More tuning

nilo80

FNG
So I've been messing around with different spined arrows and I've got plenty of questions. I'm shooting gold tip traditional arrows. 400's and 500's. My 400 bare shafts consistently hit high and are nock high compared to the 500's. And my fletched 400's Impact higher than the 500's as well. Why would stiffer arrows act any differently up and down? If the nock point is too high, wouldn't it be too high for weaker and stiffer spined alike? And what spined arrows are some of you shooting? I'm shooting a 50 lb @ 28" one piece 58" recurve. My draw length is about 28.5". I'm using 100 grain inserts and 125 gr tips so a decent amount of weight up front. Most charts I come across put me in the 400 spine category but I've also been told that 400 is too stiff. Shaft length of 30 1/8". Thanks in advance!

PJG

WKR
Are you shooting with your bow canted or vertical. If you are shooting canted, shoot it held vertical and see if you get the same results.

PJG

WKR
That is weird, does the side plate or the feather closest to the shelf show excessive wear when shooting the 400's?

I've always gone down a whole set from whatever the manufacturers suggest for my trad setup. Point weight plays a big part in the tuning process as your finding out.

I cut my arrows 2" longer than my draw weight and use a size down for all my arrows with 145grs for the tip and the standard inserts. Seems to work well for me with just about any arrow.

Check your recommended brace height as well, if it's not set right it'll screw everything up as well.

Send me a pm with your email and I can send you some trad now and trad arrow tuning articles I've saved to help me out when I get stumped.

nilo80: I've found that Gold Tip shafts are fairly inconsistent from one to the next. Some are stiffer overall and some are stiffer bending in one direction than another direction - this will give problems with up and down flight. If you will shoot each shaft individually and twist the nock slightly each time (bare shaft only) you should be able to get the erratic ones to fly straighter. When you get them to fly straighter then mark them to keep them that way when you fletch them up. Some will fly straighter than others. Obviously only put broadheads on the best ones.

BTW I've had very good luck with Stu Miller's Spine Calculator (free) for predicting the correct arrow for your bow.

You also asked what others are shooting:
55# Black Widow recurve (nearly center shot) at 29-1/2" draw, 30-1/2" Carbon Express Heritage 340 spine, 200 grain point.
Also 45# Black Widow (same riser, different limbs) at 29-1/2" draw, 30-1/2" Gold Tip Traditional 55-75 spine, 145 grain point.

The arrow's flight is affected by: riser sideplate distance from center shot, shaft length, shaft spine, brace height, and nock fit in about that order.

OP
N

nilo80

FNG
Thanks for the info elkstabber. I'll keep messing with things and figure it out.