Moose Rack replication?

ColtyJr

Lil-Rokslider
I have a euro mount done and long story short need to potentially make a replica of it. Looking for recommendations on who would do such work and experiences you've had making replicas. Thanks

johnnycake

Lil-Rokslider
So I've been looking at this exact question lately, for the 55" bull I shot with my cousin in September. Antlers by Klaus in WI seems to be the best quality, but for a one off, it's ~$6k for the moulding and then another $1-2k for the finished repro. That's a similar price to what Knight's in Anchorage quoted. There's a guy in Wyoming who quoted approximately $2-3k, and a guy in Texas who quoted $2500.

We still don't know who we're going to use.

keller

WKR
Are you talking about a replica made from pictures or a second set made from a mold from original antlers ?
So I've been looking at this exact question lately, for the 55" bull I shot with my cousin in September. Antlers by Klaus in WI seems to be the best quality, but for a one off, it's ~$6k for the moulding and then another $1-2k for the finished repro. That's a similar price to what Knight's in Anchorage quoted. There's a guy in Wyoming who quoted approximately $2-3k, and a guy in Texas who quoted $2500.

We still don't know who we're going to use.

Matt79

Lil-Rokslider
Look up the Wildlife Gallery. I took a tour of the place when I picked up my moose mount. They were making a set of replicas for a world class bull moose a client had killed.

keller

WKR
My before and after .. antlers burned up. Not sure what to do.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231111_172232_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20231111_172232_Messages.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 82
  • 20230913_134936.jpg
    20230913_134936.jpg
    326.5 KB · Views: 82

johnnycake

Lil-Rokslider
My before and after .. antlers burned up. Not sure what to do.
Wow that sucks. That's a great bull. There are probably some taxidermists capable of recreating him with the pictures and what's left. But I'm not sure who would be the right ones to talk to.

If I were in your shoes, then that might make an interesting landscaping piece, and then I'd get some metal prints done up by a pro photographer using my favorite field photos. Then I'd put the $ savings from the avoided restoration into another hunt (moose or whatever floats your boat)

keller

WKR
That's the plan
Wow that sucks. That's a great bull. There are probably some taxidermists capable of recreating him with the pictures and what's left. But I'm not sure who would be the right ones to talk to.

If I were in your shoes, then that might make an interesting landscaping piece, and then I'd get some metal prints done up by a pro photographer using my favorite field photos. Then I'd put the $ savings from the avoided restoration into another hunt (moose or whatever floats your boat)

Scottf270

WKR
I heard your story and saw pictures from a friend in SW MO. that I met at Papa Bear in 2022. Crazy story. Feel bad for you.

I would look for options but in the end, I'd spend the money and just go hunt again. No matter what you can do about the current rack, it's still a "fake".

Hope things work out for ya.

Look up the Wildlife Gallery. I took a tour of the place when I picked up my moose mount. They were making a set of replicas for a world class bull moose a client had killed.
Interesting. I got a quote back from Travis Wood at Wildlife gallery 2 weeks ago and he told me ALL replicas are referred to Wyoming Backcountry and Decor

Erict

WKR
No direct experience with it, but this DIY thread posted by a member on Taxidermy.net is very interesting to see one way it's done ANTLER REPRODUCTION MOLDING

Here's how it starts: