Missouri - Kansas City Area

wilkINkc

Lil-Rokslider
I live on the south side of Kansas City and would like to find people to shoot with and hunt with. I currently only have access to public land but would be interested in going in on a lease with someone/group as well. I am fine sticking to public though.

Last edited:
Has Slaps achieved non-KC notoriety? Was just discussing the other day with my wife how it has gotten popular as kinda a hole in the wall with really really good BBQ. The owner himself (at least used to) works the line pretty often. All this as we were lamenting another Jack Stack going in close to us.

OP
W

wilkINkc

Lil-Rokslider
I mean jack stack is good, but I’ve had it so many times I prefer other bbq joints I haven’t been to as much these days, to be honest.

Btaylor

WKR
Has Slaps achieved non-KC notoriety? Was just discussing the other day with my wife how it has gotten popular as kinda a hole in the wall with really really good BBQ. The owner himself (at least used to) works the line pretty often. All this as we were lamenting another Jack Stack going in close to us.
Last year when we were up there, we saw plates from like 8 states. That rub is bomb on some smoked sausage fresh sliced off the grill.

FOXDIE

FNG
I live on the south side of Kansas City and would like to find people to shoot with and hunt with. I currently only have access to public land but would be interested in going in on a lease with someone/group as well. I am fine sticking to public though.

I was just headed to this section to make a post exactly like this. Awesome timing!

So just out of curiosity, which BBQ joint is better? I'm from Texas but my in law's live in Platte City. Been with my wife for 12 years and have never had any KC BBQ.

FOXDIE

FNG
Think you could get Slaps or Q39 to cater? I'd drive up for that in a blink.
So just out of curiosity, which BBQ joint is better? I'm from Texas but my in law's live in Platte City. Been with my wife for 12 years and have never had any KC BBQ.
Joe's Kansas City (will always be Oklahoma Joe's to me :D ) and Q39 are my favorites. Although I still have to get over to Slaps because I've heard it is awesome.

Doghed

WKR
I know this was supposed to be about hunting but this thread is making me hungry!

I grew up in the JOCO area and Midtown. I've had food from all the old school standards over the years but moved to New Mexico in the mid 90's so there are a lot of spots I haven't been. We're heading up to Olathe next week. I try to visit a different place on each visit. I can't wait to try something new.

One of my earliest memories of going out for BBQ was sitting at a velvety round booth at Haywards Pitt in the late 70's with my dad (a VP at Lenexa State Bank and Trust), Amos Otis, and Frank White. There might have been some other Royals but those two are the ones I remember.

Haywards was a top spot back in those days. Barely hear about it anymore.

KC here we come!!

OP
W

wilkINkc

Lil-Rokslider
I know this was supposed to be about hunting but this thread is making me hungry!

I grew up in the JOCO area and Midtown. I've had food from all the old school standards over the years but moved to New Mexico in the mid 90's so there are a lot of spots I haven't been. We're heading up to Olathe next week. I try to visit a different place on each visit. I can't wait to try something new.

One of my earliest memories of going out for BBQ was sitting at a velvety round booth at Haywards Pitt in the late 70's with my dad (a VP at Lenexa State Bank and Trust), Amos Otis, and Frank White. There might have been some other Royals but those two are the ones I remember.

Haywards was a top spot back in those days. Barely hear about it anymore.

KC here we come!!

My fiance and I had Haywards for the first time a few months ago. We liked it. I had never heard of it until we were using google looking for a new place to eat. We like KC Joe's Jack Stack, Snead's BBQ (Belton), & Zarda (Blue Springs).

We hear Q39 is good but still haven't been yet. Same with Slaps.

Doghed

WKR
Those are all really good. Its hard to go wrong. They're all better than what I can get around here so I'm not hard to please. I usually get to Joe's on each visit mostly because its close to where all my family live. I think I'm going to have to try Slaps or Q39. All the buzz has got me curious.

Tallfeller454

Lil-Rokslider
Im from the Smithville area north of KC, top two BBQ IMO are Slaps and Smokin Guns in North KC. Would love to get an event scheduled. been awhile since we all got together.