Military Spec 'woobie' wet poncho

bozeman

WKR
Looking for some feedback on a mil spec 'woobie' compared to other 'custom' woobies. Wanting something I can carry with me, light weight for use in hunting, hiking and traveling. Other woobies upwards of $150+, mil spec below $50....thoughts?

thanks.

I have a lot of nights in a mill spec version and a few dozen in a kifaru woobie.

I tend to think of poncho liners as a bit different than a sleeping bag. More versatile as a wrap or for lounging in camp or elsewhere. Great for sleeping indoors on couches and random places with no bedding like truck beds, c130s and floors of staging areas while big green makes you hurry up and wait. Great for around the cabin or in the truck. Great for glassing and static hunts.

As a serious piece of lightweight backpacking gear they stumble a bit. Mil spec is 1.5 pounds and a woobie is 2. You can carry something much warmer at that weight but you give up some of the function.

I love my woobie. If $150 wasn’t in my budget I would feel fine with the mil spec for $50.

OP
bozeman

bozeman

WKR
this would be to 'add' to a sleeping bag while hunting, use in hiking to tame the chill when taking a break.....etc.....more like a backup, nothing primary hence my question on the expense.

RockWest

FNG
As a serious piece of lightweight backpacking gear they stumble a bit. Mil spec is 1.5 pounds and a woobie is 2. You can carry something much warmer at that weight but you give up some of the function.

I have the Kifaru and two Milspec ones and have spent countless nights under them inside and out.

I second everything Desk Jockey says. He outlines their strengths and weakness well.
It's a really great piece of kit, until your counting ounces. It's warmth to weight ratio is quite poor but they can still have there place. They are one of my go to 'comfort' pieces on the trips were I'm ok carrying a bit of extra weight.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I have both a milspec woobie and one of the Kifaru woobie. My milspec has been modified and I added a camo fleece blanket to it. It’s a bit heavier but definitely warmer. I use it mostly during winter camping trips.

this would be to 'add' to a sleeping bag while hunting, use in hiking to tame the chill when taking a break.....etc.....more like a backup, nothing primary hence my question on the expense.

If you are not worried about weight buy the mil spec. You will be surprised how often you find a use for it.

MTguy0341

Lil-Rokslider
Loved the milspec one, but for what's out there it won't find its way into my pack. Archery season roughing it sure, but anything somewhat cold I'd rather just use a bag. Around base camp they would be awesome though.