Minimalist carry of tripod

fwafwow

WKR
How do you carry your tripod? I expect many strap to a pack, but on some local spot and stalks, I may not need a pack. I seem to remember a member recently saying he carries his Javelin in a Red Kettle (maybe on a bino harness?), and longer bipod or tripod without a pack. Does anyone use a tripod strap? Just a bag for the tripod? I could carry the tripod in hand for quick shots, but that may get tiring.

I’m sure I’m overthinking this.

Strapped to the pack and if I drop the pack for a stalk but still want it, or if I'm not carrying a pack because its a short hike to a glassing knob, I carry it in my hands. A strap would be more work than necessary IMO.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Either on the back of pack or side depending on what bag I’m using. Tripod isn’t something I really equate with much quicker access. I’ve got to take my pack off to get to it.

Mark at EXO

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Haven't been in situations where I am carrying just the tripod for any distance. I drop the tripod feet in the lower stretch pocket of our pack, the upper secured with a single compression strap. Disconnect one quick-release buckle and you're ready to deploy...

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Get a strap and throw it over your shoulder.

Better question, why bring a tripod for spot and stalk? Glassing from it? Shooting from it?

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
put the tripod to standing shooting height.
clip the gun in.
pick it up and fold the legs in and put the gun over your shoulder and walk around.
Its not ideal but it works fine for a couple hundred yards walk. Serves as a monopod in fast shooting sub 100 and as a tripod for farther.

Get a strap and throw it over your shoulder.

Better question, why bring a tripod for spot and stalk? Glassing from it? Shooting from it?
A good tripod would be heavily involved in both of those. To the OP, I'm considering getting a tripod strap for these "just in case" sort of scenarios.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
A good tripod would be heavily involved in both of those. To the OP, I'm considering getting a tripod strap for these "just in case" sort of scenarios.
If wanting to sit and glass, I would say add a day pack and put the tripod in it.

If for shooting, I would say leave the tripod and shoot off trekking poles. I would find an nearly empty pack and trekking poles more useful in my hunting than a tripod. So, my inclination is, why bother adding additional gear and complications.

Of course, there is not a right and wrong, just preferences in this case.

If wanting to sit and glass, I would say add a day pack and put the tripod in it.

If for shooting, I would say leave the tripod and shoot off trekking poles. I would find an nearly empty pack and trekking poles more useful in my hunting than a tripod. So, my inclination is, why bother adding additional gear and complications.

Of course, there is not a right and wrong, just preferences in this case.
I think it comes down to the quality of the tripod. A good shooting tripod will be more stable than trekking poles/pack but it also weighs more. A light tripod may not be as good though depending on just how light it is.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I think it comes down to the quality of the tripod. A good shooting tripod will be more stable than trekking poles/pack but it also weighs more. A light tripod may not be as good though depending on just how light it is.
Well, I'm not saying a tripod is not more stable. A very light tripod is more stable than trekking poles.

I'm saying I don't find it to be worth while to carry a tripod only for shooting. I'm assuming, perhaps wrongly, from his question he will be moving, and not setting up in one spot.

Nothing wrong with using the tripod, I just think @fwafwow may be doing something both of us do too much of, which is chase the gear Good Idea Fairy.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Thanks everyone. So far my progress with the Good Idea Fairy has been mixed.

I purchased the Spartan Sentinel in the longer variation. I took it with me this weekend for a “spot and stalk” effort. But I failed. The SC mosquitoes were insane, so I left it in the car and stuck to the stand.

My spot and stalk goals/intentions are low, for east coast hunting, so even I - addicted to gear - can’t justify a pack in most instances, and the terrain doesn’t justify trekking poles. I’m hoping for colder weather soon and back in GA for at least some elevation and more hardwoods.

@Marbles - those MKC knife drops go pretty quickly!

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
That they do. I prefer that to the 2 year back order for a CRK, or the alleged 3 month back order of Survive knives that turns out to be never sometimes.
I got the email and had no idea. I’m sort of glad they sold out. I don’t want a repeat of some of my prior “knife drop” addictions. But I probably would have bought one in orange.

So yes, I did sign up for text alerts… 🤦‍♂️

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I got the email and had no idea. I’m sort of glad they sold out. I don’t want a repeat of some of my prior “knife drop” addictions. But I probably would have bought one in orange.

So yes, I did sign up for text alerts… 🤦‍♂️
They give a 24 hr warning, I set an alarm on my phone for a few minutes prior, still did not get the color I wanted.

Ajsomp

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Are you western back pack hunting? Spot and stalk for antelope? Coyote hunting on the east coast?

When trekking in the back country it’s strapped to my pack opposite side my rifle. I also typically set the height for kneeling shots. If I ditch the pack I’m carrying it by hand- most of the tripod straps I’ve tried just get in the way. If I’m walking flat or even terrain I’m setting it up for standing, attaching the rifle, and then slinging it over my shoulder which makes for an easy standing quick shot if needed. I don’t recommend climbing up and down elevation in that configuration but that’s just me.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Are you western back pack hunting? Spot and stalk for antelope? Coyote hunting on the east coast?

When trekking in the back country it’s strapped to my pack opposite side my rifle. I also typically set the height for kneeling shots. If I ditch the pack I’m carrying it by hand- most of the tripod straps I’ve tried just get in the way. If I’m walking flat or even terrain I’m setting it up for standing, attaching the rifle, and then slinging it over my shoulder which makes for an easy standing quick shot if needed. I don’t recommend climbing up and down elevation in that configuration but that’s just me.
Eastern whitetail. And I think @Reburn gave me a really good simple approach. Thanks!

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

I think reburn gave you the most common way to go. It’s pretty much what I do.

That is what I will do with both my bino and rifle, lock it down on the tripod and sling it over my shoulder.

You can buy QD cups to put on your tripod apex and one around a foot. I played with it and used my sling to carry my tripod.

I just don’t have occasion to run it like that, I always have some sort of a pack that it is strapped to with my rifle.

My tripod only has two leg sections so it is at kneeling/sitting height right off the pack.

Sounds stupid but you could just loosen your belt and tuck one leg in before you tighten. Depends on size of tripod.

I just carried the tripod with the rifle attached at standing height for my son. Worked ok.