’t really replicate as a civi. I’d say do it.

4cMuley

Lil-Rokslider
I am similar in age and often regret not joining when I was younger. Couldn’t imagine joining now, especially in todays military where it seems like a fair number fail up into leadership roles. (I have the utmost respect for those that serve, I have many friends and family that have and are currently serving. I am speaking more to the bureaucratic machine)

Mojave

WKR
EOD is a great community with a lot of awesome dudes. They are not a part of Naval Special Warfare, though. The only rates there are SEAL (SO) and SWCC (SB)
You are mistaken.

They have been part of Naval Special Operations since the beginning of time.

prm

WKR
There is some good discussion and solid advice already given. I think if you went to the local fire department or police you would do more meaningful stuff with a fraction of the BS. The military can be like an ant hill, and you would be one of the many working ants. I did 20 years, 12 active, 8 reserves. Someone above made the astute comment that you have too much life experience to put up with the nonsense. Trust me, you’ll be second guessing a decision to become a pawn in the machine.

NEPrepper

FNG
when i went through boot camp there were 28 year olds. it was always weird since the rest of us were 17-22. can't imagine anyone older going through and then being treated like a private by guys so much younger thanyou