Montana Fall bear

Isaac_SBO

FNG
After having a unsuccessful spring bear trip to Montana this year I’ll be giving it another go come fall while on a several week excursion chasing elk and deer. How many people devote days to bear while on these hunts or is it just more of a target of opportunity? I see archery runs parallel but there’s a rifle bear season that runs together with the archery elk season? Will you get some frustrated elk hunters if your toting around a rifle during September? General thoughts? Educate me. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rogue Bay

WKR
When I lived in Montana we rifle hunted for bears during September. That was the best time and you have as much right to be out there as the archery hunters.

We didn’t encounter as many bears once rifle deer/elk season opened. Where we lived the bears were pretty much down by Halloween.

Hope that helps and good luck on your trip.

Chuckybmd

WKR
After having a unsuccessful spring bear trip to Montana this year I’ll be giving it another go come fall while on a several week excursion chasing elk and deer. How many people devote days to bear while on these hunts or is it just more of a target of opportunity? I see archery runs parallel but there’s a rifle bear season that runs together with the archery elk season? Will you get some frustrated elk hunters if your toting around a rifle during September? General thoughts? Educate me. Thanks!

So are you saying you’ll be hunting archery elk/deer and bring a rifle for bears?

I am in Idaho, so things are a little different, but I do keep a bear tag if the unit is open for that, but my assumption was that I had to shoot it with a bow.

I would make sure to check the regulations to be sure you can take a rifle with you during an archery hunt, that might be prohibited.

Honestly, I’d be interested to know if it’s legal or not.

Rogue Bay

WKR
When I lived there the any weapons bear season opened on September 15 (or the Saturday closest to September 15…I can’t remember which) and archery deer and elk season ran from early September into mid-October. I believe you can/could archery bear hunt prior to the Sept. 15 any weapons bear opener as well.

OP
Isaac_SBO

Isaac_SBO

FNG
So are you saying you’ll be hunting archery elk/deer and bring a rifle for bears?

I am in Idaho, so things are a little different, but I do keep a bear tag if the unit is open for that, but my assumption was that I had to shoot it with a bow.

I would make sure to check the regulations to be sure you can take a rifle with you during an archery hunt, that might be prohibited.

Honestly, I’d be interested to know if it’s legal or not.

I would never be carrying both, I’d just have the other in the truck with he ability to go back and switch out.

Werty

WKR
If your toting a rifle for bear when general season bear starts September 15 you need to have hunters orange on and your legal. Good luck