Montana (and other state) hunter orange laws out dated?

coyoteman

FNG
In all seriousness though..I would be fine without it while hunting in MT. Although it is nice to help spot other hunters at long distance and save myself from hunting in their direction or through the same area they just covered.

Most of you don’t remember when these laws went into effect in the 60’s and early 70’s the fatalities from gunshots decreased dramatically from double digits in many states to just a couple or sometimes none per year.
This was all in the Midwest. We first wore red before blaze orange was invented. Lot of that red eventually turned pink anyway. Only hunters wore it because nobody else was in the woods- besides a moonshiner or 2. There were no hikers or dog walkers- that was unheard of. I’m not sure if dog leashes were even known, besides we thought dogs did pretty good walking all by themselves. As kids we were required to wear red/ orange whenever we were outside during deer season-swingset, chores, bus stop. Thats: required by dad- no citations, just a woopin.
Not many hunters used scopes back then either.
Camp clothing was unheard of either.

Hunter safety classes started back then and I’m sure that helped lower the fatality rate as well.

Things have changed a lot since then. Today 43 states have some kind of orange requirement. Personally I don’t like the law as others have stated. It’s a personal choice that should be highly recommended, but not mandatory.

I’m just trying to give a perspective from when and why these laws went on he books.

Enough rambling, have a great day.
Bob

alecvg

Lil-Rokslider
I like the idea of orange hat only requirement in all western states. I get sick of constantly shedding it, and feel like in many of the elk and deer areas I hunt it is unnecessary, yet I still follow the law. I have definitely been happy I’ve been wearing it antelope hunting though. Out on the flats, bullets sure can start flying in the more heavily hunted areas.

mjh

FNG
Where I hunt orange is required hunting small game and during all firearms seasons for deer. If I'm bow hunting public land before & after gun season I will wear an orange hat walking in and out. Covers me for small game and yea never know who is out there and what they are doing. I was once setting up for an end of season evening archery hunt and a camoed up person passed me on a trail going in carrying a 30/30--said he was going in for his tree stand. Well, firearms season was over a month past--most folks don't hunt small game with a 30/30--he had no orange on..........

I noticed he went one direction--I peeled off in another direction to hunt.

There are now even regulations about putting orange on your pop up blind.

In the woodlots, fields, ag lands and northern forest lands I hunt visibility for safety is considered a good thing.

The vests and hats I've chosen to wear have never gotten in the way of my hunting.

mt100gr.

WKR
I'm usually pretty glad I have orange on every time an idiot Bubba dipshit uses his scope for an observation optic and looks at me. Funny thing, these guys usually don't wear orange...🤔🙄...mucho intelligente...

Always wear it with kids in the field, usually wear it when I suspect other hunters near by, sometimes wear it when other hunters are unlikely, just because. I almost always have an orange panel on my pack, too.

Orange has never bothered me. You guys are funny! If anything it's let people know that I'm already in an area and kept them out of my business more than hindered my hunts.

TaperPin

WKR
With the number of idiots in the field with a loaded chamber and habit of using the scope rather than pair of binoculars, not to mention the annual tradition in many camps of day drinking, added to the large number of knuckleheads with an oxi addiction, plus the young hunters turned loose without any knowledge of what’s dangerous (they don’t make good decisions, or we would call them adults instead of kids), and great gramps who is losing his sight and too stubborn to stay home, and honestly I bet there are many many near misses that don’t make the news.

I know a guy who was shot in the thigh with a 30-06 by a black bear hunter. After meeting him I don’t question having to mess up manly photos wearing the latest cool camo pattern with a little orange.

LostArra

WKR
Colorado requires rifle/muzzleloader hunters to wear orange. But they don’t require the archers hunting the exact same place, at the exact same time, for the exact same species to wear orange.
This is Colorado's brain trust equivalent of the Wyoming wilderness law except outfitters don't benefit.

This is Colorado's brain trust equivalent of the Wyoming wilderness law except outfitters don't benefit.
It's especially interesting since at least one archer has died recently from a muzzy hunter in Colorado. I don't know if the archer wearing orange would have helped or not.

it saves lives. that cannot be disputed. the numbers dont lie. what is amazing to me is the state i live in, which has redundant and over reaching laws for everything does not have a blaze orange law. im not sure how that happened.

yfarm

WKR
I wear an orange hat most of the time aside from dove hunting even though not required in Tx for most hunting. My question why is high vis green not used, far more visible in low light. Reviewed literature on this turns out yellow green best in low light, orange is better against green yellow backgrounds and orange gives better depth perception. On a personal note had a cousin killed by his best friend deer hunting in dense cover before Iowa required orange. 12 ga slug in the chest at 80 yds.

Mojave

WKR
I am a safety bureaucrat for a government agency, I have worked for a variety of agencies.

Whatever you do or don't do, most laws like this are written in blood.

Truckers have to take breaks during their driving and they are limited to so many hours a day of driving. I think it is 12 or 14. But I have not looked in a while. If a trucker has a prescription for a CPAP, then they have to use it. Written in blood.

Confined space entry program OSHA 1910.147 or maybe 146. Written in blood.

Here in Europe we own our hunting area. But for driven hunts it is a requirement. Why written in blood.

Seatbelts, motorcycle helmets, speed limits, drill press guards and gaps, get the idea? All written in blood.

Hunter orange is no different.

Ron Ketchum Natrona County Sheriff when I was a kid was shot through the shoulder on the National Elk Refuge while hunting in the 1980s. Wasn't wearing orange. He survived. Only to kill himself years later because of the famous Wyoming Lil' Miss abuduction murder case.

Only fudds and crayon eaters think it's a necessity

You have a lot more faith in your fellow man than I do.. I think of orange kinda like wearing a motorcycle/bike helmet. I don't think it should be required but I'll wear it. Now I don't think full body suit is necessary but a all blaze orange hat should be good enough. Hate to say it but I've met more retards in teh woods than I have in everyday life.

TaperPin

WKR
I am a safety bureaucrat for a government agency, I have worked for a variety of agencies.

Whatever you do or don't do, most laws like this are written in blood.

Truckers have to take breaks during their driving and they are limited to so many hours a day of driving. I think it is 12 or 14. But I have not looked in a while. If a trucker has a prescription for a CPAP, then they have to use it. Written in blood.

Confined space entry program OSHA 1910.147 or maybe 146. Written in blood.

Here in Europe we own our hunting area. But for driven hunts it is a requirement. Why written in blood.

Seatbelts, motorcycle helmets, speed limits, drill press guards and gaps, get the idea? All written in blood.

Hunter orange is no different.

Ron Ketchum Natrona County Sheriff when I was a kid was shot through the shoulder on the National Elk Refuge while hunting in the 1980s. Wasn't wearing orange. He survived. Only to kill himself years later because of the famous Wyoming Lil' Miss abuduction murder case.
To this day I mention Lil’ Miss anytime a female wants girly plates or bumper stickers - also why it’s important to know what to do when someone wants to run you off the road. Crazy case.

Stalker69

WKR
Just look at how stupid, people have gotten. I know I hear every year of at least one and times several hunters getting shot. Mistaken for game. Orange just may save your life, or not.