Mobile Reloading Setup

TxLite

WKR
Looking for some ideas on a mobile reloading bench.

It’s about an hour drive for me each way so I’d like to maximize the trip. I can easily size and prime before I go but I’d like to be able to get an accurate powder charge and seat bullets. I’ve seen the handheld seaters and I’m not opposed to it but curious to see what others are doing.

Trailer hitch vise with the press mounted to a board or plate? Sawhorse?

Bonus question- Would a truck inverter provide clean enough power for stable/accurate powder readings out of the chargemaster?

Pgohil

WKR
I've done similar. I'll run a battery pack which provides clean stable power for my charge master. I turn it on as soon as I get to my range and let it warm up. The biggest issue I find is finding a stable place inside my truck that allows for accurate powder drops. Still don't have that 100% yet.

I have my press mounted to a 2x4 which sits in a vise on my reloading bench for easy removal and installation. I take the same setup and use a clamp to clamp it down to my shooting bench and it works wonderfully for loading.

PGohil
WV

Jimbee

WKR
I made a portable reloading set up. It fits in a inconspicuous looking playmate cooler/lunchbox. Lee hand press, small digital scale. Works fine, not as good as a bench, obviously.

rayporter

WKR
you dont need an inverter for the CM. just plug into your lighter socket. better yet get a 12v power bank from amazon. alternatively a deer feeder battery works. the power bank i use will run the CM 24 -7 for more than 3 days. if you remember to turn it off at night it will last a lot longer. a deer feeder bat will last a week at least.

the problem with the CM is wind and you rocking the truck tailgate. wind wont be a problem most of the time but if you touch the truck that will be.

a black and decker work mate works for a table.

wilson seaters are super. they are the fastest seating method other than a progressive.
as well as making straight ammo.
z5RvCUd.jpg

OP
TxLite

TxLite

WKR
An arbor press is ideal for portability because it is small and freestanding.
That would be a great option if that’s what I was currently using but I think to convert to that would require quite a bit more than what I’m looking to do since my existing press is a rock chucker. I don’t want to buy new dies etc

OP
TxLite

TxLite

WKR
if you have a trailer plug at the back of the truck you can get 12v there.
I’ve got a bed cover which keeps the wind out of the bed area so that could work. Could just turn the key to accessory and get power back there. Maybe the press on a sawhorse so I’m not bumping the truck

Edit- Or skip the full press and use a handheld for seating

rayporter

WKR
you are on the right track. what you have will work, fine. it will just be a small pain to change dies. but if you do get an arbor and dies you will probably like them. a lot.

just remember if the truck moves readings will be affected. you can check this by pushing on the tailgate.
i had a friend that sent in 3 CM s and all it was was he would lean an elbow on the table as he waited to the charge to drop. when i had him remove his arm he got consistent readings.

OP
TxLite

TxLite

WKR
you are on the right track. what you have will work, fine. it will just be a small pain to change dies. but if you do get an arbor and dies you will probably like them. a lot.

just remember if the truck moves readings will be affected. you can check this by pushing on the tailgate.
i had a friend that sent in 3 CM s and all it was was he would lean an elbow on the table as he waited to the charge to drop. when i had him remove his arm he got consistent readings.
If I’m just seating then it shouldn’t be a big deal on the die change. Mainly just getting them dialed in which I already hate. I’d size and prime before going.

Noted on the CM sensitivity. I’ve had it a few years and it hasn’t been an issue for me in my reloading room but it’s also isolated on its own table. Wind rocking the truck would be my only concern for truck movement. I can step away from the truck while it dispenses and visually verify before removing the tray

I’ve got a bed cover which keeps the wind out of the bed area so that could work. Could just turn the key to accessory and get power back there. Maybe the press on a sawhorse so I’m not bumping the truck

Edit- Or skip the full press and use a handheld for seating
You wouldn’t get a full 12v without the truck running I don’t think? The charge on the battery would constantly decline with no input from the alternator wouldn’t it? Just thinking out loud here

TaperPin

WKR
I like idea of large quantities of pre measured charges in small glass bottles, paired with an arbor press for seating bullets. What isn’t used just gets dumped back into the powder measure, which means extra care has to be used to not mix it up.

I really like that it eliminates the pressure to shoot loads that you know aren’t going to work, or to pull bullets for overcharges. If the first two shots are outside the acceptable max group size, more shots will never shrink the group.

4563E1BA-A606-4045-A30F-8353FC57B263.jpeg

OP
TxLite

TxLite

WKR
You wouldn’t get a full 12v without the truck running I don’t think? The charge on the battery would constantly decline with no input from the alternator wouldn’t it? Just thinking out loud here
I’m no electrician, it’s all voodoo, so I can’t dispute this. My only thought is that the power draw is low enough that the truck battery may not be impacted? Maybe the power bank is the better move?

I’d also be using it for like 20 rounds for load verification, not planning on doing anything crazy.

OP
TxLite

TxLite

WKR
I like idea of large quantities of pre measured charges in small glass bottles, paired with an arbor press for seating bullets. What isn’t used just gets dumped back into the powder measure, which means extra care has to be used to not mix it up.

I really like that it eliminates the pressure to shoot loads that you know aren’t going to work, or to pull bullets for overcharges. If the first two shots are outside the acceptable max group size, more shots will never shrink the group.

View attachment 676868
I like the concept but my only issue is that it limits you on what charges you can shoot based on how many vials of X charge you brought with you. I like the option to make changes on the fly

TaperPin

WKR
I like the concept but my only issue is that it limits you on what charges you can shoot based on how many vials of X charge you brought with you. I like the option to make changes on the fly
I agree - It’s not a system I’d be able to use without an automatic dispensing scale at home.

Ive only seen it used working up loads with 10 charges of each weight from starting on up to max - that’s often 80 charges. A plywood box keeping the vials in rows of ten seems to make them easy to organize by weight, but that’s a lot of loads. Lol

I just thought of something that helps to keep a vehicle steady so the scale works better - I have seen a guy who cuts four 4x4 boards just long enough to go under the frame of his vehicle on the corners and snugged up with wooden tapered wedges. My friend uses that system so his tall slide in camper doesn’t sway in the wind and jiggle around as much.

I’m no electrician, it’s all voodoo, so I can’t dispute this. My only thought is that the power draw is low enough that the truck battery may not be impacted? Maybe the power bank is the better move?

I’d also be using it for like 20 rounds for load verification, not planning on doing anything crazy.
Yeah I’m definitely not either. If it were me the power bank seems like the better option personally.

Also I’ve seen a portable loading “box” that allows you to mount a press and even store a few things. I’ll see if I can find it and post it here

A382DWDZQ

WKR
Saw one that was basically a Rectangular plastic Milk crate for the bench in the back of the truck. Gear goes in crate for travel. Piece of plywood that fits in the crate comes out for the top. Beam scale sits on top, along with small level. Table levelers to level the crate. Lightweight Lee or RCBS press. Small powder measure and trickler. Brass already prepped & primed.

rayporter

WKR
the CM will run from 9v to 14 v ----dont over think this.
a truck battery will run a CM for weeks.

i knew a guy that made a bunch of flash light batteries strung up for a CM power supply and folks got a summer of use out of them [if they remembered to turn it off]

you can screw a board to a couple saw horses in about the time it took to read this and break it down just as fast.

Last edited: