Montana (and other state) hunter orange laws out dated?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Do you hate posted speed limits too?
Of course. They are arbitrary numbers. I always drive for the conditions, not what some number says on a road sign. Just like the "no left on red arrow" lights......when it's clear for over 1/2 a mile. A light bulb shouldn't be dictating how or if we think on our own. The problem is....the government doesn't like it when people are thinking. They prefer to just control every aspect of our lives, and force everyone to fall in line with their idiocy. And those that can't think, just fall in line and then get mad when others don't fall in line.......just like we saw with Covid. And that's exactly what the government wants and expects from its sheep.

And here's an odd one......we've had at least a couple dozen motorcycle riders die in the last couple years......just in my county. WAYYYYYY more than anyone killed while hunting in the last 40 years combined state wide. Yet helmets are still optional in CO. Logically.......they should be mandatory in a nanny state. Something is amiss with their logic........again.

Last edited:
I hate wearing it, mostly because I’m lazy and hate taking a vest on and off to change out layers. Over the past few years I have found companies (non hunting) that make blaze orange layers and so I’ve been using those. Like some have stated before, I just don’t like being told what to do.

OP
StickSlingers

StickSlingers

Lil-Rokslider
I compiled averages from state websites for your viewing pleasure. I compiled the most recent data available over a five year period for each state some states like Montana, Wyoming, Nevada, & Arizona had no data available
*feel free to check my math I’m not perfect*

Hunting fatalities vs non fatalities per states

Orange required states

Washington 2018-2022
# of hunters 190,000
Fatalities 0
Non fatalities 16
Average annual
Fatalities 0
Non 3.2

Utah 2013-2017
# of hunters 468,000
Fatalities 4
Non fatalities 26
Average annual
Fatalities 0.8
Non 5.2

Colorado 2016-2020
# of hunters 361,000
Fatalities 3
Non fatalities 22
Average annual
Fatalities 0.6
Non 4.4

No orange requirement states

Oregon 2014-2019
# of hunters 331,000
Fatalities 5
Non fatalities 7
Average annual
Fatalities 1
Non 1.4

Idaho 2014-2010
# of hunters 300,000
Fatalities 2
Non fatalities 12
Average annual
Fatalities .4
Non 2.4

California 2012-2016
# of hunters 300,000
Fatalities 8
Non fatalities 48
Average annual
Fatalities 1.6
Non 9.6

Average accidents per million across all non orange states
Fatal 3.22
Non 14.39

Less the highest incident state
Fatal 2.21
Non 6.02

Average accidents per million across all orange required states
Fatal 1.37
Non 12.56

Less the highest incident state
Fatal 1.08
Non 13.79

This was as honest of a compilation that i could come up with, the obvious outlier being California.
If you take them out of the mix and Utah your twice as likely to die in a non orange state (one in a million vs two in a million mind you) but more than twice as likely to be shot in a state that requires orange. Keep in mind, allot of these incidents are not a case of mistaken identity. Most are due to weapon mishandling.
I am amazed at how many people on this forum claim so matter of fact that something is the way it is simply because they FEEL a that it is, without ever looking at a stitch of data. I encourage those calling others idiots and tin foil hats to take a look at the data for yourself. You feel so adamantly that people do what YOU feel is right for THEIR safety, but forget that the tides could easily turn when a majority of the population FEELS like hunting is bad, but doesn’t take into account any hard numbers when they decide to take YOUR hunting rights away. yes it’s just wearing orange, but normalizing forcing people to do something without any clear evidence of its effectiveness will surely escalate overtime. Look at Washington’s spring bear season. I will proudly wear my tin foil hat if it simply means that i make decisions off of facts not opinions. Most importantly remember we’re all on the same team!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
StickSlingers

StickSlingers

Lil-Rokslider
*Correction*

Average non fatal incidents for orange wearing states less Utah is

Grisha

Lil-Rokslider
As someone who lives in a bit more crowded state. Monday starts turkey season here in NJ. I keep an orange hat and vest in my pack. If im moving, looking to strike a gobbler, i'll wear the orange hat. If successful, orange hat and vest over the turkeys body. Some 80+ percent of hunting accidents happen when no orange is required.

I hate people... and the fact I have to wear orange at all. When i hunt Vermont, I just wear a hat and feel safe. But way to many assholes in NJ/NY/PA just blind firing at movement.

Rule number 2 - know your target and beyond.
Scariest moment I have had afield was turkey hunting in same area. Be safe.

I always have at least an orange cap one when big game hunting, required or not, just don't trust the funds out there these days. A great side benefit is in Colorado you can glass a hillside and see the pumpkin patch and then go somewhere else. I feel like it actually saves me wasted effort hiking around where other people are sometimes, you really can see that orange a long ways away.

Somewhere around 35-40 years ago there was an incident with homeless guy somewhere west of Missoula ( Superior perhaps?). Mistaken for a bear. He was in some brush by a creek. A hunter shot him. Twice. Article in the paper said the homeless guy held no grudge. They showed a picture of him in a hospital bed, hairiest man I ever saw outside of the circus side show and I thought “ Holy cow he looks like a bear!!” I would suggest if you look like a bear ( or another game animal in season) it would be in your best interest to wear something bright colored. 😁

KenLee

WKR
South Carolina doesn't require orange on private land. I always ar least wear an orange hat. I prefer a homemade welders type soft cap. Slip into your pocket if you want

mt100gr.

WKR
It is interesting that it's not at least encouraged for other recreators to wear some color.
They don't in montana. However, most hikers wear it when season is on
That's definitely not the case in the places I hunt. I'm not sure I've seen a hiker in orange recently.....I've mentioned it to hikers and bikers, and encouraged them to at least put some color on their wandering dogs and they look at me like I am speaking a foreign language.

For most of our history, NYS did not require wearing blaze orange. The thinking was two fold:
1. More hunters were already wearing orange than many states that mandated the use of orange
2. It was believed that if wearing orange was mandated, that some hunters would be more likely to shoot at non-targets that did not have orange, like hikers or other non-hunters who were afield during the hunting season

However - a few years ago, the progressives thought differently and now you must wear either blaze orange or PINK! Yup pink is the new safety color in NYS. LOL

It is interesting that it's not at least encouraged for other recreators to wear some color.

That's definitely not the case in the places I hunt. I'm not sure I've seen a hiker in orange recently.....I've mentioned it to hikers and bikers, and encouraged them to at least put some color on their wandering dogs and they look at me like I am speaking a foreign language.
I have an orange vest for my dog when we're out hiking in NF or anywhere somebody might wanna shoot a coyote.

It should just be a hat, period. Montana’s is completely outdated. 400 square inches is difficult if not impossible the measure accurately in the field. Is a vest good enough? Orange bino harness plus hat? I’m sure it leads to some arguments between wardens and hunters.

If nothing else make it clothing specific… vest and hat. Vest or hat. Etc etc.

Sanchez

Lil-Rokslider
In Oregon the hunters who do not wear hunter orange get confused with the rural homeless. They are perceived as a homeless person with a gun by many of our wonderful citizens who knowm little about hunting. It is not a good look or positive impression for hunters.

In Montana by contrast, big game hunters all wear orange and are understood for what they are. They are respected and not perceived as a threat, someone dressed in old throw away "Good Will" clothes, or someone trying to be sneaky.

Yeah, guys who don’t wear orange during rifle/muzzleloader seasons trust their fellow man way too much. I’m not going to rat you out if you’re not wearing it, but I am going to think you are pretty dumb. But you are entitled to your opinion as I am mine.

I mean, if I catch movement in the distance in a hunting situation I may check it out through my scope. If you want to be sitting in my crosshairs while I confirm my target. Go for it. I’m not going to shoot you, but I wouldn’t have scoped you if you were wearing orange.
Holy hell, way to admit you’re the problem.

You can take it how you feel. Scoping another hunter is never intentional, and I do not think I have violated any firearm safety rule. The hunter not wearing orange has. It is not always possible to identify your target by eye, especially when you are carrying a weapon capable of accurately firing a round 500+ yards.

I actively try to keep items in the edge of my scope before I identify it. But even when I am carrying binoculars, I have pulled out my scope to check out things I could not identify under a lower magnification. Any hunter who claims he has not done this, is either a liar or kidding himself.
You’re violating the #1 rule of firearm safety. Never point a firearm and something you don’t intend on destroying.

What do you mean “when” you’re carrying your binos? There’s no reason to not always have your binos on you if you’re rifle hunting. There’s absolutely no reason to look at an unidentified object in your scope.

Lastly you couldn’t be more wrong. Anyone I would hunt with and myself included have never scoped someone. There’s just absolutely no reason for it.

Last edited:
OP
StickSlingers

StickSlingers

Lil-Rokslider
In Oregon the hunters who do not wear hunter orange get confused with the rural homeless. They are perceived as a homeless person with a gun by many of our wonderful citizens who knowm little about hunting. It is not a good look or positive impression for hunters.

In Montana by contrast, big game hunters all wear orange and are understood for what they are. They are respected and not perceived as a threat, someone dressed in old throw away "Good Will" clothes, or someone trying to be sneaky.

Ive lived and hunted in Oregon my entire life, and can say with absolute certainty this is the craziest thing I’ve ever heard. Can’t say I’ve ever been mistaken for “a rural homeless” (whatever the hell that is) because i wasn’t wearing orange i really hope this is sarcasm because i am speechless. I’m not wallowing in trash high on drugs while hunting. That’s usually how i spot em. Not to mention i don’t know many homeless, (especially of the rural type) that travel from location to location in $60,000 trucks.

Ive lived and hunted in Oregon my entire life, and can say with absolute certainty this is the craziest thing I’ve ever heard. Can’t say I’ve ever been mistaken for “a rural homeless” (whatever the hell that is) because i wasn’t wearing orange i really hope this is sarcasm because i am speechless. I’m not wallowing in trash high on drugs while hunting. That’s usually how i spot em. Not to mention i don’t know many homeless, (especially of the rural type) that travel from location to location in $60,000 trucks.

Yeah, born in Astoria Oregon and raised across the river. I’ve never heard anything like that in my life 🤣 This thread has some wackadoos