Montana Unit 330

krossh

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking at putting an application in for 2016 for Unit 330. Anyone have any experience here? What's the Goat population in this area look like? I recently moved to the Bozeman area and am looking for opportunities close to me. Any information would be appreciated.

Logan T

WKR
I would definitely call the biologist and see what the population is doing. I drew a goat tag for that unit in 2009 and my dad drew it in 2008. We both had a very hard time finding goats. My dad shot the only one he saw the whole season, which was on the last day, and I shot the first one I saw, which was in a group of 3, on the last weekend of the season. The goats had gotten sick and there was a big die off in that unit those years. I grew up in that area and between living there and everyone we know who hunts goats and had info for us it was still difficult finding goats. We used to be able to ride past goats on horses at 100 yards on main trails in certain spots before that but not since. I believe their population has steadied and maybe started to slowly climb back, but I'm not positive on that.

Goats are BELOW timberline in most of that unit, fyi, and that does make it a little more difficult. A lot of that "goat looking country" is impossible for people to get around in, no matter how big of a mountain man someone thinks they are.... but that "goat looking country" isn't where the goats are anyways.

My best advice would be to call biologists and try to get an honest answer out of them on the population. I hope they tell you it is rebounding and you go do it, because I finally get to start applying for goats again next spring and know that area like home! But right now I am probably going to put in for a different unit unless I hear different on the population next year.

OP
krossh

krossh

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome, thanks. I attempted to contact the biologist that I was told is the resident expert for that area. Had to leave a voicemail. I'll see what she has to say. I managed to find some information on the success rate which I estimate to be around 78% average since 2010. The draw odds are higher there than in the crazies which is what appealed to me. Right now, I'm between unit 313 (crazies) and 330. I guess I'll wait for a call from the biologist and go from there. I would not expect Goats to be hanging below the timberline so thanks for the tip. Looking at Maps, it would seem that accessibility is going to be a small issue. You're either taking the Boulder river road or the road on the eastern side of the Yellowstone and walking a lot of UP.

MTredneck

FNG
I heard from a few different people now that the drawing odds are better for 330 and units south to Yellowstone because FWP gets pressure from the NPS to keep the number low since goats aren't considered native to the AB or Yelly. Curious to learn if anyone has heard any differently. I always thought it seemed way more likely that they got extirpated, since that was a big summering area for many of the early peoples, but what do I know? Just odd that they lived in the Crazies but couldn't get across the river to any parts south of there. I wish they'd manage for higher numbers, though, because I grew up down there and would love to start putting in there again. I guess as long as it takes to draw a goat tag I still have time for it to rebound...heheheh.

What district did you end up applying for? I shot a goat in what I believe was the district just south of 330 recently (don't have the regs on me right now). I do a lot of hiking all over the area though and may be able to give you a little advice depending on where or if you get a tag. Let me know.