Montana, did the price really go up again??

jm1607

WKR
Last year it cost me $83 to apply for goat:

$50 app fee + $20 point fee + $10 conservation stamp + $3 in fees

This year it says I have to also buy a "base hunting license for $15" and auto-adds it to my cart..

Oh, and the $3 fee went up to $5 lol?

So now it costs $100 to apply?? WTF is happening in Montana?

Think I may just say screw my points and quit, I don't have that many...

Last edited:

Ceby7

Lil-Rokslider
The legislature in MT hates FWP. The price increases are aimed at keeping FWP funded into the future. $100 is not that much to apply for a goat permit.

• Banned
OP
jm1607

jm1607

WKR
The legislature in MT hates FWP. The price increases are aimed at keeping FWP funded into the future. $100 is not that much to apply for a goat permit.

Watching it go from $20 to $100 over the last few years is kind of rough..

Seems expensive to me! ;) WY costs $14, CO costs $3 if you're already applying to other species, NV costs $16.50 if your already applying also..

I apply to 12 different states and it's my most expensive permit by far..

I guess WA has them beat by a couple bucks.. ID does too, but they have everybody beat with everything lol

robie

WKR
Ya, I think I'm done giving MT money.. I'm not in it too deep to quit

MT is the worst state in my opinion. Its a long drive from Houston and they just want to much for their lottery tickets. With odds that long I don't mind states like WY that take it all up front but like you said I get all back but $14.

I feel if you have a hunt lined up its a great place you can just buy a tag but not worth building points.

• Banned
OP
jm1607

jm1607

WKR
MT is the worst state in my opinion. Its a long drive from Houston and they just want to much for their lottery tickets. With odds that long I don't mind states like WY that take it all up front but like you said I get all back but $14.

I feel if you have a hunt lined up its a great place you can just buy a tag but not worth building points.

I think you're exactly right. I definitely take driving distance into consideration and it's my furthest away app (even though the goat units I app for are on the southern border) besides my NE moose lotteries..

The new fee is a scam too. For any state, I understand making you buy a license. I "kind of" understand some sort of cheap conservancy stamp. A couple bucks in CC fees no problem (although NV gouges you). But a $15 fee for "the first license or app you purchase for the year" is a joke. Just the total BS of it completely turns me off.

Hey Robie, where you at in Houston?

Last edited:
OP
jm1607

jm1607

WKR
Its on the west side of town. It looks fancy. Are most of the RMEF banquets on the nicer side? I'm used to DU and Delta banquets that are at a beer hall.
LINK

No idea, but I'll go!

I'm an RMEF member but never went to a banquet.. Does look a little too fancy for me lol