Missing the Season opener- huge mistake?

I was fortunate to draw an Idaho goat tag. Only 50 tags in this unit. I have a scheduling conflict I may not be able to fix.

I've never taken a nice Lope before. Seen many. Guided other to nice goats in other states. But none for myself. I am very excited about this opportunity.

My negative side is for sure kicking rocks thinking all the nice bucks will be tipped on Day 1. Unit if probably 90% public.

Thoughts on missing the first week? Idaho is an early hunt. Sept 25-Oct 24ish

CobraChicken

Lil-Rokslider
I live in goat country here in wyo. The two 80 plus bucks my wife and I shot were weeks into the season.

Granted you had to put some serious effort in (5 mile round trip) to get on them eliminating a majority oh road hunters. Unit is mostly public as well.

Wyo is different country than Idaho though, so take it with a grain of salt.

Congrats on the tag! Wyo draw was awful this year, I missed out on a goat first time in years. How did wildlife fare in Idaho this winter?

Missing the opener in WY this year on purpose. Heading up the week after and hoping for a much more enjoyable hunt with less people around.

JFK

WKR
Two years ago we went a week after the opener in Wyo. Had not scouted so had no frame of reference for what we missed out on. Chose not to care if any bigger bucks had been shot opening week, and had a great time finding respectable sized goats. I think we saw like three other hunters in the unit the whole time we were there.

Laramie

WKR
You will hear from a lot of hunters that it doesn't matter. In some ways they are correct but there is no denying that most areas have the top bucks picked over in the first couple of days. Your absolute best chance to kill the biggest buck in any given area is to do it opening morning. I recommend scouting for 2+ days leading up to the hunt. Find the buck you want and be sitting on him at first light.

If killing the best buck possible is your top priority, figure out a way to be there in time to scout and then hunt opening morning. That said, hunting antelope this way does take a bit of the enjoyment out of the hunt. Being able to comb over dozens of bucks, with a rifle in your hand. until you find one that you like is fun. Especially when most of the other hunters have already filled their permits.

OP
J
I've been through this unit a few times. Just on pavement. It's for sure NOT Wyoming. It's not filthy with goats. Much much different. Just little pockets of 5-6 animals.

They only buck tag I drew was kinda central Montana a few years ago. Lots of private and lots of checkerboard landlocked State.

I was there a day early. Scouted all day. Found a decent buck I would have taken that evening. Was up early. Took my wife along. Got to the area the buck was in. Sun came up as I put glass together. As soon as I got the spotter on him I saw him roll over. Then heard the shot. Guy and his gal were up WAY earlier and hiked in around the backside.

I niavely assumed that nobody put in that much work and was that serious for goats. I was wrong. As I've said.....I've really wanted a nice goat my whole life. I will not make those same errors. I'll be on foot at 0200 with headlamp if need be.

This will be the first year we will hunt the opening week in Wyoming, saying that the first year we hunted was the last week in the season and put two nice goats on the ground. looks like this is going to be a tough year but not discouraged looking forward to the hunt. Like you said yours is an Idaho hunt, you may be late getting in to hunt but enjoy the hunt, for me the hunt is the part I look forward to the most. They the other hunters never kill them all.

Kurts86

WKR
I’ve done both ways but I prefer to hunt the opener after a couple scouting days to find the best possible bucks in the unit.

Later in the season is manageable but the antelope are spooky and you have to cover a lot more ground for every buck to evaluate.

The big buck potential goes down a little but honestly they tend to hang out in secluded pockets that don’t get the road hunting pressure. Opening morning wipes out the 12-13” buck that hangout next to the road.

Rackmastr

WKR
Wife drew a pretty premium Wyoming tag last year. We hunted it a couple weeks into the season. Passed up a really solid buck on day 1 in the first few hours right off a main road. Ended up shooting a great buck a couple hundred yards off a main road in a very popular part of the zone.
I'd never hunt opener unless I had a really solid idea of what was there and a game plan to be on a certain animal first thing. Wouldnt be worried about it at all

OP
J
Spoke to my boss. I can hunt the first two days. Which will sate my mind. I can scout before season and will be down and scouting 2 days prior to Opener. If I don't tag out, I am only 7 hours away. I can make a run or two after the Opener.

Having taken things for granted in the past, I will be doing a Full Court Press on this tag.

jjwise97

FNG
Got my first antelope tag this year and in a similar situation, I’ll be getting out there about a week after the opener. Most people I’ve talked to who have personal experience say that they doubt it’ll be an issue as I have 5 days to hunt.

Rich M

WKR
I dont know how you guys plan your vacations / hunts. Nothing personal, i wouldnt apply if i wasnt sure i could be there 2 or 3 days early and hunt the first week.

See this a lot and wonder. That’s all.

Edit - I see you said you could be there 2 days early and hunt 2 days. You'll get your antelope. With a 7 hr drive, you can probably go a weekend or two before hand and be even more prepared.

Good luck!

Last edited:

freddyG

WKR
Spoke to my boss. I can hunt the first two days. Which will sate my mind. I can scout before season and will be down and scouting 2 days prior to Opener. If I don't tag out, I am only 7 hours away. I can make a run or two after the Opener.

Having taken things for granted in the past, I will be doing a Full Court Press on this tag.
I have drawn an Idaho unit 3 times(probaby the same unit you drew), and shot my best goat on day 1. Only way to do it. It’s no fun sorting through leftovers.

Jimss

WKR
If you want the best chance for killing the biggest, baddest buck available in the unit go early to scout and hunt a buck you’ve named on the opening. If that doesn’t work return later in the season.

Every unit and year may be different. I know units in Wyo that may be loaded with antelope in July but in a dry year if water dries up have hardly any antelope. I also know units that may be loaded with antelope in Sept but once there is snow may have 0.

If you think about what I just said, those antelope have to go somewhere? One unit I’ve hunted a lot has good antelope in July, lots of water even in drought years, and additional antelope migrate into the unit after it snows.

It really pays to know the past history about weather, winterkill, disease, drought, water, snow, quality of bucks, etc. in any particular unit. and in any given year. Even though you may have a tag in your pocket for the best trophy unit in Idaho or Wyoming you may have the tag in an off year.

I guess that’s where it’s good to scout early so you have the biggest, baddest bucks named and you know the potential bucks available the year you have a tag.

I’m also amazed at how many guys I know pannick when they draw high demand tags and shoot the first decent buck available. Most have no clue how to field judge bucks. Have you heard of ground shrinkage? The more time you spend looking at every buck you can find in your unit the better chance you’ll have of determining the potential and biggest, baddest buck available in any given year.

if you truly want to take full advantage of your tag work extra hours at your job and figure out ways of devoting more time to your hunt.