Montana 2021 Season - cow and doe OTC lic

lupo_cw

FNG
Well, just found out I did not get a draw for the Elk or Deer tag for this season in Montana (I live here). After a quick call with FWP they told me to buy an OTC lic for cow and doe in August. Does anyone know if this is really something that can happen or is this one of those things that they have 5 tags for sale at a store somewhere no one knows and they sell out in 3 minutes? Thanks...and I thought 2021 was going to be better than 2020....at least I got a turkey tag....

hunterjmj

WKR
Just buy a general deer and a general elk tag. You can hunt countless areas with your general.

hobbes

WKR
How long have you lived here?

As stated above, you buy your general license and can hunt darn near the whole state but may be limited on what you can kill in each District. The only thing that you apply for as a resident is a permit that allows you to hunt specific areas with your general license. A resident has more opportunities than we know what to do with just by purchasing a general elk and deer license.

After that, B tags can be applied for but they sure as heck aren't your only option for hunting elk and deer. The regulations tell you how and when to apply. The majority are a lottery.

Have you read the regulations?