Rack for E-bike

willidru

WKR
I've got 2 quietkat E-bikes that have been a lot of fun, but need to find a bike rack to transport easily. Have a truck topper so the ratchet strap like a dirt bike option is out and with gear and two bikes, laying down in the truck bed doesn't work either. I've used an old Yakima rack for some short trips, but it's not technically rated to carry the weight of the bikes. Would hate to have a failure on a long trip.

Quietkat has a hitch set up that seems good, but OOS and $950 for the 2 bike set up.

https://quietkat.com/collections/electric-bike-accessories/products/pivot-pro-ebike-car-rack

Anyone have experience with the Quietkat car rack? Any other racks that work well for 2 bikes that weigh 70# each?

WTFJohn

WKR
We don't have any, but my friends that do have e-bikes & hitch racks have had lots of issues finding a rack that is durable enough to carry the weight especially when on rougher roads & extended off the back of a pickup. My starting place would probably be a dirt bike hitch carrier, modifying as needed to secure the bikes.

wesfromky

WKR
I have a cheap amazon dirt bike rack for my ebike, but it is just a single, and pretty heavy on it's own. If I was going to carry two bikes, I would probably look at something from 1up. If you aren't already, removing the batteries while in transit will also help drop the weight.

rclouse79

WKR
I was looking the other day and saw a two motorcycle hitch rack for under $300. I read some of the reviews and people were using them for ebikes.

I modified a Yakima rack that was similar to this design. I replaced the down pipe with heavy wall square tubing and added a piece at the bottom that fits in to my receiver hitch. I have a camper shell on my truck too so I put a hinge at the bottom that lets me lay the bike down while still hooked up to the rack so I can open my tailgate and get in the shell. It’s in storage right now, if you’re interested I could send you picks in a week or so. I like this style because you can make everything ride higher than your pumper instead of worrying about draggin off thousands of dollars worth of shit back there IMG_3151.jpeg

Maki35

WKR
Try a motorcycle hitch rack. Some are rated from 400-1000lbs. depending on which one you choose.

If you have a medium or high roof topper you can maybe remove the front wheels and get them in the bed standing or leavening a bit. I’ve seen guys transport dirt bikes this way. But they had a tall topper. Motorcycle rated hitch carrier should work. They make double carriers and two e bikes don’t weigh as much as one dirt bike.

ridgefire

WKR
I have been using a Thule T2 Pro XTR and it has worked great. I have had a Rad Rover 5 and a Bakcou Mule on it and it hauled them with no issues.

OP
willidru

willidru

WKR
I modified a Yakima rack that was similar to this design. I replaced the down pipe with heavy wall square tubing and added a piece at the bottom that fits in to my receiver hitch. I have a camper shell on my truck too so I put a hinge at the bottom that lets me lay the bike down while still hooked up to the rack so I can open my tailgate and get in the shell. It’s in storage right now, if you’re interested I could send you picks in a week or so. I like this style because you can make everything ride higher than your pumper instead of worrying about draggin off thousands of dollars worth of shit back there View attachment 672897

Yes, would be interested in some pics

OP
willidru

willidru

WKR
Thanks for feedback will take a look at some of these options. Will report back once I figure it out and do some transporting.

Phaseolus

WKR
We have a Kuat NV 2.0 that carry‘s my Wife’s e mtn bike. It’s rated for 120 pounds total. She got the add on ramp so She can roll the bike up on it. Her Liv (made by Giant) weighs 52 pounds.

1 up is the best out there and makes racks rated for ebikes. They have ramp options as well. All metal, will last a lifetime. Probably in the same price range as the QuietKat. I have a lighter duty one and it is the bomb!!! Ive been rear ended several times(stupid Okies...lol) thankfully without the bike, and only damage was a broken spring for the locking mechanism, which 1up replaced for free!!! Even sell a cargo tray for them.1up w cooler.jpg

ohoopee

WKR
I have an Innorack INH110. The hitch attaches to my Tacoma. I have been happy with
it. It tilts down so I can drop the tailgate. I looked at 1up and Kuat. Good reviews and
more than half the price sold me. I use mine on farm roads and public hunting roads
and the bike rides well. I don't offroad with my truck and bike so maybe the other brands
perform better in those circumstances. You can purchase a light ramp
for the INH120 two bike rack but not the INH110. I got mine online at Tractor supply
and had it delivered to the store for 404.00. I think the specs show it for a 3.5 tire bike
but dealer assured me the 4" tires fit fine and they do. My bike weighs 82lbs with
the 24ah battery.

Last edited:

Doghed

WKR
1up is probably the best of the mainstream popular racks (Thule/Yakima), but for the things most of us do and places we go ALTA Racks is the best out there right now.

If you're putting it on a car and staying on pavement 1up and others will work, but as soon as you go through a dip on a forest road you could be dragging a very expensive bike on the ground.

Last edited:

Archery22

FNG
1 UP USA the best if it's in your budget but check out Harbor Freights motorcycle rack comes with ramp $135.00 on sale that's what we use. Just a heads up use the tie down straps.