More access

I almost didn’t post this. Frankly because it’s just another attempt under the current administration that will benefit hunters and fisherman. There’s been enough that the “newness” has wore off I suppose. Regardless of the warnings how misguided and driven this administration is concerning public lands.

I was hoping the leading conservation groups would post about it. Not likely I know. I reckon it falls while the opposition party of national, is in office. Maybe I’m wrong. I hope so. But, I don’t truly believe so.

Anyways, it seems like a pretty significant step towards making hunting and fishing more accessible. Bravo. It’s a win for us all. Let’s celebrate as we should.

kicker338

WKR
There is an even quicker way and a lot more excess to federal land. just unlock all the gates on national forest land and get rid of the forest service road use maps and let us go where we used to be able to go.

I almost didn’t post this. Frankly because it’s just another attempt under the current administration that will benefit hunters and fisherman. There’s been enough that the “newness” has wore off I suppose. Regardless of the warnings how misguided and driven this administration is concerning public lands.

I was hoping the leading conservation groups would post about it. Not likely I know. I reckon it falls while the opposition party of national, is in office. Maybe I’m wrong. I hope so. But, I don’t truly believe so.

Anyways, it seems like a pretty significant step towards making hunting and fishing more accessible. Bravo. It’s a win for us all. Let’s celebrate as we should.

Damn, I need a translator! 🤔🤪 Appears to be a good thing!

MtGomer

WKR
There is an even quicker way and a lot more excess to federal land. just unlock all the gates on national forest land and get rid of the forest service road use maps and let us go where we used to be able to go.

I like gates. They should build more of them. The further I get behind one, the more separation there is from people. That’s a good thing.

I like gates. They should build more of them. The further I get behind one, the more separation there is from people. That’s a good thing.

I agree.

It’s public lands that prohibit hunting and fishing where it is otherwise safe to do so that I oppose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kicker338

WKR

Geez I was under the impression that this was public land for multiple use, camping, site seeing not to mention logging but now I understand it's for a select few who want it gated up for their own benefit. Sarcasm intended here but seriously to me is I can remember my younger days 40yrs. ago plus when the national forest was a place where one could go, drive any road you wanted to, walk anywhere, bretty much about anything one wanted to do. Now I'm beat to death with forest service rules and regs. Case in point here in Nth. Idaho where I like to hunt and camp, Fernan canyon , when you first reach national forest your met with a sign that says no camping, no shooting for the next 6mi. also better have a road use map. Finally get to where you can camp and most of the time all are already taken. Any side roads, gated or not are off limits, gotta stay on designated roads, places where I used to drive to, 2 or 3 hundred yds off the designated road, sleep in my truck bed, no longer can do.

I could go on and on about this, people, hunting camps included, take up camp sites all summer unless someone calls the ranger cop about it. Theft, and vandalism are getting worse, fights and hard feelings happening more and more. Whats causing this, jam up the general public in small designated areas in the national forest is asking for problems. Done with my rant.

S.Clancy

WKR
Geez I was under the impression that this was public land for multiple use, camping, site seeing not to mention logging but now I understand it's for a select few who want it gated up for their own benefit. Sarcasm intended here but seriously to me is I can remember my younger days 40yrs. ago plus when the national forest was a place where one could go, drive any road you wanted to, walk anywhere, bretty much about anything one wanted to do. Now I'm beat to death with forest service rules and regs. Case in point here in Nth. Idaho where I like to hunt and camp, Fernan canyon , when you first reach national forest your met with a sign that says no camping, no shooting for the next 6mi. also better have a road use map. Finally get to where you can camp and most of the time all are already taken. Any side roads, gated or not are off limits, gotta stay on designated roads, places where I used to drive to, 2 or 3 hundred yds off the designated road, sleep in my truck bed, no longer can do.

I could go on and on about this, people, hunting camps included, take up camp sites all summer unless someone calls the ranger cop about it. Theft, and vandalism are getting worse, fights and hard feelings happening more and more. Whats causing this, jam up the general public in small designated areas in the national forest is asking for problems. Done with my rant.
Multiple use means multiple use. Historically, those lands had very dense roaded access, leaving very little walk in only use. Perhaps this has swung a little far in the other direction. But it's still multiple use. Further, costs of keeping all roads open would be impossible given most forest service budgets are directed at fire response and battling all manner of lawsuits whenever they try to cut a tree or put in a culvert. In my opinion there are still plenty of roads on most districts. We'll likely run out of roadless areas before we run out of roads.

CorbLand

WKR

We have been over your point of view many times on this forum, and I am honestly not sure why I am even replying but here we go...again...

You literally answer 90% of your "problems". Why cant you drive where ever you want to? Because there are way more people today than there was 40 plus years ago. Look at the amount of atvs on the roads now compared to then and take 10 seconds to think of the damage half of those can do to land. Theft is not increasing because you cant drive where ever you want, fights are not increasing because of it, thats honestly the dumbest argument I have heard in a long time. Land is managed for multiple use, there are forest service roads, single track and hike/horse trails. Seems pretty multiple use to me. Access doesn't mean there RV are hook ups at the top of every mountain.

You sound like an old guy that lived the life of doing what you want and now that people are recognizing the damage that was done to public lands and nature because of that, your pissed that you cant do it. I know guys that use to shoot 4 deer a year, on one tag and cant figure out why there arent any deer left but dont worry its Fish and Games fault. Maybe we should go back to the days of no tags? Go kill elk, deer, bear anything we want we want to...those times really worked well.

Last edited:
Has there been any release of where these lands actually are, specifically? I’d like to see a map or something and see if my state is affected

kicker338

WKR
We have been over your point of view many times on this forum, and I am honestly not sure why I am even replying but here we go...again...

You literally answer 90% of your "problems". Why cant you drive where ever you want to? Because there are way more people today than there was 40 plus years ago. Look at the amount of atvs on the roads now compared to then and take 10 seconds to think of the damage half of those can do to land. Theft is not increasing because you cant drive where ever you want, fights are not increasing because of it, thats honestly the dumbest argument I have heard in a long time. Land is managed for multiple use, there are forest service roads, single track and hike/horse trails. Seems pretty multiple use to me. Access doesn't mean there RV are hook ups at the top of every mountain.

You sound like an old guy that lived the life of doing what you want and now that people are recognizing the damage that was done to public lands and nature because of that, your pissed that you cant do it. I know guys that use to shoot 4 deer a year, on one tag and cant figure out why there arent any deer left but dont worry its Fish and Games fault. Maybe we should go back to the days of no tags? Go kill elk, deer, bear anything we want we want to...those times really worked well.
Does that mean you don't like me ?????? LOL.

CorbLand

WKR
Does that mean you don't like me ?????? LOL.

We disagree about public land and I stand behind my view of you but honestly in order for you to like and dislike people, you have to care. I don’t make a habit of really caring about random people on a Internet forum.

Managing for wildlife and management for hunter access are often two different things.

Elk and Deer need “security” areas to survive and thrive on public land. That’s not conjecture, that’s verified fact backed by multiple studies. Road closures are an essential tool for wildlife managers.

It also makes for good hunting for those of us willing to put in the leg work so to speak.;)

I can understand the concern about lack of access in certain states where there are miles of backcountry without roads.

Where I have grown up hunting- New Mexico National Forest and BLM, there have always been roads in every canyon. Hike in 2 miles and you’re 1 mile from the next road.

Tons of road hunters and very, very little secluded places.

There is also lots of private intertwined which allows for access to some vehicle traffic off road.

I want to see access restricted as much as possible in those areas.

I hate the phrase "Git R Done" so badly. Not all Sportsmen and Women are uneducated Larry the Cable Guy fans.

As for vehicle access, when is the last time any of you found a backcountry (foot access only) campsite littered with broken glass, shot shells, and beer cans? Long live roadless areas.